Skilled jobs w/o German language requirement

142 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello all,

I've been a lurker here for a while and i've seen varying answers from all sorts of people. So I was thinking it would be good to have a centralised thread on the issue.

People are always asking what jobs can native English speakers do in Germany without a sufficient level of German. And the usual answers are unskilled things like work in an Irish pub, ESL teacher etc.

However, I want to know what skilled (by skilled I mean those that require a university degree or apprenticeship to be qualified) positions are in such demand in Germany where one could reasonably expect to find a job without a fluent level of German?

Please, only respond if either you or someone you know has acquired a job based on this criteria. The last thing we need is more mis-information and half truths being spread on this forum!

and thanks in advance for all the feedback!

Posted

I want to know what skilled (by skilled I mean those that require a university degree or apprenticeship to be qualified) positions are in such demand in Germany where one could reasonably expect to find a job without a fluent level of German?

With or without experience?

Without German and any experience, it is difficult in most areas. However, there are jobs for certain types of engineers and certain IT jobs. For example, I know that SAP has many programmers and Bombardier hires engineering graduates (with very good grades) who don't speak German.

Posted

With or without experience?

Without German and any experience, it is difficult in most areas. However, there are jobs for certain types of engineers and certain IT jobs. For example, I know that SAP has many programmers and Bombardier hires engineering graduates (with very good grades) who don't speak German.

I suppose if experience is required, then that should be noted. Either with or w/o experience is ok.

Posted

Hello,

Someone wants me to ask this question:

What about the Job prospects for a person who has MBA in Human Resources from India in English Medium (not from top level business school in India) and thereafter four and half years experience as HR of a British Company in CIS Countries.

Before MBA(2 years' educaton), he had 12 plus 4 years' education. The last 4 years' education immediately before MBA was in English Language as a First Major and German as a Second Major but I am not sure if German was a subject in all 4 years' education or only 1-2 years. Siuation now is most of the Germans forgotton by now as it was of no use after 2004-5 but a kind of confidence that A1 Level of German will be earned within next 2 months (our assumption, not sure if the target is very aggresive! or should we raise the bar!). Before MBA and After 16 years of education, one year's experience in teaching English in a University in a CIS Country.

Any idea about the likelihood of succeeding in finding job in Germany? Challenges? Way Forward? Age: Touching 30 soon.

Posted

Siuation now is most of the Germans forgotton by now as it was of no use after 2004-5 but a kind of confidence that A1 Level of German will be earned within next 2 months

A1 is not going to help much. He should try taking a few online placement tests to determine his level. C1/C2 and the ability to read and understand German employment law on the other hand would increase his chances.

Any idea about the likelihood of succeeding in finding job in Germany? Challenges? Way Forward? Age: Touching 30 soon.

What has he been doing in HR for the past 4.5 years(i.e. training, processing international transfers, hiring, etc)? Any chance of a transfer with the British company?

I suppose if experience is required, then that should be noted. Either with or w/o experience is ok.

You would probably get more answers if your question wasn't so general.

Posted

Most engineering jobs in aviation would not require German language. Nor would a pilot.

Posted

Yes, raise the bar!!! I wouldn't put A1 knowledge of anything on a CV, for example. Previous knowledge/studies should help shift the level forward at a quicker pace, though. He should aim for B1 as an absolute minimum (imho).

Posted

@chamatkaribaba

C1/C2 level is necessary. Even if he gets into a big international company, most of the internal processing, work council things will be in German.

Besides, good knowledge in German labour law will be a key requirement. If he is residing in India, getting a work permit will be REALLY difficult. Too much trouble for the company to convince the German authorities that they need to "import" a HR person from India.

Intra company transfer is the only hope.

Posted

Hi,

Thank you all for your inputs.

I have just got an abstract of his CV here. I am putting up a summary of activities from CV. Please let me have your inputs. I think we can only talk in general on the aspects of CV presentation concentrating on how certain things in CV will make sense or be appealing to employer.

