English-speaking ophthalmologist in Munich

56 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi, anyone have a recommendation for an English speaking ophthalmologist? I found some on the consulate pages but they don't seem to be conveniently located. Thank you!

Posted

I would also be interested in this seeing as I failed my eye test for the German Driver's License and must now go to a doctor and get a certificate stating that my prescription is the best it can be for me.

I have heard there is an English speaking Optometrist in the bottom right side of the Rathaus, but for me an Opthamologist would be much better.

Posted

you can go to a regular optician for an eye exam. you don't need to go to an eye doctor.

i always go to fielmann. there are always young people working there so i'm sure they can speak english.

Posted

This much I know is true...

The optomitrist places will accept German Insurance for new lenses or replacement lenses made to fit your existing glasses. Does not cover frames, fixing broken frames, contact lenses or colored contact lenses since all that is considered 'cosmetic' or 'vain' in comparison to an actual need. (or so it was explained to me) Frames vary in price so much that it is the only way some of these stores make their money. B) (he said, noting all the Armani frames for sale on Shellingstr.)

I am not much more help since I go in the summer to the states and get my fill of contacts and opthamologist visits.

Good luck Lisa E

Posted

Hi

what is covered depends on your insurance. Gesetzliche health insurance is now spectacle lenses only but some opticians offer free frames still, you need to shop around.

I got my lovely Burberry frames in Fielmann where I also had my last eye check.

I don't know a nice Augenarzt in Munich but I know a lot of bad ones!

The Bavarian Doctor's Guild (BAYERISCHEN LANDESÄRZTEKAMMER - site in German only) can help to find a doctor near you who accepts all insurances, it can't tell you if they are nice or not though but is a handy place to start.

Katrina

Posted

Does anyone know the procedure for getting your eyes checked? I've looked for an eye doctor on both the US embassy's and the UK embassy's lists. I first made an apointment with an opthalmologist from the US list and then realized that there's actually a difference between an opthalmologist and an optometrist. The UK list only shows "eye doctors." Is there a difference here between an opthalmologist and an optomotrist and an eye doctor? If so, does anyone know a good English-speaking optometrist?

Thanks!

-ipj

Posted

I need to replace my contact lense supply, and I've been told numerous times that I can just go to a glasses store. The problem is I have astigmatism in both my eyes, and I was wondering if they do a comprehensive enough exam in a glasses store to compensate for my ocular deficiencies... Or, is it better to go to an optomitrist?

Posted

I had my eyes measured for contact lenses at a regular chain "Optik" store (which I went into because I was looking for an eye doctor in the same square and couldn't find the building.) You don't have to go to an eye doctor just for a prescription, they said, only if you have an infection or disease. I think it was a Schoenweitz or something, probably misspelled. The exam was free.

Anyway, they took the measurements and gave me a sample of some two-week wear lenses to try out. Then I went back a few days later and bought a couple of boxes of the lenses, which I thought were a little expensive.

Now I buy my lenses online at www.mdw.de. They are quite a lot cheaper and very speedy. Unlike in the US, you do not have to send in a prescription to get the contacts; the prescription information you need is on the last box you bought.

Posted

Is there a difference here between an opthalmologist and an optomotrist and an eye doctor?
Yes. No. Go to the eye doctor at least once. That's where you receive prescriptions for glasses, and they will also check a lot of other stuff.

If so, does anyone know a good English-speaking optometrist?

Sorry, I only know average ones. Which actually should be good enough for you considering you refuse to voluntarily make an appointment with an ophtalmologist. I mean if I had any reason to worry I'd insist on seeing an expert, not some 25 year old Fielmann employee of the month to check my eyes.

Posted

If your eyes are bothering you (burning, itching, etc.), go to an Augenarzt. Not sure if mine (Dr. Süß) speaks Englisch, but he was pretty good even though his equipment seemed a bit old fashioned. I haven't gone back to him for over 3 years though.

Otherwise try Schwabrillion in Teng Strasse (near Twisted Bavarian, actually). Johnny speaks great English and made my sons glasses in two days (third set in 2 years), Fielmann took about 6 weeks. I get my contact lenses from him as well and have never had a problem (even though I take horrible care of them) - he would be the first to send you to a proper eye doctor if there was something wrong with your eyes though.

Posted

Highly recommended:

Optik am Gasteig

Rosenheimerstr. 8

Tel 089/481386

(about halfway between Rosenheimer Platz and Isartor S-Bahns, across the street from the Muellerisches Volksbad)

I just got new lenses for my old glasses frames and a new prescription for contacts and glasses there today. He also adjusted the fit on my Ray-Bans for free (I did buy them there, but from the old owner.)

The optician, Michael Bernett, is very friendly and speaks great English.

Posted

So, after years of living in Ireland, and never needing prescription sunglasses, I come to Munich and discover how useful they are. Unfortunately, I still don't have a pair, so I need some advice.

I have, apparently, rather weird eyes (half blind in one, pretty good vision in the other, bizarre stuff with prisms, etc etc), but I don't need an eye-doctor, just an optician who can trust the magic machine that reads my script by shining lights through my current glasses :)

Also, since I'm a lowly student, I'd like somewhere cheap - and don't expect Gucci frames or any of that.

Suggestions?

Posted

Do you know any english-speaking Ophthalmologist in Munich?

This is important, and would appreciate some pointers.

R

Topics merged by admin

Posted

Optik optimal.

www.optik-optimal.de

Peter Strumpf is the chap to talk to.

They are out of the city in Heimstetten, but the Bus from the S-bahn stops outside his shop!

G

Posted

I saw an opthalmologist in Munich who I thought was really good. He's German but also studied at UCSF and Johns Hopkins some, so his English is really good. I think his name is Dr. Gilbert. He's listed on the US Embassy's list of English-speaking doctors.

Posted

I'd like your help. We have just moved to Munich.

I managed to find a great peditrican for my daughter. But me and my husband haven't found anybody yet. We will soon be living in Obermenzing...And the closer the better...

I am also looking for a eyedoctor! ( soory, don't no the right name for it...)

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

aktur87

Posted

Previous optician links. So use the search feature on top right for more questions more than likely it has already been posted somewhere here on TT. Oh welcome to germany. Oh yeah this thread will be probably be merged so hope you see it soon. No pun intended.

Posted

Any new recommendations for a good ophthalmologist in Munich? It doesn't have to be an English speaking one. I tried getting an appointment with Showem's recommendation (Dr Kaup), but was told that he doesn't make appointments and that one just has to wait. I unfortunately do not have the time and Dr Kaup is only open until 6pm. I can only go after that as I am working. Thanks and cheers.