St George's School Cologne

16 posts in this topic

Posted

Anyone know if St George's School in Cologne is any good. We maybe moving to the area at the end of this school year and my children aged 13 and 11 will be starting at the new school in August/September. Any information would be very much appreciated, thanks.

Posted

Even I would be interested to know- for my 10 yr old son.

Or, whether should I also check with Cologne Peace School?

Many thanks in advance.

Posted

I worked at St George's School in Duisburg tho , im sure the one in Colgne has the same set up .Its a great school have no fear .

Posted

The best thing to do is to go and see the schools and make up your own mind. Also, follow the good advice on choosing an international school given here by AGIS, the Association of German International Schools (of which St. George's is not a member but CIS is).

http://www.agis-schools.org

It's a huge decision and one that should not be taken lightly so well worth taking the time to really explore the schools and to find out exactly which is the best fit for your child and your family.

Posted

My daughter goes to St. Georges in Duisburg. I see it as an excellent school. They have just moved to a wonderful new site so no lack of investment there and all of the staff have been there for several years. Maybe Cologne is different.

Posted

You have to be aware that what parents see and know and what staff see and know about a school are two vastly different things.

Posted

Kazalphaville, I do not know what you really mean by that...but a only teacher has the capability to rate a school versus relevant benchmarks. And UnionofBritishTutors is a teacher.

I am posting on the other forum page my thoughts following PowerTrader's repeated praise for StG's. No need to repeat myself.

Posted

I was replying to Power Trader (post above mine) and if you had followed the thread, you would have realised that. I am also a teacher so I suppose I also have that capability you talk about (as well as experience with said establishment).

Posted

So, Kazalphaville, what you mean is that the teachers know more than a parent can ever know about a school and that you, speaking as a teacher, are not impressed with St G's?

I do not wish to argue with you as I think that we are of the same opinion; but I just want to show clearly to others what you are saying.

Posted

I think it is pretty clear that parents see a very different side to schools than teachers do ... I also have worked for this school although, when I was there, the parents were very aware of the problems faced by staff.

Mind you, its not the only industry where the public face is different from the experience behind the scenes. I have close contact to the theater world ... and that is not the glamour and glitz we think it is ;-)

Posted

Hi! I have been offered a nursery teaching assistant job at this school , can anyone give me any information on what it is like to work there?

Thanks in advance.

Posted

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Hi,

Anyone know how the St Georges School in Cologne or Dusseldorf support kids with learning disabilities? We are currently living in Istanbul and my kids go the British school here, they are really bad at support kids with disabilities. Is it the same in most international schools? Anyone know if St Georges is any better?

Thank you.

Posted

St George's offer very little for students with learning difficulties. They only want the best students in the school, so lesser able will be eased out of the school. There is no SEN department for secondary school, no counsellors, psychologists. Pupils are just left to get on with it on their own.

Posted

Do you have a child at the school? Or are you a teacher? In their prospectus which they have just sent to me it states there is SEN support at the Duisburg school?

Posted

The term "SEN support" is a rather broad one that can mean anything from providing coloured overlays for dyslexic kids to full on 1-1 support for extreme learning and/or physical problems. You'll probably find that the first example, and other minimal support, is what they mean in most cases in international schools. SEN support is not easily defined and varies hugely from school to school, often depending on the outside agencies, country policies and means of support available in the community in the languages needed for individual cases. Best to check up with a school on what exactly they offer.