Embarrassing things your parents do or did

127 posts in this topic

Posted

Oh gosh, I hope my daughter never gets to see this thread. Her mother was/is a wee bit of an embarrassment.

But I will tell a story about my mother that embarrassed my sister. Any Irish peer reading this may remember the times ..

All over the news (in the early 70s) we were being warned that everything was running out ... One of the many items listed was toilet paper. So my mother went up to our local grocery store and asked them to keep the tissue paper that oranges were wrapped in ..

She then proceeded to cut them up into (smaller) squares, thread them and then hang them up in the loo. My sister had a pal staying over one night and she begged my mum to buy proper toilet paper.

I think mum didn't (I cannot remember the incident but my sister tells it with such pain which is why I think her request fell on deaf ears)

Posted

My dad just blames the dog...or when they were on a ghost tour, the ghosts.

Posted

Embarassed or Proud, I dunno... But my dad can walk 9 steps whilst letting one rip... :unsure:

Posted

Another story involves my sister, too. The embarrassment did not happen but could very well have.

My sister had invited some friends for dinner and the discussion of mothers came up. One pal said to my sister: If you think your mother was bad wait till I tell you about my mother:

I come home one afternoon and I see some weird stuff around the roses. So, I asked my mother what she had done and my mother told me:

"I had read in some magazine that hair was very good fertilizer for roses so I went up to the bathroom and cleaned all the hairbrushes and put the loot around the bushes"

My sister listening to this turned around and said, dry as you please:

"The difference between your mother and my mother is:

Had my mother read such wisdom she would have gone to the local hairdresser and asked if she could sweep the floor and take the rubbish home with her"

This was met with gales of laughter .. It described my mother to a tee.

Posted

INsisted on kissing me when nt hey dropped me oof at school. I miss them now nbut at the time...

woof.

Posted

Far too many things to count and far too embarrassing to admit here.

oh, don't be shy. :D

i didn't even mention the fact my Mom used Comet as toothpaste. :ph34r:

Posted

Baddoggie: I WISH my parents would have kissed me good bye when dropping me off at school... :-) but I was walking to school alone every day. Perhaps not the first week but ever since

Posted

Along the same lines, at my much-older sister's wedding, my Dad walked up to his ex-wife of 28 years and introduced himself. seriously.

At least he wasn't "dustin'"...

Maybe he wanted to start over again ;)

Posted

Far too many things to count and far too embarrassing to admit here.

Ditto.

My mother likes to make outlandish statements such as:

"Oh I am really curious if the Japanese and Chinese people have restricted eyesight cause you know their

eyes are slanted."

or

"I can't believe your cousin married a Ching-Chang-Chong (a Chinese girl), I mean he is a really handsome guy."

:rolleyes:

Posted

My father virtually shouts into the phone when calling Germany. He seems to believe that speaking louder is neccessary when covering larger distances by phone.

My dad does the same.

Posted

Been thinking...I can only come up with embarrassing things I have done :blink: and i am so not telling :P

Posted

I could come up with a whole list of how I embarrass my children - but that's the whole point, it's about embarrassing them and not me so I ain't saying anything.

Posted

I could come up with a whole list of how I embarrass my children - but that's the whole point, it's about embarrassing them and not me so I ain't saying anything.

please do tell...would love to hear from a self-aware parental embarrass-er. ;)

Posted

I come home one afternoon and I see some weird stuff around the roses. So, I asked my mother what she had done and my mother told me:

"I had read in some magazine that hair was very good fertilizer for roses so I went up to the bathroom and cleaned all the hairbrushes and put the loot around the bushes"

A google search on growing roses hair did give some website that suggests hair as manure :huh:

http://www.make-stuf...ning/roses.html

Prepare the Soil: If your soil is good enough to grow grass, shrubs and fs, it will probably grow roses. But you may want to add organic matter such as peat moss, compost, or decomposed manure. (Try this: Save old hair from your hair brushes and combs. Spread a handful of old hair in the bottom of the hole, then cover with organic material.)

But this clearly says plant it in the soil not on ROSES!!! ;)

Posted

My mum: spitting on a hanky and wiping my face.

My Dad: singing Tony Bennett songs into a hairbrush in front of me and my friends when he was a bit sloshed.

My sisters: washing my hair with fairy liquid 'cos its just the same stuff really'. I had really squeaky hair when I was 5.