Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Formula One 2012 season (F1 motor racing)

181 posts in this topic

Posted

From BBC

Robert Kubica has suffered another setback in his attempt to return to Formula 1 after breaking his right leg in an accident at his house in Italy.

It is the same leg he broke in a high-speed rally crash almost a year ago.

The Pole needs an operation to have a metal screw inserted just above his ankle and then faces a month in plaster.

He is said to have lost his footing in the garden of his house in Pietrasanta, near the coastal town of Viareggio.

I really fear he's just never going to be the driver he was. Shame as it's probably the strongest ever grid at the moment?

Posted

Adrian Sutil to stand trial for GBH. He hasn't got a drive for 2012 yet and this could scupper his chances completely.

Posted

The thing that puzzles me about that is the question of jurisdiction - why is a Munich court presiding over an incident alleged to have been committed albeit by a German who lives in Switzerland and happened in Shanghai? Don't get me wrong - if he did it, he deserves punishment, but I'm surprised, as there seems to be no suggestion that it is an extradition hearing.

Posted

F1 driver Adrian Sutil convicted over nightclub fracas

German Formula 1 driver Adrian Sutil has been convicted of causing grievous bodily harm to a F1 team owner and given an 18-month suspended sentence.

A court in Munich reached the verdict after a two-day trial. The German driver was also ordered to pay a 200,000 euro (£167,224; $264,092) fine.

Renault F1 executive Eric Lux suffered cuts during the incident in a Shanghai nightclub last April.

Sutil, aged 29, has already apologised over the incident.

Both he and Mr Lux were among guests at a party to celebrate Lewis Hamilton's victory at the China Grand Prix in the Chinese city.

The Renault team has since been renamed Lotus.

Sutil was a driver for the Force India team, but they have announced Nico Hulkenberg will replace him.

Posted

What do we think of the cars so far? Have Mclaren, with their much better style of nose got it right, or got it totally wrong?

Posted

They're all fugly, that step-nose design is quite horrible. Interesting to see the McLaren taking a different approach - at least it resembles an F1 car though.

Very much looking forward to having Kimi back on the grid. 6 world champs for 2012 by my count.

Posted

Would be nice to see a new one too

Posted

Indeed.

It means shit so early on, but Kimi was fastest in today's first test.

Posted

I'm tempted to support Force India just for the hammerhead. But yeah, looks like a bad year for good looking cars.

Posted

I certainly hope McLaren got the right solution, those step down noses are horrible, not even Newey could make it look right. Having said that, F1 is a copy cat sport, if one solution works better than another, teams will quickly adapt the change into their design. I would actually be surprised if all other teams got it wrong... too many smart people looking at the same rule.

Like anything else in F1, you get used changes, including aesthetic evolutions; speed will always win over looks!

I am personally hoping someone shakes up the order this year, and it could come from any of the six, or rather five, to exclude Seb. My hope: Hamilton

Posted

Yea I agree those step down noses look shit, but hey, whatever works. I would be up for seeing a good Mercedes season. Be nice to see Rosberg making some bigger waves this year. Would be happy to see Button, Vettel and Rosberg battle it out. All ace drivers. Hamilton, Alonso, Massa and Raikkonen can all feck off in my book...don't like them. Although if they spend the season taking each other out then I would be happy to see di Resta and the like climb up the ranks in their place.

Anyone think Webber has anything more to give this season? Possible dark horse?

Posted

So the pre-seasons are over. As ever hard to read too much into it past there seem a lot of cars within a second of each other. Will be fantastic if that can continue into the season itself.

Really starting to question what value of HRT and Marussia are adding to the event.

Lotus seem to have a reasonable package together? Would be nice to see them Force India close the gap and be racing for the podium.

Posted

Ferrari admitting they are slow, HRT and Marussia strugling already just to show up, and Raikkonen looking strong. Looks like things will be very interesting come Australia! Can't wait.

(Gman, I see no chance for Webber to shine anymore, this will very likely be his last season; great driver, but pairing up with Vettel makes anyone look mediocre and old.)

Posted

Best drivers of all time.

Been done before and always subjective but the BBC are doing a best drivers of all time list to celebrate the 6 world champions on the grid this season. So who are yours?

My top 5.

5. Stewart

4. Schumacher

3. Fangio

2. Clarke

1. Senna

Fangio's stats probably warrant first place but it was right at the start of F1 and the competition wasn't there the way it is now, so for me he drops down a little.

Will be interesting to see where Vettel ends up. He may well be in the mix by the end of his career.

Posted

Well mine would be:

1. Clark

2. Schumacher

3. Prost

4. Senna

5. Stewart

Fangio may well have been better, but was so far before my time that I don't feel qualified to comment, whereas Clark was the driver who gave me my interest in F1 in the first place. I can remember where I was on the day he was killed, at a hill climbing event.

Posted

1. Gilles Villeneuve

2. Tazio Nuvolari

3. Ayrton Senna

4. Jimmy Clark

5. Juan-Manuel Fangio

Being a World Champion can be a bit like when the planets align and all things fall into place. I saw Gilles over 6 weekends doing things with pigs of cars that couldn't possibly be done.. whereas, for example, Michael Schumacher was the best of the field just as all his peers retired, or died, and he was in the best car with the best technical team around him and always a weaker team mate. It puts things into better perspective.

I saw Senna many, many times. First in FF, then that '83 F3 season against Brundle. I was officiating by the time he was at Toleman. I'll never forget him scything through the field down into the Old Hairpin at Donington in '93, but my overriding memory is from Stowe the same year, where he chopped and hassled Prost in the far faster Williams for lap after lap after lap. It was breathtaking.

Posted

My dad's a huge Villeneuve fan. If and when he ever comes over you should meet him.

As discussed offline. Probably Herbert would have been there but for the crash. But you can probably say that about many.

Posted

You should have seen him in the T5. Like getting the HRT to finish 5th TWICE!!!

Friday Qualifying, Watkins Glen '79. Nine seconds faster than second place!!!

Posted

I just hope I can get to one of the races this season. I last went to one in South Africa, and then it was Nelson Piquet who took the win, that was ages ago, I still remeber it like it was yesterday though.

Those step down noses do look odd, but they are always coming up with weird design shit for the cars. Once the race starts though, nobody cares about them.

Posted

Jochen Rindt

Interesting first choice. The only posthumous F1 champion and by all accounts a mighty fine car pointer.