The Gentleman is responsible for following things in the company(for the past 1.5 years):

-Responsible for Resourcing, Learning and Development agenda:

-Managing all steps of recruitment, coordinating international recruitment

-Providing input on headcount budgeting and forecast activities

-Providing input to management and business performance reports on headcount, vacancies, learning and development, employee opinion survey

-Development and implementation of Talent Management and Nationalization plans

-Managing Training budget and forecast activities

-Designing Company Learning and Development plans

-Conducting development needs assessment analysis, focused groups surveys

-Organizing in house trainings/workshops, liaising with external training providers

-Reviewing Learning and Development process

-Drafting HR presentations for internal and external meetings

And before that, in initial year of joinging the job (for the period of 2.5 years):

-Provided support on a day to day HR Operations issues combined with responsibility for personnel administration:

-Worked out and introduced Global Induction procedure for local employees, international and rotational assignees

-Worked out and introduced Internship procedure

-Implemented and maintained SAP HR system. Nominated as HR SAP Super User.

-Ensured employee data integrity and consistency in HR reporting

-Reviewed and amended HR Policies & Procedures (Leave policy, Staff policy, Induction procedure)

-Managed recruitment of contractors and junior staff roles

-Provided support on HR processes (Annual Development Review, Annual Performance Review, Annual Salary Review)

-Focal point for employee queries on HR procedures/policies/processes

-Provided input on employee communication (drafted memos, owner of HR news column in internal newspaper)

-Responsible for personnel administration issues to ensure compliance with the local legislation:

-Employee contract administration

-Maintaining HR database (Access)

-Job offer preparation

-Maintaining personnel files and shared HR folders

-Service contracts administration

-Maintaining and updating Job Description library (conducted job analysis and job specification for new roles)

-Supporting HR team in HR reporting

I am just trying to be more specific here in terms of responsibilities and performance while talking of someone's experiences.

N To clarify, he is a national of a CIS country, based in his native country. He is working in a subsidiary of a British Company in his country (not in India,He went to India only for his two years MBA study) and has good English.

As pointed out above, Learning Germany may be easier for him as he already has some years' of University Education. But, I am not sure how German Language Levels work here. Generally, as a regular working people who will be learning say 2-3 hours of Germany everyday can reach to C1/C2 level in how many months? Years?? :(

Without Learning German, I got job here but to continue for a long term and for travelling around and knowing cultures, I need to know German. I have joined 80 hours course which I am entitled through office. I am not sure if that is for meeting A1 Level? as my job contract only mentions number of hours.

Any short info on German Language Levels would be appreciated but that can be in a separate thread or any links to akin thread.

And regarding company transfer, that company is not incorporated in Germany and also does not ahve any branch here.

Thanx all for inputs.

Posted

Now you pushed the wrong button!

esp on Friday 13th. Evil spirits will come out now

Posted (edited)

Now you pushed the wrong button!esp on Friday 13th. Evil spirits will come out now

Should I delete my post then? :) I have been already hammered for my another post here. Is the post in the wrong place? :( I mean in wrong thread? :( N Isn't it little early to start the friday thingii? So, hope people will be kind this time.

Posted

@imapretender,

EADS continues to post many engineering and management jobs in Germany with English as the sole language requirement. However the level of experience required is usually around or over 10 years and the desired level of education is MS.

I hope this helps.

BTW can someone knock this cremerere knucklehead offline?

Posted

Interesting thread...

I am actually aware of several bank jobs that would hire Americans whose German is virtually non-existent but who have experience either in banking legal matters or financial trading. Depending on your background applying in the bank sector (despite its sub-par reputation) is not the worst perspective. However, be prepared to fight a lot of rejection...

Posted

Science and Technology fields- My husband and I both got jobs in Science (Biology and Chemistry respectively) and then I started a PhD in Biology after working for a year as a biologist. I have several friends who got jobs in IT in Germany that speak solely English on the job...

Posted

Second the science/technology thing. I'm in the Pharma business, at corporate headquarters, not a country affiliate/subsidiary. Technically the working language is English...although German is spoken by the majority of my colleagues. I was recruited in for special skills obtained outside of Germany, but fluent (at least business-wise) English is a requirement.

Posted

I've worked as a Software Engineer for two companies in Munich, both had English as the official company language, and neither cared about my level of German. On the other hand, I've also been refused an interview for a Software Engineering job on the basis that I wasn't a native German speaker. So it definitely varies from company to company.

Posted

I came to Germany to work in international Telecoms toward multinationals, we often look for native or excellent english speakers to work in the International environment with customers and or/our sister companies. German is a bonus of course...but not essential...

Posted

I work in a multinational and handle international projects, german is not required.

Posted

What is your role there? and what jobs don't have a German requirement?

Posted

@rugbycoach and @desdemoda...are you both working in Bonn?

Posted

What is your role there? and what jobs don't have a German requirement?

auditor.

