Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Puzzled by T-Online DSL service

53 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi everyone,

I've moved to Germany recently, and of course, one of the first things that I wanted settled was an internet connection. I applied for T-Online DSL 16000, or whatever it's called. I filled in an online form, had couple of calls from Telekom, and finally the technician was here this morning.

I was at work and my girlfriend was the one who was at home when he came. Unfortunately, none of us speaks German yet, therefore communication with Telekom was a bit complicated, especially with the technician who wasn's speaking any English at all.

Anyway, the guy came, did something with phone plug, inserted some piece of plastic into one of the sockets, and told my gf that she could unplug it and plug in the modem after an hour and that it should work.

I decided not to get a modem over Telekom, but went on and bought one myself over Amazon. It's a 'proper' ADSL2+ Annex B modem / wlan router. I am a programmer, so I know a thing or two about computers, and I checked the standards, protocols, etc, before ordering.

Right now I am quite puzzled and this is why:

1. I have no idea what is this plastic thingie that was pugged in. Looks like some dummy plug, but I don't understand why would the tech guy put it there.

2. The guy didn't leave an adsl splitter - is it embedded in the phone plug, or am I supposed to buy it myself?

3. My gf signed some things, but never got the copies of these things that she signed. (wtf?!)

4. As a matter of fact - the guy left NOTHING but the plastic thing plugged in my phone plug. That means that I have no parameters for setting up the modem. That also means that I have no clue what is my phone number, since there was no number connected to the line in the apartment.

I already spoke few times with the people from their call center before today, and I know that most of them don't speak English. I tried to find some info on the website, but it wasn't fruitful either.

Has anyone of you already been through the process - what am I supposed to do, how to proceed...?

Help would be most welcome. Thank you!

Posted

I think you may want to go into the nearest Telekom shop and explain your situation and get someone else out to help you. You paid for that service call and when he left you should have been connected.

I have T-online and when the technician left my internet was completely connected to my wireless LAN.

Posted

@fraufruit I have searched the forum before asking a question, and found no answer. There is also search-before-posting-new-topic feature that works quite well, too. But thanks, anyway. ;) Really - you are by no mean obliged to answer any of the questions posted here, if you don't feel like it. But I would appreciate if you spared me the witty comments, too.

@LavenderRain Think I'll do that, thanks.

Posted

There are two connections: one for connecting the splitter to the telephone line (black, attached to the wall) and other to connect the splitter to your modem / router (white). If you already have internet access (as seems to be), please connect a LAN cable from your router / modem to your computer, open your Internet Explorer and type http://192.168.2.1. This will open the menu to make the configuration. The password must be in the paper given by the technician. I assume you have the manual of the modem / router (I have a Speedport W504V also from Telekom) so you can peruse there for further settings.

Posted

We got Telekom DSL earlier this year.

Our splitter came in the post, not from the technician. It looks something like this.

Telekom also sent two separate letters containing information that lets you log into their online customer service centre and the numbers you use to configure the modem.

So everything we needed came through the post.

There were no instructions on setting up a non-telekom modem but the information is available (in German) on the www.

This is what we did:

In the letter with "Zugangsdaten" there are four numbers:

Anschlusskennung - call those digits "A"

T-Onlinenummer or Zugangsnummer- call those digits "T"

Mitbenuzernummer - call those digits "M"

Personlisches Kennwort

The log in is a combination of the A, T and M digits: AAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTMMMM@t-online.de

The final number in the Zugangsdaten letter, the "Personlisches Kennwort" is the DSL login password. Don't confuse that with the password for the customer service centre in the other letter.

The other settings we use are:

PPoE

Multiplexing Method: LLC Based

VPI 1

VCI 32

Posted

Posmatrach,

What gives you the confidence that a modem not provided by Telekom will actually work on their network? Standards are all very well, but they are also voluntary.

I used to work in the standardization game for DSLs of all varieties (ITU-T, ANSI, ETSI, DSL Forum ...).

Posted

Here are the basic English instructions. They are very old and a bit faded:

Tonline.jpg

Posted

... You paid for that service call and when he left you should have been connected ...

