Moving to Waldshut-Tiengen...

46 posts in this topic

Posted

I am an American girl, 25...only have a high school diploma.

My boyfriend is German and we have been together over 2 years and his work visa is up in the U.S.A. and he was offered a position at PSI (Paul Scherrer Institut)and will be moving to Waldshut-Tiengen next week and I will move with him in April.

I have heard there will be no opportunities there for me as far as work or school, is this true? I don't speak German at all, neither.

I am truly scared to death. Can anyone tell me their experience with this area?

Is there really nothing there at all?

Thanks,

Schnuckiputz

Posted

In my opinion, unless you marry him it is unlikely that you will get a work permit, and without speaking german your chances of study are minimal. In fact I wonder how you are planning to move here, are you coming on a tourist visa?

Work out your legal situation, if you cannot work, or study, and have only a tourist visa, you will need to work out what you re going to do. Most likely that means getting married, or theoretically learning german, and some specific skills and qualifications that get you legal to work here.

Posted

Marriage is out of the question for him. He told me that he does not wish to get married any time soon. He is only going to be working at PSI for 2 years, so residence will not be permanent.

I am trying to learn German, I hope I can learn quickly.

Posted

http://en.wikipedia...aldshut-Tiengen

As most towns Waldshut has a VHS school (community college) where you can take German classes for little money. As far as work is concerned: Depends on what you are willing to do. Cleaning jobs e.g are usually availiable everywhere (except Berlin, maybe) and you don't need that much German to do it.

Posted

Marriage is out of the question for him. He told me that he does not wish to get married any time soon.

Do you want to tag along to a foreign country with this man? Deciding to marry someone is a huge commitment, but so is moving to a place whose language and culture you are completely unfamiliar with.

Posted

If this boy isn´t prepared to marry you, but is prepared to support you in every way, then maybe you should move here.

If not, then how are you going to get by?

You have the Visa situation - you need specific skills, or an offer of a job (AFAIK) to be able to get the right visa. Or, you need to be married to a German. If not, then you are limited to either a student or tourist visa, both of which are for a limited period, and then what...?

Learn German, consider ways of inproving your qualifications/skills base - whether by distance learning, or by staying in the States a bit longer, and also consider what you want the future to bring ...

Oh, and don´t be "scared" - it uses up vital energy that you can well use elsewhere! :)

Posted

schnuckiputz - these are your options for staying more than 90 days: Applying to live long term in Germany

Does your boyfriend not realize that you can't just come and live with him in Germany for a year without jumping through a lot of hoops? What is he doing to help you?

Posted

He is more than willing to support me, but I am not prepared to be his "Hausfrau" especially since I like to work...and we have no children and are not married.

He keeps telling me that he is looking and trying to find something for me.

I guess I will just go there and give it 90 days, if I feel I cannot find a job or an education, or if he isn't prepared to help me with the language I will move back here.

Love sucks :(

I would love to get married to him, but he said that we should date at least 8 years first...because Germans don't just marry people 2 years after they start dating.

Posted

Fear is relative - it might help to bear in mind that you are only one flight from home, and nobody is forcing you to stay here!

Give it a chance!

Go and see something of the world, and if it really isn´t for you, then at least oyu have tried!

(don´t forget to look into distance learning when checking out your options!)

Posted

Spellbound and robinson100, thanks...I like the way you both put that. I am totally looking forward to experience something new, so that made me feel a little better :)

Posted

I would love to get married to him, but he said that we should date at least 8 years first...because Germans don't just marry people 2 years after they start dating.

My German husband proposed after only 2 years, and we were married before the end of our 3rd year together.

Posted

As most towns Waldshut has a VHS school (community college) where you can take German classes for little money.

This looks like pretty much your only option. To get a language-learning visa you would have to prove that you were enrolled in a full-time (at least 18 hrs a week) German language course.

Your chances of getting a work permit for unskilled jobs is next to none.

Yes, and the 8 years of dating thing sets off alarm bells in my head. My German husband and I were married four years after we met and it was pretty clear that it was a serious thing after about two years.

Posted

I am definitely considering VHS. I will talk to him about it as soon as he gets home, because he told me there was nowhere for me to go to a school there at all. Thanks for that information, Beuel and Westvan.

Posted

Sorry to be so direct: if he doesn´t marry you soon, your relationship is over. Only my opinion. And if he tought you a word like Schnuckiputz...I´d rather not give any opinion on that one.

Posted

but I see that the PSI is in Switzerland

Yes it is - in Villigen, Switzerland. I visited the Paul Scherrer Institute PSI about 25 years ago when it was under its previous name of SIN (Schweizerisches Institut für Nuklearphysik). Interesting place - I was shown their facilty where they treated cancer patients with various particles rather than gamma radiation.

Posted

Thank you, very much Elyle! If I have any questions I will totally PM you. Everyone has been so helpful and I feel quite a bit better now.

And what is wrong with the pet name "Schnuckiputz"? I thought it was adorable.

Posted

Nothing's wrong with it. It's very sweet.

Hope everything works out for you!

Posted

I do wish you all the best, but am a bit worried that you seem not to have realized that you *will* have to deal with bureaucracy to come here. From what you write, your BF doesn't seem to have any awareness of this either.

Will you come in on a tourist visa? If so, please be aware that after 90 days, you will need to leave - not just Germany, but the Schengen area - for 90 days, before you are allowed back in again on a tourist visa. This could get expensive, and the authorities will not allow you an unlimited number of 90 days in/90 days out. And yes, they do check on this, and if you get caught overstaying, you will be deported.

The link that westvan gave is very helpful, take time to read through it thoroughly.

schnuckiputz - these are your options for staying more than 90 days: Applying to live long term in Germany

Info on work permits is also given in the link. Unfortunately, with only a high school diploma (i.e. no special skills that are in demand) and little or no language skills, it will be very hard, if not impossible for you to get a job. Where you married to your German, living and working here would be easier, but I understand this is not an option. Speaking of which: I would be hard-pressed to come up with any Germans from my broad and diverse circle of acquaintances that dated for 8 years before getting married... that statement sounds just a wee bit bizarre to my ears.

"Schnuckiputz" is... erm... very sweet, but I sure wouldn't want anyone knowing this is what my BF calls me. ;)

(And for the record, mine doesn't...!)