Health insurance and unemployment

30 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all,

I will end my contract in Munich on the 30th April and on the 1st June I will start my new job in Hamburg.

I am a TK member, what about that? Do I have to pay it by myself?

Thanks

Marco

Posted

Ask yourself the question ""Why shouldnt I""...

Then come back and answer.

Posted

As somebody who is between jobs, you will likely be charged around 140€ for the month of May. Talk to TK about this.

Posted

As Leon suggested, probably you know need to a bit of money during the unemployment time. The best way is to talk to TK. Good luck

Posted

Did you quit your job? Are you eligible for unemployment insurance?

Posted

Hi Engelchen, this is interesting. So one can claim health insurance if they have paid social benefits? Of course, during the cases as contract terminated or so...

Posted

I Dont fully understand why I got so many Reds..

Many folk here seem to think that its the employers resposibillity to pay the insurance...

It may be that They have some obligation.. but wise up, its "YOUR" insurance...

Posted

If you have worked for at least 12 months, you may qualify for unemployment and if you do, they will pay your health insurance. You can talk to Arbeitsamt about this. You should actually have registered with Arbeitsamt 3 months before the end of your contract as looking for work in order to avoid any waiting time for benefits so that may affect something that you are now a week late but if you do it right away, you can ask them at the same time how it works.

Posted

I Dont fully understand why I got so many Reds..

Ask yourself the question ""Why shouldnt I""...

Then come back and answer.

Sometimes your replies can be a wee bit snarky. If you don't have an answer, maybe just say nothing.

Many folk here seem to think that its the employers resposibillity to pay the insurance...

It may be that They have some obligation.. but wise up, its "YOUR" insurance...

You may be correct in your interpretation. However, I think the OP was just asking: "What do I do for that month?"

To the OP: I agree with the suggestions - just ring your insurance and ask them what you should do.

Posted

Be quiet :)

I am not asking why the law is saying this and blablabla

Just asking what should I do, nothing more.

I will call TK, just to know and let's see.

Thanks

Marco

Posted

If you do not qualify for the 1 month unemployment between jobs, you pay for the month and it is currently 145€ - nothing changes in your coverage- then when you start your new job - it changes back to employer half/you half. But you do need to go into the TKK office and sign up as "Freiwillig" for that one month. Note though, that you won't actually pay that 145€ until the middle of the month the following month, so you won't actually have to have money going out that month you are not working ;)

Edit - and if you have quit your job to start a new job - you wont qualify for unemployment anyway, as then there is always a 3 month waiting period to start claiming - so would not help anyway.

Good Luck!

Posted

Yes, I forgot to say, I quit my job as I found a better opportunity.

So, that means I will have to pay for the month of May in the month of June, right?

Thanks

Marco

Posted

Yes, But you need to make sure you go into TKK before the end of April in order to there to be no interruption. You sign up as Freiwillig and then you pay 145€, which they invoice you for the month after (so in June). Can't guarantee it is that way 100% - but that is how it worked with mine. I was afraid something had got screwed up or lost in the process as never got the charge on my account - called them - and they said is posted the month after. Ended up being middle of the month the following month.

Good luck with the new job!

Posted

Hi...so...I've contacted TK and they told me to fill this form in:

https://www.tk.de/centaurus/servlet/contentblob/344704/Datei/73168/Application-for-membership.pdf

That means do I have to register like if I am new to TK?

What about my present subscription? Actually, I simply need insurance from 1st May to 31st May

Thanks

Marco

Posted

Hey all,

I'm in a similar position as described here (I have planned a one month gap between jobs). As recommended in this thread, I will contact my health insurer.

I just wanted to ask if anyone knows of anything else I have do? Should I contact Deutsche Rentenversicherung, or register with the Arbeitsamt (even though I will obviously recieve no benefits, having resigned)? Or is all the rest automatic...?

Posted

In order to protect your rentenversicherung contributions and not to leave a gap in your employment history, you should actually register as looking for work, even if you aren't eligible for any benefits. The only difference is that the rentenversicherung will then put down "unemployed" for that period instead of simply nothing and that could affect your benefits ever so slightly some umpteen years in the future.

Posted

All i know of is if you are unemployed and it is of your own doing you are still covered for 1 month by your own insurance.

Posted

Similar situation here - was TK "freiwillig" versichert. Quit job end of April start next one beginning of June.

TK sent me a form to rejoin on 1 May as "familienversichert" (my wife is pflichtversichert) then said I would be able to rejoin as Freiwillig on 1 June. They also asked me to cancel my membership in writing to 30 April. All done and I have heard nothing from them.

Actually I'd have happily foregone €145 to not have to write letters and fill forms in but they didn't offer that at the time.

Posted

@scoffer, did you do the Arbeitsamt thing? If so, did you have to go there or just phone/post?

Posted

JimFi, you can read about the procedure as shown in English on this page on Unemployments Benefits first but, as some registration forms are not available online, you will have to visit your local office of the Arbeitsagentur. Their English language pages are limited in scope so won't cope with searches for location of offices. I can't tell from your profile where you are but as an example when using their German pages this page shows 29 hits for Arbeitsagentur Berlin. You should enter your city and PLZ to obtain results according to your needs. Once you know which office you will be visiting you can book a Termin online to save you extended waiting time.

2B