Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

More English movies in Jena please!

20 posts in this topic

Posted

We all know that Thüringen is such a backwater that the only place where they show English movies are in Jena. That is partly due to the large foreign student population there. That was something that I liked about Jena. Even if Erfurt is a bigger City, there isn't enough demand to show English (or Spanish) movies aside from small viewings at the Engelsberg, and sometimes at the FH in Erfurt or the Catholic Church. Otherwise, all movies here are dubbed, which really gets my goat. German translations are really good...most of the time. But can you imagine watching Fargo in German? I swear it isn't the same!

I don't relish going all the way to Berlin or to Frankfurt to watch English films.

Here enters my love for The Hunger Games trilogy.

I sent Cinestar Jena an e-mail asking whether they will show Hunger games in English, since they show most of the big studio movies in English, if there is enough demand for it. And I got this sad e-mail:

Vielen Dank für Ihre Mail und Ihr Interesse an CineStar!

leider bekommen wir voraussichtlich keine englischsprachige Originalversion (OV) des Films "Tribute von Panem" ins Programm.

Ein Einsatz von Filmen in OV wird es aufgrund der geringen Besucherresonanz und der schlechten Verfügbarkeit entsprechender Kopien nur noch in seltenen Ausnahmefällen geben. Diese OV-Vorstellungen erkennen Sie dann am Zusatz "OV" hinter dem Filmtitel.

Vielen Dank,

Ihr CineStar - Der Filmpalast. Jena

Please please write them an e-mail asking them to show The Hunger Games in English! and GO watch them!

Posted

CineStar usually does get a lot of the "summer blockbuster" types of films in English (Harry Potter, Star Trek...), so this might just be a one-time exception. Sometimes it does take a week or so after the normal German release for them to get the film in English.

If you're looking for more English films...

*The Schillerhof (http://www.schillerhof.org/) theater gets some movies in English with subtitles.

*The Hörsaalkino (http://www.hoersaalkino.de/) team usually picks a couple of movies to be shown in their original language with subtitles.

*Kassablanca (http://www.kassablanca.de/) frequently shows international films in the original language with subtitles.

*The English department shows English movies more or less on a weekly basis during the semester.

Posted

Yes I know this too. But they don't do the blockbusters so often, they usually show art films. I can get them at the Hirschlaufufer in Erfurt too.

Posted

Buffy,

Cinestar is a cinema chain and they are only a branch here in Jena. They show want the headquarter allocates. So themselves, they have no power to just "order" english films.

Get a DVD. No English Blockbusters here, since only a handful or people watches them. Not financially feasible.

Posted

That's what the e-mail said. You know, I have nothing against DVDs, but there are really some films that you have to watch in the theater. I would not have liked to watch Avatar on my TV (however good it is,) just the same way Fargo in German sucked donkey balls.

Besides, they did show blockbusters in English. I caught all the HP films in Cinestar Jena.

Posted

German films aren't as hard to understand as real life conversations, somehow even the German dub of Yoda and Jar Jar Binks is easier to understand than some people at work :P But seriously, they aren't too bad

Posted

I agree. Most films I won't mind watching in German. No Country for Old Men was better in German.

Posted

Fine then. If you dont mind to watch German films, go to the movies and enjoy. Thread closed. :rolleyes:

Posted

But not the Hunger Games. I would def want to watch that in English. As I said, some films are better in German, but I do prefer watching films in their original. I'm one of those people who doesn't mind subtitles.

Posted

There are none. Face it and stop whining.

Posted

I really want to see it in English too, as do my English students in Eisenach. I was quite surprised to find that they don't show English films considering it's a uni town. I've seen Harry Potter there and the theatre was pretty full, so I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't find Hunger Games to be profitable. Shame, really.

Posted

Why going to Berlin or Frankfurt? Leipzig is pretty close by and there has to be a cinema showing the hunger games OV/OmU

Posted

Nope! I ended up going to Dresden (2 shows). My other alternative was Göttingen (1 show). Only Berlin and Frankfurt have cinemas that exclusively show English mainstream films. I thought that Leipzig would have it too.

Posted

Cinestar Jena is showing the Dark Knight in English today, Monday, and Wednesday at 745 pm!

http://www.cinestar.de/de/kino/jena-cinestar/filmprogramm/the-dark-knight-rises?prefix=20

Posted

Starting tomorrow, the Schillerhof (http://www.schillerhof.org/) will be having "OmU" Mondays.

From their web site:

"In schöner Regelmäßigkeit tauchen Mails in unserem Postfach auf, erreichen uns Anrufe, fragen uns Gäste im Kino: Kommt dieser und jener Film auch als OmU? Oft mussten wir in den letzten Jahren verneinen, schließlich waren originalsprachliche Filmkopien kaum verfügbar. Doch diese Zeiten sind vorbei, die Kinodigitalisierung macht es möglich. Viele Filme sind nun auch in der Originalversion mit deutschen Untertiteln zu bekommen. Darum tragen wir den häufigen Nachfragen ab sofort Rechnung mit einem wöchentlichen OmU-Tag. Immer montags laufen alle Filme, soweit möglich, im jeweiligen Original. Los geht es diesen Montag, sprich am 14.01., mit den oben aufgeführten Filmen. In Zukunft können Sie sich dann ganz bequem im Menüpunkt „Programm“ informieren. Filme im Original mit deutschen Untertiteln tragen das Kürzel „OmU“."

Posted

Yay! Django Unchained! OmU and not just on Monday!

Posted

Without giving any spoilers, parts of this film would not make much sense if dubbed.

I reckon Tarantino deliberately puts some German language into the script so they'll be more likely to show it in original in Germany.

Posted

The subtitles of Django were pretty awful, anyway... "Scheiß an die Wand!"

Posted

Oh goodie, my pet hate subject ... German dubbing. I once asked my German neighbour why everything here was dubbed and this is his exact reply 'Because Germans are so fucking lazy, if they didn't dub everything the nation wouldn't watch anything!

That is as maybe but there isn't one film made in the history of cinema that is worth watching when dubbed into German or infact any other language!

I've recently re-watched the original (and superb) 'Girl with the Dragon Tatoo' trilogy and accidently left the English dub version on for the second disc. Within seconds I realised how shit it was and reverted to the original Swedish with English subs. 1000% better (although Swedish is an incredibly boring and monotonic language).

Right, that's that sorted.

Next ..... German kids English language skills and the state of daytime German radio (fucking shite).

Posted

More recently, Cinestar has been showing big blockbusters in the original late at night on Tuesdays and Thursdays (Star Trek, Gravity...). The show times could definitely be better but it's better than nothing if you're desperate.