Christmas tipping

73 posts in this topic

Posted

Who will you be tipping this year, what and how much?

We just moved back here in Sept. Will not be tipping the Hausmeister (pain in the ass) and have never done the Post.

I specifically was going to tip my daughter's kingergrippen teachers. She did not adjust easily (took 8 weeks to get settled) and they really took time with her and was patient with both of us (my German is sehr schlect).

I was thinking a 20 euro gutschein from Karstadt...but I have no idea what is an appropriate amount. Thoughts?

Posted

20 euro sounds good from what I see going around in here...

How do you tip a postman/woman? they never come in a specific time, and we live in a building that has several apartments... am I supposed to wait outside for them to show up or just stick a tip on our mailbox (which anyone can simply grab) or what exactly?

Posted

20 euro sounds good from what I see going around in here...

How do you tip a postman/woman? they never come in a specific time, and we live in a building that has several apartments... am I supposed to wait outside for them to show up or just stick a tip on our mailbox (which anyone can simply grab) or what exactly?

We always tip the postman. He always comes between 11-12. They all pretty much have regular routes, I'm surprised yours doesn't come at a regular time.

Posted

We always tip the postman. He always comes between 11-12. They all pretty much have regular routes, I'm surprised yours doesn't come at a regular time.

Maybe because we live on the Haar/Munich border (outskirts ?) it's not as organized... at times the post comes at around 10:30 ... other days at 2 pm , which shocks me because I thought then their shift would be over...

Posted

The guy who delivers the free newspaper to our house (that we never asked for, and that I transfer straight from the letterbox to the paper bin) turned up on our doorstep at 6:30pm on Saturday, introduced himself and said (as I looked at him bemusedly) that we could give him something if we wanted, although it was entirely voluntary. I was pretty gobsmacked.

Ours should know better than to ask for any tip from me... we happen to live on the first floor , mailboxes are inside the building, so he has to ring our doorbell everytime, we have to get up and go open the door for his majesty to put in the papers that no one really seem to want.

The other day he just decided to ring on all doorbells at once, the entire building kept buzzing the door and door opening , a head popping out, seeing it's him , door closes again, was like a flash mob thing.

Posted

Maybe because we live on the Haar/Munich border (outskirts ?) it's not as organized... at times the post comes at around 10:30 ... other days at 2 pm , which shocks me because I thought then their shift would be over...

Funny, that's where I live as well, in the former American housing area. It comes pretty regularly.

Posted

My janitor gets a bottle of wine, my newspaper delivery lady €20. If I happen to catch the garbage men they get chocolates. I never thought of the mailman, but I see him often enough during the year that he gets a cheery smile and nod as a token of my appreciation.

Posted

Well, I guess I am doing well. My landlord leaves me a gift of homemade goodies every year.

Posted

Is it common in Germany to tip the mailman? I never heard of it, perhaps because it was a state position before. They are not allowed to receive a tip like the garbage men.

I always thought you tip the newspaper delivery man/woman or the person who brings a free paper. They ring at your door, leave a small card with season greetings and you tip them. Well, this is how it works in the Netherlands.

Posted

Never hear of anyone tipping the postie. Unless you have a really great relationship with him - and he always rings twice.

Hausmeister - bottle should be good.

Kindergarten Teachers - pralines or bag of home made Plaetzchen

Don't think you need to go overboard. Would just give people something if I a) like them very much or B) have a good/more personal relationship with them. maybe i'm just cheap

Posted

if our postie could work out the difference between 18 and 16 I would tip the bugger

Posted

Our postie, and they have a pool of them who deliver to us gets a large box of Mon Cheri. At the depot they pool the tips and share them out. Don't believe in giving alcohol to people in this day and age that you don't know personally. Just imagine you gave a dry or recovering alcoholic a bottle and were that bottle was the cause of a relapse? While I know they could get it from anywhere anyway - it doesn't have to be dangled in front of them.

EDIT: the mon cheri. Too much of it myself. I meant 'Merci'.

Posted

You do know that Mon Cheri contain cherry liqueur, right?

Posted

My bad. Of course I meant Merci! It's Mrs. Poppet who eats Mon Cheri.

EDIT: and yes I do know that marzipan can contain traces of alcohol!

Posted

its interesting to know how it all works as in uk always tip the postman and the binmen and as a teacher - always got tips in a private school, rarely in the state sector, would never occur to me to tip a land lord or janitor. To me it seems quite an American thing to do.

Posted

its interesting to know how it all works as in uk always tip the postman and the binmen ...

really? I don't know my postman or binmen as I'm always at work when they come.

Posted

would never occur to me to tip a land lord or janitor. To me it seems quite an American thing to do.

As an American, I can tell you I've never heard of tipping a landlord in my entire life. Surely they collect enough of your money in rent every month? I've not really heard of tipping janitors, but it is customary to tip your house cleaner/ Putzfrau, if you have one. I tip the gardening help, and I know many people tip the trash collectors, but not just at Xmas. If they are putting out extra trash beyond what's allowed, they attach money to it. :) I've never heard of tipping the mailman... maybe that's why they can tend to "go postal". ;)

We definitely give the teachers Xmas presents here; they generally prefer gift cards [= money].