Only if the OP signed up for the full service including installing the hardware and setting up the router. I chose to do that myself, for example. As PeterN said, the hardware and instructions should have been delivered beforehand, leaving the engineer to do only whatever was necessary in the Telekom cabinets on the day and to make sure DSL was actually being delivered at the outlet in the apartment.

Posted

Telekom always confirm your services in writing, normally a few days after you apply for the service. The first confirmation confirms your phone number and the services included, a second one will confirm your phone book entry (or that you have elected to stay out of the phone book) and a third (from their sister company T-Online) your internet access details as described by PeterN.

You will also be given (for free) a DSL splitter. If a technician was sent to install the line he would normally bring this with him, otherwise you'll be sent it in the mail. If you don't have one then your nearest T-Punkt (Telekom store) will normally give you one if you show them your contract confirmation.

You will need to program a compatible modem/router according to PeterNs instructions, although most bought in Germany will allow you to select "T-Online" as a provider and guide you through their setup. Speedport modems bought from or supplied by Telekom can auto-configure themselves once connected correctly. Beware of setting a non-Telekom modem/router to an English UI as that can sometimes change the standard DSL parameters so they no longer match the German system.

Posted

Hi everyone,

First I'd like to thank you all for your help and support.

After several visits to T-Punkt and several calls to the customer center I finally got the letter with my access data yesterday, and my splitter from T-Punkt. I have connected the modem/router and it turned out that, from the point of dsl connection itself - it is compatible. The ADSL light is on and status is ok.

Also there was a quick set up option offered in the, and T-Online as one of the providers.

I entered all my data, but internet connection can not be established. I tried adding a # between T-Online Nummer and Mitbenutzer-Nummer, although my T-Online Nummer is 12 digit, but that didn't help either.

All the other settings I set up the way PeterN described. I tried playing with other settings, but the result was same. In the router logs I saw an error "Incorrect domain", o something like this.

I do not get an IP address from the provider, and DNS IP address field is also empty. I could not find an option of entering that one manually, though.

After loosing around 4 hours last night, without any results, I ran out of ideas. So - ideas anyone? :)

The router is TP-Link TD-W8961NB.

Greetz!

Edit:

I would like to avoid returning this modem, and getting the one from Telekom, because

a) It would mean additional time without an internet connection

B) Would cost more

c) I don't think the problem is compatibility of the router, since the ADSL connection is working ok, the problem seems to be DSL log in.

Of course, if it turns out that the modem itself is incompatible, I have no other options. In that case I would prefer getting just a basic modem and using this TP-Link for routing, WLAN etc. So, if you know a model of a basic modem that works 100% with T-Online, I would gladly accept an advice.

Posted

A few thoughts - forgive me if you've already tried these.

Thinking about the "Incorrect domain" error. Check that the login includes the sequence of numbers followed by @t-online.de

In the English language user guide downloadable here there's a "Maintenance" chapter containing a "Diagnostic" section. You might get a better understanding of the problem by running the diagnostic tests.

Try setting it up manually rather than with the quick set-up. Go through the manual and check every setting.

After 4 hours of troubleshooting we all lose concentration and make errors. Re-check some of the things you tweaked last night.

No product works 100% - they can all fail.

Posted

@PeterN

Yes, I have added @t-online.de part. Checked and double checked that one. All the tweaks I did were done manually. I also ran some diagnostics last night and it fails at this one:

Testing ATM OAM segment ping. But that doesn't tell me too much, because I don't know what it means.

Could you, please, make a screenshot of the detailed settings of your modem so I could compare? Ofc, leave out your access numbers etc.

Is your T-Online Nummer 12 digits long? Do you have # sign in login number sequence? I am not sure what is the catch with it... Modem adds it automatically when ran through auto set-up, but I've read somewhere I don't need it the up mentioned number is in 12-digit format.

Thanks again.

Greetz!

Posted

I took screenshots of my modem/router settings but reducing them to a size I can post on TT made the fine text unreadable.

Here's exactly what I have set up...

