Need help or recomendations for package shipper

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi,

Sorry for the lame title but Toytown sort of composes it for you with all their rules.

Anyway, I often buy used Volkswagen parts, that were never available in the US, for my hot rod Golf Cabriolet. Some of the parts that I would like to buy are too large for Deutsche Post since their "Bulky Goods" service is not available to the US. Other shippers like FedEx, UPS, DHL etc. are too costly for large low value packages.

I also buy from ebay.uk. I have found a company, Parcel2go http://www.parcel2go.com/?source=aw&referrer=affiliatewindow, who sells shipping services by the above shippers at greatly reduced rates due to their volume discounts. As an example, I had a pair of bumpers sent to me from the UK, using FedEx, for about $225. That same shipment, if I had arranged it through my own FedEx account, would have cost about $750. Unfortunately for me, Parcel2go shipments must begin or end in the UK.

Is anyone aware of a similar service in Germany? If not someone may want to start one as Parcel2go seems quite popular in the UK.

Thank you in advance, George :) :)

Posted

If you don't care how long it takes, you can get it shrink-wrapped and added to a partial container. Goes by boat, though.

Posted

Hey NEED HELP! I am USA citizen that needs help asap with shipping a painting to the USA. I move Dec. 20th back to the US. I finally found a box for it that is 117 X 67 X 14.5 cm, but DHL and other companies here in Stuttgart, Germany will not ship it to the USA due to its dimensions. It is not very heavy. I do not work for the base/army, but is it possible to ship it on the base back to the USA???

Thanks. - Emily

Posted

You should move your question to the U.S. Military forum, I think.

Posted

On the basis of 120x70x15 @ 4Kg, Posttip recommends Midway Express at 480€. There may be a lot of paperwork too, if it's an artwork, and potential costs to import into the USA

Posted

can it come off the stretchers?

Posted

There's no point in eander05 moving her question to the US Military forum as US citizens who are not supported by the DoD cannot use any military base facilities.

I think sprudel is on to the best idea for economic reasons.

I would suggest Emily should take the painting to a professional art shop and ask if they can remove it from the frame and roll and tube it for shipment. If they say it can be done then it should also be possible for the frame to be dismantled and similarly packed. Even after paying the art shop fee I think it likely to be a considerable saving judging by the quote YL6 found.

Emily might also want to try asking TT's professional artist, Derekbeggs, for his advice as I'm sure he has plenty of experience of shipping artwork.

Click on his username and then on the 'Send me a message' button, or use the e-mail address on his profile.

2B

Posted

tell your airline it's a bicycle and pay the $70 fee?