Filled car with the wrong kind of fuel

176 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi there,

I damaged my company car whilst on a business trip, accidentally put in wrong petrol.

Company is forcing me pay the cost of repair, says its not covered by insurance.

Any recourse since I was on company business?

Cheers

Posted

I did this once with my private car and the insurance didn't cover it then, either. :ph34r:

Posted

''I did this once with my private car and the insurance didn't cover it then, either''

This case is clear to me, however, I was on a company business trip at the time. Is it normal for the company to pass the costs onto the employee?

All the best,

Posted

you put the wrong fuel in.. that is not an accident end of the matter...the same as if you forget to fill the oil or water and the engine blows.

Posted

Is it normal for the company to pass the costs onto the employee?

Yes, since you acted "grob fahrlässig" (= committed an act of gross negligence).

Therefore, no insurance will cover it, so that leaves only you to get the money for the repair back from.

Posted

Yes, I put the wrong fuel in....I'm not disputing that I negligently put the wrong fuel in.

What I am asking is, what does a company normally do in Germany in such a case.

Posted

What I am asking is, what does a company normally do in Germany in such a case.

And what everyone is answering is:

THEY PASS THEM ON TO THE NEGLIGENT PARTY.

Anything still not clear to you?

Posted

The situation is the same if you get caught and fined speeding, or are insanely drunk if you have an accident - you have to pay for the consequences of your foolishness. You are responsible for your own actions and no insurance will cover you.

In summary, you can't get insurance cover for stupidity.

Posted

Thanks for the clever responses,

Drunk Driving is a criminal offence, hardly comparable.

I am not asking for insurance to cover. Just what is normally done by German companies in this situation.

Posted

If you work for a larger company there will probably be a company car users handbook which spells out what your obligations/liabilities are. Could be worth checking out. Unfortunately when accidents become too common they usually get excluded from insurance policies.

I remember a while back when a sales guy drove off in a hurry with the fuel nozzle still in the car. Did major damage to car and pump and garage had to close for a while because of fire risk. Funnily enough this one was covered, because although very expensive it doesnt happen too often. Got to be a moral in there somewhere....

Posted

Some of the responses are quite helpful.

Thanks again for taking the time,

Posted

I thought I had read elsewhere on TT that you could work it out of the car's system by clunking along and replacing it with the proper petrol. Too late in this case as the car's been returned and the agencies don't bend for anyone, but is that true?

Posted

A small amount of petrol in a diesel tank is not a problem (e.g. you just realise as you pull the pump trigger and immediately stop).

Diesel in a petrol tank is not problem if you realise and don't start the engine (get it towed from the pump and empty/flush the tank)

If you put a lot of petrol in and/or diesel and run the engine for more than a few minutes then you will likely have expensive problems as it it no longer simply a flush through, but many engine parts, exhaust system, tubes and seals can be irreparably damaged

Posted

It doesn't matter how many more times you ask, the answer is still going to be the same.

In addition to all the clever responses here, a Toytowner advises that it is not automatic that employee pays full amount in such cases. It can be disputed that the event is only 'minor' negligence (not intentional) and that the Employer assumes elements of risk when using an employee to act as their agent.

Cheers,