It's the New Year, so surprise, I'm joining a gym

15 posts in this topic

Posted

All right, it's high time I got rid of my weird fat rolls - but where? I'd love to hear any Toytown gym recommendations, if you've got them. My priorities are:

- Either no contract at all or a contract which only runs for six months or less; I can't see myself working out at a gym in Munich's perfectly gorgeous summers, which are best spent either running in the English Gardens or dicking around with a beer in one's hand by the Isar.

- That it be sort of on my way home from work - an L-shaped path from mid-Schwabing, to Muenchener Freiheit, up Ungererstrasse. Frankfurter Ring is OK, but I'd like to stay away from the weird industrial part of Milbertshofen that's covered in whorehouses.

- Minimum sleaze factor. I don't know if dirty gyms exist in Germany, to be perfectly honest, but I'm young and female and scared of beefy guys and germs. Is McFit free of these things?

- Price... I'm considering Body + Soul, that newish gym at Alte Heide, but it's seriously like 94 euro a month, which (as my boyfriend informs me) is an absolutely ridiculous price to pay for a workout. Are there cheaper alternatives which still have an awesome pool, saunas, and yoga classes? Do any of you go there and love it lots or hate it bunches?

I've searched, but there doesn't seem to be an exhaustive thread on the topic, so far. Please enlighten me if I am wrong! Thank you very much, fit people.

Posted

Most fitness centres in Munich (and probably elsewhere too!) will let you go along for a free "probe-training", so why not try to narrow down your selection of possibly gyms and then arrange to go along and try out their facilities?

Try using google to find fitness studios in your area/on your way to work, etc

Posted

I can recommend Body & Soul... I often go just for the soul bit :-)

Right? I got a tour there yesterday, and it was gorgeous. I just wish there was some way for it to not be as freaking expensive... and it's weirding me out that they no longer offer a two-week trial period, or any trial period at all. I'd like to know I'm going to use it before committing to anything, really.

Posted

I would recommend Sportzentrum Martinsried..Here goes the link..

http://www.sportzentrum-martinsried.de/

Its best I have come across in terms of motivational training and group fitness programs by Les miles along with fitness classes combined with dancing Like Zumba and other forms of aerobic dancing.

Posted

You are so sweet! :D I think I'm going to go for the one-month thing... it was all just so warm and friendly and expensive-feeling, and I haven't shut up about it since, so obviously something about it intrigued me. Thanks for asking! We should work out sometime, shouldn't we?

Posted

i'd use the search term "gyms in munich", then with CTRL+F put in Munich and find a thread that way. there's something in the guide too. I used to go to Fitness First, but most gyms are expensive with only short-term contracts. the longer you sign up for them, the cheaper they are.

Posted

Hi,

I go to body n soul at Alte Heide too. I pay 64€ a month (instead of regular 74) as there is an agreement with the company I work for that provides us for a 10% discount. I also consider that a rather expensive price to pay for the gym, especially considering that I signed a 18month contract, but the "good" thing is that should you relocate, you can disregard the contract any time you want, no questions asked.

Aside from the price issue, the gym is very nice, state of the art machines (I have only worked out at a better gym when I was in the States, and this one was a very new US college gym) and has quite decent opening times, this is especially important for people who, like me, have often to work out rather late i.e. 10pm.

If you have any questions, just ask!

cheers

Posted

Hi,

I am a Body & Soul member, the place is always very clean and quite (probably that is the reason of the cost). I like it because, there is more than 1 location in town, so I can decide to exercise closed to home or work making my sessions more efficient. I go there mainly for swimming, spinning and saunas ;) sometimes I run outside and use the gym for a shower.

This Saturday, members can bring a friend for free, so let me know if you want to try it out.

I found it very difficult to socialize with people there, since my German is not very good.

Hope more English speakers will join the gym so that I have somebody to train with (less boring)

Best,

Angela.

Posted

I´m with Fit-Star. It is the el-cheapo company and they got 5 gyms in munich.

They do now have a special offer, that is valid until 31.Jan.2013. If you print out a flyer and bring it with you, you´ll save 50% of the sign-up cost, first month for free and get 12 months (carbo-)drinks for free. All three or one, I´m not sure.

You get it if you sign a one year contract.

Sign-up cost is 29 Euro

Monthly fee is 16,80 Euro

You can find the flyer here http://www.fit-star.de/rund-um-fit-star/aktionen

Fit-Star does not have swimming pools and also no sauna. They do not have classes, except at Aidenbachstraße.

You got to pay 50 cents for a shower and bring your own lock. Hardware is not older than 1-2 years and everything is working proper, mostly oldskool design without gadgets.

Posted

LifeStyle Ladies! :) it's a training with Power Plate, so with vibrations. It's cool!

Posted

I highly recommend Body & Soul. I just joined B&S English Garden and love it. I even pass two other B&S's on my way to Alte Heide. I've tried out and been a member at several other gyms around the city and so far this is my favorite, along with B&S Trudering. It's clean, I'm currently doing month-to-month (which most gyms won't allow), and most importantly... even at busy times there is equipment and space available to actually work out. For that reason, I would never join FitnessFirst... it was a MAD HOUSE!

@xstrix - I've found that if I just start speaking English, ie "Can I use that after you?" Most people reply in English and that's gotten me to meet a few people. Also, I'm there once or twice a day if you want to lift one day.

Posted

I had no idea there were so many English speakers at the Alte Heide Body+Soul!

Jesspatriat, I would also really recommend Body+Soul. I have a deal through work, so it's not quite as expensive but you can also cancel your membership with a 6 week notice if you ever leave the country. It's by far the nicest gym I've ever worked out at.

Let me know if you join!

Posted

BAHAHAHA

Alexasky, I no longer am eligible for membership at Body&Soul, owing to my being stuck in the corn in Iowa, but I wish I were still in the neighborhood, just so we could drink an entire bottle of Pitu and fall asleep watching Harold & Maude again.

MISS YO FACE

Posted

I realize that this is a really late reply, but have a look for people "selling" their gym memberships on quoka or ebay kleinanzeigen.

That way you can get a short membership for a fitness studio of your choice and test it to see if you really like (and use) it.

If you like it, you can simply extend the membership.

you want to search for "Fitness Vertrag" or Fitness Mitgliedschaft or just the fitness studio you would like to join.

http://www.quoka.de/kleinanzeigen/cat_51_ct_0.html

Posted

Btw: If you move to a different city or get pregnant, you are entitled by law to cancel your membership. No matter what the gym says :).

Be careful when choosing a gym, I ran into a really REALLY dodgy one before (I think it is called comeup something, close to Georg-Brauchle-Ring).