Netgear Router manager

Wireless ADSL2+ Modem router model DG834GB

Basic Settings

Does Your Internet Connection Require A Login? Yes, No -- Yes is selected

Encapsulation -- Drop down menu with "PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet)" selected

Login -- Text box containing my version of AAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTMMMM@t-online.de

Password -- Text box containing my T-online kennwort

Service Name (IF Required) -- Text box left blank

Idle timeout (In Minutes) -- I have this set to 0 so the modem/router reconnects immediately if disconnected from DSL

Internet IP Address

Get Dynamically from ISP -- Selected

Use Static IP address -- Not selected

Domain Name Server (DNS) Address

Get Automatically from ISP -- Selected

Use These DNS Servers -- Not selected

NAT(Network Address Translation)

Enable --- Selected

Disable -- Not selected

Disable firewall -- Not selected

End of page

ADSL Settings

Multiplexing Method - Drop down menu with "LLC-Based" selected

VPI - Text box with the number 1

VCI - Text box with the number 32

DSL Mode - Drop down menu with "Auto(Multimode)" selected

End of page

Clearly there are other pages for other features unconnected with DSL.

I have used a Vodafone EasyBox 803 modem/router with T-online using the same settings.

My T-online number is 12 digits long and I have no # character. I typed that code in myself so nothing appeared automatically.

AFAIK Telekom previously used a different format for TTT.... The # was necessary then but isn't now they use a 12 digit TTT...

Posted

@PeterN Hey, thanks - this was really helpful. The only problem is that my settings are pretty much identical, but the connection can not be established. Bummer. I have no idea where to look further.

@SpiderPig Thanks for pointing it out. I checked and it is set to 32 in case of my router, which seems to be correct.

Posted

Be aware that if you (or rather your router) made 3 attempts to login using the correct username but other details (e.g. password) were incorrect then your account is blocked for 24 hours for security reasons

Posted

Hi everyone,

My line is still dead. Here's a piece of logs from the router, maybe some of you could decipher it...

12/12/2011 22:20:20> netMakeChannDial: err=-3000 rn_p=804e8480

12/12/2011 22:20:26> Last errorlog repeat 7 Times

12/12/2011 22:20:26> netMakeChannDial: err=-3000 rn_p=804e8480

12/12/2011 22:20:38> Last errorlog repeat 10 Times

12/12/2011 22:20:38> Call Failed

12/12/2011 22:20:38> mpoaChannDown: ch<0> null iface

12/12/2011 22:20:39> netMakeChannDial: err=-3001 rn_p=804e8480

12/12/2011 22:20:41> netMakeChannDial: err=-3000 rn_p=804e8480

12/12/2011 22:21:10> Last errorlog repeat 9 Times

12/12/2011 22:21:10> Call Failed

12/12/2011 22:21:17> Call Failed

12/12/2011 22:21:17> mpoaChannDown: ch<0> null iface

12/12/2011 22:21:18> netMakeChannDial: err=-3001 rn_p=804e8480

12/12/2011 22:21:21> netMakeChannDial: err=-3000 rn_p=804e8480

12/12/2011 22:21:22> netMakeChannDial: err=-3000 rn_p=804e8480

Greetz!

Posted

All,

I've been in Germany for 4 weeks now, and ordered deutsche telecom DSL Internet on the 8th Jan.

I had 4 appointments now and 3 engineers at my flat, but I'm still not connected.

Can anyone here confirm the below:

- does a netgear n150 adsl 2+ modem router function on a t-online DSL line? I bought this in media markt in hamburg last week.

- from the fritz wall plug's F connection, do I, or do I not need an ADSL filter?

-- I bought a HAMA DSL splitter from MM

-- 2 t-home engineer said I do not need a splitter

-- I have tried it with and without but my modem can't sense any connection

-- I am aware of the AAA...TTT...M...@ etc for login / password combo.

- there are 4 cables in a fritz box, does any one know which 1 pair of cables I need to hook up to my modem, provided it is ok to use the above mentioned modem/router and I do not need a splitter.

Any advice from anyone please!? I am getting really desperate.

Many thanks