Kindergeld - Child allowance

77 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello everyone :)

I have a question about kindergeld and hope that someone can help. I'm moving and start working in Germany next January. I am married and have a daughter (18 months old). Wife and daughter will stay in my home country and so won´t be living in germany. Will i have the right to kindergelt in these conditions? Is it a fixed value or calculated depending on income?

Thanks to all for your help!

Posted

as far as i know they need to be in country.

i think its only for germans.

Posted

Theoretically you have the right since you are from an EU country but your kids are supposed to be living in Germany.

Posted

Child must be living in Germany (according to the person we spoke to) and its a fixed amount.

Posted

If the OP has a high income (above 60,000€) he would benefit more from a special tax break called Kinderfreibetrag: http://www.toytowngermany.com/lofi/index.php/t45336.html

True, but you should still apply for Kindergeld then get the balance of what is owed when you submit your tax return.

Posted

They definitely need to be registered with you at the people's registry here in Germany, proof of Anmeldung is requested. Also, once a child enters the child allowance system in Germany, the social services make sure he/she are regularly attending the "Untersuchung"s (check ups) that are automatically scheduled according to the child's date of birth. For every check up the pediatrician sends a report to the social services. So, the child needs to be in Germany and be in the system.

Posted

I second PandaMunich on this! My daughter is a Spanish national through my ex-Spanish wife and lives in Spain. I filled in these forms many moons ago and would have got Kindergeld ( but my ex-wife couldn´t get her act together with the authorities in Spain ). I still have a Kinderfreibetrag for her here in Germany in my tax statement until she finishes her studies.

Posted

Hi,

I'm not sure I fully understood some of the responses I have read in this forum about eligibility for Kindergeld so I'm hoping someone can clarify this for me. I have been in Germany for several years and wasn't sure whether I would stay here or not, so I claimed Child Allowance in the UK instead of in Germany. I am now staying here for longer so I cancelled my UK payments and have started to receive Kindergeld instead.

So, my question is whether I am entitled to claim for the difference between the UK child allowance and the Kindergeld for the time I was earning and paying taxes in Germany prior to swapping from UK Child Allowance to Kindergeld?

Regards

Paul

Posted

The answer to that is most definitely no! As you've stated, you were claiming Child allowance in the UK and now you are claiming the German allowance (which is higher). I'm afraid there's no chance of claiming the difference-the law doesn't allow it. You can claim German Child allowance retrospectively although I don't know what the time limit is ie: 2 years late, 4 years late etc etc

Posted

So, my question is whether I am entitled to claim for the difference between the UK child allowance and the Kindergeld for the time I was earning and paying taxes in Germany prior to swapping from UK Child Allowance to Kindergeld?

Regards

Paul

You have GOT to be kidding. Seriously? I'm speechless....

Posted

They definitely need to be registered with you at the people's registry here in Germany, proof of Anmeldung is requested. Also, once a child enters the child allowance system in Germany, the social services make sure he/she are regularly attending the "Untersuchung"s (check ups) that are automatically scheduled according to the child's date of birth. For every check up the pediatrician sends a report to the social services. So, the child needs to be in Germany and be in the system.

I don't know where you got that info from Margo but it is completely untrue and therefore utterly misleading.

Parents can claim Kindergeld as soon as the child is born .... obvioulsy the child has to exist and YES you have to prove that but Social Services are not informed and there are no reports from Paedeotricians or doctors. That is left entirely down to the parents to organise (other than the Cervical Cancer vacine for girls which is generated by the regional authorities)

Posted

You have GOT to be kidding. Seriously? I'm speechless....

Why? It was a simple question. If I went back to England where I didn't contribute any of my salary to Germany I guess they'd ask for it back if I kept claiming it... so why not allow me the full benefit when I am ;-)

Anyway, thanks for the response @bhh, I did think this would be the case but I have seen so much incredible generosity here in Germany I thought I'd ask..! Probably it was the backdating of a claim not made anywhere where an entitlement exists that I misread.

Posted

(other than the Cervical Cancer vacine for girls which is generated by the regional authorities)

(Voluntary) vaccinations at schools etc are organized by regional authorities and may typically include Rubella, Diphteria, IPV, Tetanus, Mumps, Measles, sometimes Hep B and depending on area (in South Germany) FSME. HPV vaccination is typically not organized through schools or official authorities (unlike Austria).

Posted

You were allowed to claim the difference, I do not know if you still can get it though.

Posted

Hello,

i have a friend who had also married to a German with a son.they had completed the registry although she is in Ghana preparing to resite in Germany.does their son has the right as a German citizen?since she has temporary separated from her husband because the mother-law insist she denounce my church to join hers?she refused because she is a strong christian while the mother-in-law is a catholic from a a priest who had separated himself from the real catholic church to open his.she needs help and advise

Posted

How long does it usually take before you receive your kindergeld? I am a Danish citizen married to an American with 3 children. I know I am entitled to kindergeld but have yet to receive any eventhough I applied 6 months ago. Since I am an EU citizen and not a native German I understand that the application is handled a little differently but I do not even know if they are working on the application. Can it help for me to call the Familienkasse? Have not received any reply at all.

Posted

I think it can take quite a while in some areas but do give them a call just to make sure they're still processing your application.

Posted

i have a friend who had also married to a German with a son.they had completed the registry although she is in Ghana preparing to resite in Germany. does their son has the right as a German citizen?

No, Kindergeld is not paid because a child has German nationality. It is paid because the parent lives in Germany and normally pays taxes here.

Kindergeld is only paid if the

• child's parent lives in Germany, and
  • the child lives in Germany or in an European Union country, plus some other countries, but Ghana is not among them. Please read Kindergeld - Child allowance again to understand this properly.

Posted

Could someone please help me with the documents i'll need for Kindergeld application? I know that i have to fill the form and send it by email. I will also have to send a copy of the child birth certificate. I read somewhere that i will also need to send a copy of the Anmeldebestätigung, but i don't know what that is. I am a UE citizen as my spouse which works in my home country. How long does it usually take to be processed?

Thanks a lot!

Posted

i will also need to send a copy of the Anmeldebestätigung, but i don't know what that is.

Your registration of domicile.

Posted

Ok, documents for kindergeld sent by post. Now, just one question:

I've been working in germany since 1st February but only now was possible to get everything done and send the documents to this date: 20.03

Will Kindergeld be paid having as reference the date i started working or the date they receive the documentes?

Can anyone help? Thanks!

Posted

Once your Kindergeld application is approved, they will pay it retroactively to the day you moved here.

Posted

My daughter lives half the year in Germany and the other half with her father in Seattle but, because she is attending school in the US and not living here full time, I am not entitled to kindergeld for her. You can still get a tax break though as far as I know...my accountant usually sorts that out.