No, i don't work in Bonn. But we do have general idea which company rugbycoach works at :-D

Posted

I've been working fo a german pharma company in Aachen (NRW) for going on 11 years now. German was required back in 2001, but now english has become the official company language and an increasing number of non-german speaking persons, even in senior management positions, have come on board.

Currently, I'm looking to recruit someone ASAP for my department!!! The position is "Scientific Analyst - Competitive Intelligence" and it is a senior manager level. You need to have a few years experience in pharma R&D with an educational background in a scientific field.

Note: When I met with our HR manager to officially post this position, I was told that I had to delete the line, under the requirements section, that proficiency in german would be a plus.

I'm also fixing up a 63 sqm flat to rent out in the city center - 5 minute walk from the Marktplatz and Dom. Should be available by 01 March.

Feel free to contact me if either or of interest to you!

Judy

jbashworth@me.com

Posted

Hi friends,

I have been reading your interesting posts.

I am a IT consultant with several years of exp across diff countries.

Now, due to family reasons, i want to move to Germany. I have studied German till B1 level.

in English, i have native level knowledge.

I see lots of jobs relevant to my skillset on monster and keep applying for the same, but not luck.

I wanted to know, if you know any consulting company/job placement company which can sponsor my work-permit/search for job for free or for a fee?

Your help would be highly appreciated.

Regards

Dan

Posted

I am a IT consultant with several years of exp across diff countries.

Now, due to family reasons, i want to move to Germany. I have studied German till B1 level.

in English, i have native level knowledge.

I see lots of jobs relevant to my skillset on monster and keep applying for the same, but not luck.

I wanted to know, if you know any consulting company/job placement company which can sponsor my work-permit/search for job for free or for a fee?

I'd recommend joining Xing, as this is bigger than LinkedIn here in Germany. Also, there are some other sites, like placement24.de , stepstone.de , but I'm not sure if it's worth paying for it.

If you have a degree in the IT field, there's a special visa for highly-qualified professionals, called Aufenthaltstitel zur Arbeitsplatzsuche für qualifizierte Fachkräfte. It basically allows you to request a 6-month residency permit to search for a job here. If you don't have a degree, then it's a bit more complicated, and you'd have to get a job contract before requesting the permits.

When you find something, you can apply to the long-term Blue Card. Now, this is interesting (at least for me): you don't need to have a degree to get a Blue Card (like you need for the job search visa). The Blue Card law says that you need to have either a "degree or 5 years of relevant experience", but that's when you have a job contract already.

Most companies I've talked to have no idea how the visa process work and they might get a bit scared. I'd suggest to read as much as you can about this from trusted sources, not from some guy in an internet forum, and explain to the company that it's not that hard. And there are also companies that can help you with this process. I'm not ready to recommend any company yet, as the company that took care of my first visa doesn't deserves to be recommended, and I'm in the beginning of the process with another company for this second visa.

As a final recommendation: there are a lot of jobs that states "fluent German" in the requirements, but that might not be strictly true (unless it's a consultant-like position, where you have to deal with German-speaking customers). I do recommend, however, sending your cover letter in German, which should not be a problem if you have B1.

Posted

@BigEnglish,

I have just caught up with this post. As a helicopter pilot for the past 22 years in the US, there are "other" challenges for flying in Germany. For one, the FAA Certificates I hold are not recognized by the JAA/EASA and I would have to re-learn and re-test for my EASA/ATP-H Helicopter ratings... even with my years of experience. I am told by many flight departments this would take about 6 month's to take all 13 written tests, and then prepare for a check flight with an authorized facility.

I am also an Apple iOS Developer and Apple technician, and will be getting my Apple Certifications for OSX and Hardware support at the end of Sept. I am also enrolled in 3 separate German language classes to try and get myself up to at least a level B2 before Nov 1st, my target date to move to Berlin/Mitte area. But as many have said here, it is indeed difficult to get work unless you have a specialized skill set, or know someone on the inside. But this is my goal... I have applied to the new Apple store that is supposedly going in at Kurfürstendamm 26, but have not heard anything back from them as of yet. I do know from speaking with other Apple employee's that it has taken as long as 3 month's before hearing back. If anyone is in the area, maybe you could snap a quick pic of the area to show the progress...

I may also just have to jump right in and fly over on a 3 month tourist visa and look daily face to face for work... I know from past experience, it's much easier for a potential employer to be much more willing to hire someone they can interview in person and not have the additional worry of bringing someone all the way from the U.S.