Facebook refuseniks of the world unite!

How do you explain to your friends why you still haven't joined?   75 votes

1. 1. How do you explain to your friends why you still haven´t joined the world´s largest online community?

• Who knows where my data will end up?
    • Does every little detail of my life need sharing?
    • Too addictive / time consuming
    • Dislike Facebook policies (other than privacy-related)
    • I find it kin of lame (status update: "posting on Toytown")
    • I´m on Google+ / Toytown etc.
    • I hardly know anyone on Facebook anyway
    • Number of people I want to avoid larger than number of potential new "friends"
    • What´s a Facebook?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

167 posts in this topic

Posted

Here's a poll for all you Facebook refuseniks. How do you explain to your friends why you're still holding out?

Posted

I don´t explain, gmtl! It´s not an issue! Who wants to see my face anyway? :)

Posted

You forgot to add an option for all of the above plus a healthy dose of I'm just being stubborn about it now. :)

I didn't really 'get' social networking at the beginning so it was easy to let it pass me by and stay immersed in the blogiverse instead. And then I found out a bit more about the privacy aspects. And mostly I remembered something I already knew, which is that I'm already in touch with most of the people I want to be in touch with. The number of people I might get in contact with again via facebook who I would actually want to be in contact with again is outweighed by the number of people who I definitely don't want to be in contact with again.

Posted

Toytown and youtube is bad enough, facebook gives me the creeps.

Posted

I never had the urge to put anything on there. Or whatever you do there.

Then you get Facebook fanboys/girls who nag you. And say that you must join. Which makes it even less inviting.

Posted

I've been without FB for a little over a month now...no regrets. :)

Posted

A friend of mine recently closed his account due to privacy concerns. I don't use it personally for much more than browsing photos.

Posted

Impossible to miss what I never had. That goes for blogging, tweeting, etc.

I have enough ass time keeping up with email, TT and another private board.

And, no, I really don't want to see every stupid photo that people want to share.

Posted

I think you hit the nail on the head STB. It's like ad space for individuals trying to sell stuff that you really don't want or need. You end up being hit with this self indulgent deluge of info that, to be quite honest, should never be forced on the public.

I dabbled in it a couple years ago and after reading for the 50th time that friends of mine were "tired and heading to bed" or "so psyched the weekend is here!" or "soooooo sick of work!" I literally glazed over and just stopped going.

Maybe I just have boring friends (not maybe, definitely) but I just never found the value.

Posted

Then you get Facebook fanboys/girls who nag you. And say that you must join. Which makes it even less inviting.

Yep, this annoys the hell out of me. Plus, I'm just plain stubborn. And the other boxes I ticked.

Got a phone? Call me. For photos, there are other sites like Flickr, Shutterfly, etc.

Today someone I hadn't seen in a while stopped and visited when she saw me toiling in the front yard. Meanwhile, neighborhood kids were running around building forts and playing in the back of my property. That's a real community. I should probably install a privacy fence. LOL

TT is addictive enough. I don't need no stinkin' FaceBook! That said, I could envision starting an account for a business.

Posted

When else in history have soooo many people so freely and non-chalantly shared every personal detail of their lives - likes, loves, interests, places, etc. - all within a single piece of software.

Brilliantly done, Mr. Zuckerberg! You've succeeded at taking the most mundane of details from everyday life and selling them for billions of dollars.

Posted

Within the past week, I decided to delete my facebook account after having it for 7? 8? years. That number was horrifying. It also just came to a point of recognizing that anyone who is actually important to me, I can reach by skype or email. I also didn't like the idea of the new "Timeline" format they're using because it's bringing your whole facebook using history to your page. I started using facebook in college, when you could only have a facebook account with a university email address and the user population was a really different crowd of people. I didn't ever imagine that someday I'd have to be (out of politeness) facebook friends with my parents' friends or my boyfriend's parents. I don't like any of the social obligation feelings it brings, i.e. "DIDN'T YOU SEE MY FACEBOOK POST?!?! WHY HAVEN'T YOUR RESPONDED?!?" etc. etc.

It was just one more way of people feeling like they have the right to your immediate attention and 24 hour access to your life, which of course was my own fault for choosing to keep it so long in the first place!

Posted

Here's a poll for all you Facebook refuseniks. How do you explain to your friends why you're still holding out?

While you probably didn't mean anything impolite this entire statement is as good a reason as any to shun facebook.

Thanks for the sterotype.

Not my friends business. I have enough means of communication available if they want talk to me.

I find this whole obessive need to stay "connected" alarming, scary and well, fucking pathetic.

Posted

When I was in the UK at Christmas, my granddaughter insisted on showing me her friends facebook page where she had posted a picture of her naked (but just about decent) baby bump. Really, she may be proud of her soon-to-be baby but posting pictures on a public page seems a little inappropriate. Maybe I am just an old fuddy-duddy (my granddaughter thinks so).

Posted

Agree with tech71: Toytown, emails, phone, mobile phone and Skype: that´s really enough for me. We all need a private sphere of some kind, don´t we? Technological advance is great but being away from it sometimes is also fine.

Posted

I deleted my work colleague as a friend on FB. A couple of days later she confronted me in the kitchen about why I did that to her, it wasn't very nice. That 'Oh yeah' moment was written all over her face when I explained that we dont actually need to be friends on FB as we see each other for 8 hours a day anyway.

It was about then that I realised I wanted out. It was all just a little bit silly. Had to google how to permenantly delete my account though. Pretty complicated as I remember.

Oh and Lamebook is much more fun anyway