Winter Clothes in Frankfurt

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi,

we are shifting to Frankfurt in December from India and are confused about appropriate winter wear/ suitable winter wear for that.What type of clothes (especially winter ones) should we get with us??IS it advisable to buy once we land there or should we carry it from here itself???If from Frankfurt..Please advise some good and reasonable options for same.

We are coming from 25-30 degrees Celsius to Frankfurt,what do you suggest for Winter stuffs and all???

Hoping a nice support and advise.

Thanks

Pal

Posted

Have a read through this thread. Although Tanya is coming to Stuttgart rather than Frankfurt, from India... your situation and questions are same same.

All the best as you prepare for your move!

Posted

Hi,

The climate in frankfurt would be very cold in december, around 0 and below. And i suggest you purchase winter wear after you land here in frankfurt. The winter wear available in India would not work here. But do carry some warm clothes with you. Especially hand gloves and cap. Rest you can get from here.

Regards,

Mohammad

Posted

Can anyone recommend both an "affordable" winter coat shop and winter boots store in Frankfurt/Main? TMI maybe..but I am a tall woman with long thin feet (size 43 Euro!), and I will be working in Russia soon. As an American from the deep South, I am totally unprepared clothes-wise. Any tips about shopping for winter clothes in Frankfurt would be appreciated. Also, if you could mention specific boot brands, that would be super. I will visiting Frankfurt from Rodgau/Hessen next Monday January 14, 2013. Appreciate your help! Happy New Year, everyone. Vielen Dank! Tschüß, Annie

Posted

AnnieL, I was just in Frankfurt browsing today. A few things that might be helpful to you. At Gortz shoe store (two locations in the pedestrian shopping area) you can buy shoe inserts that keep your feet warmer. I put them in my regular boots when I don't want to wear clunky winter boots.

At Espirit right now they have a lot of long-sleeve "thermal" type layer shirts on sale for 10 euro. They come in different colors. I often stuff one in my bag and if I get cold I put it on over my shirt. It's lighter than a sweater but adds warmth. If worn under a t-shirt you can extend your summery clothes year-round. They also have longer than average sleeves and length, so since you said you're tall that might be good for you.

I would also check at the Sports Arena for sales on Under Armour brand or similar "winter jogging" layering gear. Their under-shirts and leggings are thin but good for added warmth under regular clothes.

Sorel is one brand that makes good quality and stylish winter boots. Not cheap but maybe the above-mentioned Gortz has some on sale. Don't cheap out on your boots. Do they have good non-slip soles? Is the fur going to get dirty and dingy really quickly?

Peek and Clopenburg has a big variety of winter coats. I'm sure they also have special offers going on this time of year.

Good luck with your shopping!

Posted

I have been really happy with the winter coats at C&A. They are affordable and they have a huge variety. So if you want hoods or fake fur collars or ankle length, they have them .

Lots of stuff on sale right now too, from sweaters to turtle neck t-shirts.

Haven't had a lot of luck with reasonably priced long-underwear, so got some silk Cuddle Duds in the US this year that work so much better than anything else I have purchased. Most of the long-johns here are pricey.

Posted

Thanks so much for the extremely helpful info, Moondancer and My_next_girl! You have saved me time and money, I'm sure. Next Monday when I'm in Frankfurt, I'll definitely visit the shops you suggested. All the best for 2013. Cheers, Annie L.

Posted

Also check Karstadt and Galeria Kaufhof (both also on the Zeil - both have fairly large women's clothing sections, and both should have things on sale now.

Posted

I appreciate the info, the.frollein. Thanks. Now the search begins too for women's boots larger than 42. (sigh..)

Posted

There's a shoe shop that caters for small and large sizes, it's off Zeil, on Fahrgasse 111: Schuh Sauer. I can recommend Timberland boots, those with a treaded sole (Profilsohle) and thick leather.

Posted

RainyDays, this is JUST what I was trying to find out. Thanks so much!. Am hoping Schuh Sauer has boots for females in 43. I went all over Rodgau and Offenbach yesterday, only to find even the big shoe warehouses carry on up to 42 for women. Am excited to hear about Schuh Sauer. Take care and have a good weekend. Ciao, Ann

Posted

Oops.. I meant "the big shoe warehouses carry ONLY up to 42.."