What have you learned today?

77 posts in this topic

Posted

I learnt an interesting thing today, i am currently working on the new schloss insel in HH/harburg and there is a building(which was in front of the then schloss and housed the workers/servants) with round things scattered all over the front of the house,today we learned that they are cannon balls from Napoleons troops,they are embedded in the brickwork and have been left there and preserved since his attack in 1813!Might only be interesting for people living in harburg!This week i also learnt how to put a link on TT ,well it worked the first time but not the second :D so what have you learnt recently enlighten us with your new capabilities and facts. ps used search button but couldn,t find a similar thread

Posted

I learnt today that I want to meet bobbylines over a coffee for a laugh in Harburg as soon as my bad back is less Urmensch!

I´m in Harburg, bobbylines!

Posted

@ bobby - have you got a picture of your balls for us? :D

@ john - I hope you feel better again soon!

@ M - trust your heart - it is generally right, and I am happy for you!

What I learnt?

Well, I am down with the 'flu, so I am being forced to learn to slow down - I cancelled a lesson this afternoon, and excused myself from the FFW AGM this evening, and cleaning at the FFW tommorrow morning.

I think the main thing I have learnt today though, is how tiring life is - just sitting here, I could fall asleep!

Posted

Get well soon robi and john! I started this thread feeling good but now with all these poorly people it's making me sad :( but mlovett saved the day :D

Posted

We´ll survive Bobby - sometimes you really do need to step back and view life from a different angle!

Seriously though, I would be really interested in seeing some photos of those canon balls!

Posted

I learned today that chicken tikka masala is a dish from Glasgow.

Posted

I also learnt today ( well, 39 years ago to the day ) that Tegucipgalpa is the capital of Honduras.

I also learnt ( but really today ) that you need to get cat litter reserves in before the weekend because he´s looking at me and implying I don´t care...

Posted

I learned today that when I do an extremely hard emergency brake the seats of my car actually move in a pre crashing position and this worried me a little bit

Posted

Which part of a Girl Scout is used in the recipe?

Posted

I have learnt today that mrs bobbylines is getting better and better at making bacon and egg butties!(i knew it would pay off one day getting married all those years ago ;) )i also learnt that nearly 60%of the drinking water in America is used for watering lawns , golf courses and gardens, a frightening thought.

Posted

I learned that even when it has snowed and it's freezing cold and Wannsee is all iced over, a run through Grunewald is still awesome... doesn't make me any less jealous of those people in Santa Cruz enjoying 74F/23C sunny weather this weekend, but I feel like I had a tougher battle today and defeated nature, so that makes me feel better.

Posted

I´ve learnt nothing new today but 5 hours and 17 minutes to go!!

Posted

I was walking around and seen many beehives, so I asked myself, do bees hibernate? I came home, looked it up and can now say I have learned something new. They do not hibernate, but rather swarm together around the queen and continuously rotate themselves into the center so the outer bees do not freeze. They consume nearly 15kg or 30 lbs of honey per winter season.

Posted

I have learnt today(after reading the daily mail) that i am a typical expat although i would have put pubs at the top of the list ;) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2093672/Expats-pining-green-green-hills-home.html

Posted

Above is the proof that i have now learnt how to post a link :) now just got to find out how to post a photo :angry:

Posted

i also learnt that nearly 60%of the drinking water in America is used for watering lawns , golf courses and gardens, a frightening thought.

What on earth are the swimming pooLs filled with?

Posted

I learned that Richard Wagner was quite the ladies' man, an anti-Semite, had VERY little formal music training, and was kicked out of Germany more than once.

Posted

What on earth are the swimming pooLs filled with?

With the other 40%? :lol:

Posted

I learnt that the majority of my cow-orkers are useless fucking cunts who can't be trusted to pull their pants down to piss much less lift the goddamned seat.

woof.

Posted

I learned to be grateful for my german Schwiegermutter, for without her, I would never know the full extent of my faults & weaknesses. Blödes Miststück!!!

Posted

That if someone new comes along, thinks they have a fastball , and you and another poster play catch to be nice that the dawg behind you is going to hit out of the park.