German lessons in Homburg or Kaiserslautern?

10 posts in this topic

Posted

I am looking for German lessons in any of these two cities or around. I have the Rosetta Stone program, but I am afraid that I need something better. This program is not teaching me any grammar rules, and it can be hard to understand. Currently living in Homburg but if anyone knows of places that have lessons around Homburg, would be fine! :)

Here is where Homburg is located, please not to be confused with Hamburg.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Homburg+Saarland&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x4795daece0743159:0x422d4d510dc3ab0,Homburg,+Germany&gl=us&ei=7fv7TqaPLKfC2wWn96D8CA&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=2&ved=0CC4Q8gEwAQ

Posted

Have you considered the Volkshochschule? Looks like they have German for foreigners at all levels. http://www.vhs.homburg.de/content/pages/2164.htm

Posted

Hi,

I know this is thread is from last year, and you probably have already found German lessons, but I thought I reply anyway.

Definitely Volkshochschule, it has some good classes, my husband took a few courses with them and his German is now really good (he's Australian, I'm German).

How is living in Homburg like? We are considering moving there to be closer to my husband's work (we are currently living in Trier, and he has to commute for ages every day). Are there any areas of the town that should be avoided? And is there something to do, or is the city rather dead (like I hear some others in the area are)?

Hope all works out with your German lessons!

Cheers

Mel

Posted

Hello,

I know this is an old thread, but I recently moved near Kaiserslautern and I am also looking for some affordable German lessons. Like the OP I am learning at home, but I feel I need to take the next step and get into a classroom setting to fully understand the language. Homburg is an option, but it's a bit far. Are there any good and affordable programs someone can suggest in Kaiserslautern?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks :)

Posted

You can also try the university in Saarbrucken! My friend takes classes there and she said she paid less than 500e for 6 months. Saarbrucken would be about 45 min from K town by train!

Posted

Hello,

I know this is an old thread, but I recently moved near Kaiserslautern and I am also looking for some affordable German lessons. Like the OP I am learning at home, but I feel I need to take the next step and get into a classroom setting to fully understand the language. Homburg is an option, but it's a bit far. Are there any good and affordable programs someone can suggest in Kaiserslautern?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks

Hi Hookiedoo, I can teach you German for free. I am a 41-year old German from Kaiserslautern. I am not a teacher, but I think I am good at explaining things. Please check your PM.

Bye, Zeta guy

Posted

Hey guys,

I live in Miesau and I'm currently studying German. I started out with the Pimseluer CD Series and then I went on to studying from a book on my own. There's a class near Ramstein at Grace Studios. Not sure how good it is though. I went there once, but I felt like I went towards the middle of their semester and it required too much catch up. I ended up going to Kaiserslautern Technical University. I tested and was put into A2 German. After A2, I took a test and got into the B1 class. I'm finishing B1 now, with about 2 weeks to go and I'll be moving on to B2 German. I've spoken to my teacher about whether or not I should even try to take B2 because it seems like a lot of the other students like to take B1 twice or even three times. She told me that I spoke well enough and I should just move on to B2. If I stay on track, I should be done with C1 by the end of the year, which is considered to be good enough to speak with anyone. I have a friend that just finished B1 at the VHS and I feel I'm much better than her.

So I would recommend the University classes. They are considered to be a lot better.

Posted

Josh-808,

How intensive are the TU-KL courses, and when do they normally take place? How to you sign up for them if you are not a regular TU-KL student?

I also went through the Pimsleur CDs (which I _really_ liked), then I took 10-15 1.5h session with a teacher from inlingua, then I continued (on-and-off, mostly off unfortunately) with the inlingua books and some Deutche Welle materials on my own. For this month I signed up for the Intensiv-4 course at the Goethe-Institut in Mannheim, but that will lead to a lot of train rides.

A course at TU-KL or at the university in Saarbrücken would work much better for me, it they fit with my work schedule. I am currently past A1, but not past A2. ´

Thanks,

Cris