Brands of birth control pill available in Germany

17 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm looking for the low-dose equivalent in Germany of the pill I used in the U.S. When I tried to explain to the OB-GYN here that I wanted one just like that I got a shrug of indifference and given Swingo 30. I was told it would be just like that one I used to use. Well, it's not. For one, the dosage is higher and I stupidly decided to give it a go anyways and now I'm having side effects. I need to switch back but don't know what to tell a doctor who insists what I want doesn't exist here. Does anyone know if there is a low dosage pill available here and, if so, could you please give me the name? I'm looking basically for a .02 estrogen one. (Current one is .03.)

Thanks!

Posted

do you still have the packaging from one of your old packs?

If so, take it along to the next chemist and ask what they have with the same ingredients - then you will know what to ask your doctor for.

Actually, I think I would go to a different doctor next time, since this one isn´t really listening to you, is he?!

actually, why don´t you post the name of your previous pills - maybe somebody else on here has used them and swapped ot using a German brand...?

Posted

I used the generic equivalent of Alesse (called Aviane). I think I have some old packaging around here somewhere... I suppose I would need a new prescription from the OB-GYN though, right?

EDIT: Looks like the last few packages were another generic brand called Lutera... 20mcg (.02) estrogen

Posted

Ok, some more info if anyone can look at their packs and tell me a name:

20 µg ethinyl estradiol

100 µg levonorgestrel (US: Alesse, Wyeth; Aviane, Barr; Lessina, Barr; Lutera, Watson; Sronyx, Watson)

Posted

Yaz, Bayer (28 pill pack)

Aida, Jenapharm (21 pill pack)

both are low doses

Posted

Actually, I think I would go to a different doctor next time, since this one isn´t really listening to you, is he?!

Geez. I would switch doctors too. When I first moved here I showed my new ob/gyn what I had been taking before and he actually had a list where he could look up the German equivalent. Not a problem at all. You doc sounds like he was just too lazy to bother.

If I google 20 µg ethinyl estradiol and 100 µg levonorgestrel I come up with Leios as a brand name but I'm sure there are more than that.

Yeah, you would need a new prescription, but as someone said, you can go the pharmacy first and ask them to look up all the brand names since they can put in the active ingredients and come up with all the options.

Here's a pdf file of Leios package insert. Leios

Posted

I used to take Lamuna 20 (0,15 mg Desogestrel and 0,02 mg Ethinylestradiol), never had any side effects and it's a very low-dosed pill!

Posted

Thank you! I will write these names down when I go see the OB-GYN this week for a new prescription.

Posted

I have the exact same issue. The pharmacist at the Apoteke told me there is no low-dose version available in Germany... just curious what you ended up using.

Posted

@ Amaryllis2 - I wonder if you read post #2 already?

The chemists here know their stuff - if you can take along an empty packet of whatever pill you have been using until now, they will be able to advise you one which ones have the same ingredients, and thus you can easily find out what to ask your Doctor for - BTW, you don´t have to go to a Frauenarzt to get a prescription; your Hausarzt can also issue one.

Failing the local chemist, you could try looking online for the pills you usually take (many are imported through the Netherlands, and can be ordered online at a lower price!), but you might still need to persuade your doctor to issue a prescription for them.

Posted

I get Yaz, which I started to take a few years ago. I used to be on Yasmin, the higher dose version of Yaz, but when Yaz became available my doc (at the time in South Africa) switched me to that straight away. They should always be aware of the new products. I can recommend Yaz as being side affect free for me. However, reading the above, I'll probably ask my gynae here if any even more lower dose stuff would suit, as it looks like more and more is coming onto the market.

Also, never just settle for what your doc says if you don't feel comfortable with it. If you're not comfortable with your gynae, get a new one!

Posted

Yes, I had the US drug info with me (Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo). The German reference table says Pramino is an equivalent, but it's not (0.035 mg estrogen in Pramino; 0.025 mg in Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo). The pharmacist checked all other brands and couldn't find any low-dose versions available here...

Posted

Amaryllis, what a strange coincidence! I was also using OTC Lo in Canada, and got a scrip for Pramino today... no idea it was a higher dose. Hopefully there won't be any side effects...! Good luck with your search.

Posted

I ended up with Swingo - 20 which had the exact same levels as what I noted above in my U.S. dosage. A helluva lot better, no horrible side effects (at least for me). But, I have not been back to that OBGYN since because I was not a fan of him... if anyone has a rec for Berlin - preferably a female who can speak some English - I'm all-ears. I'll search the TT forum too, of course.

Posted

I posted this over in the Berlin section, and even though he's male: I can highly recommend Dr. Pett in Kreuzberg: Adalbertstraße 16, 10997 Berlin Telefon: (030) 616 95 40 I did live in Berlin for 8 years, have found him through recommendation from a then colleague and found him to be excellent, gentle, thorough and always taking his time to explain things. There is a day case clinic in the same building, which is great for short surgeries like fitting a coil painfree or things like when I had my tubes tied there.

Posted

I don't take the pill so I can't offer any advice on this one, but I was highly amused that there's a pill called Swingo. Reminded me of Tarzan :rolleyes: But my favourite is Marvelon, which to me sounds like a superhero.

"Help, help! It's a contraceptive emergency!"

"Fear not, madam, help is near. Just call Marvelon!"

Anyway. Ahem. Do carry on.

Posted

My Dr. gave me Miranova when I first came here. It was the equivalent of whatever generic low dose I was taking back home. I googled and it says it has levonorgestrel 0,1 mg and ethinylestradiol 0,02 mg.