Moving to Paderborn

24 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi,I am interviewing for a job in Paderborn and am wondering how life is there? I am a 42 year old single guy from Ireland and although I speak German I am concerned that I might find it difficult to fit in socially and make new friends. Are there many other expats there? How difficult / easy is it to mix with the local population? What kind of social activity goes on at weekends?

thanks

Posted

I lived there for a bit and fxxxing hated it.

Very provincial, very conservative, very skeptical of English speakers due to all the squatties there pissing the place up..

There are Irish pubs there, and decent people to meet. But god I hated that city...

Posted

Very provincial, very conservative,

thanks for your reply but does that really make it different from most other German towns?

Posted

provincial + conservative = not easy for outsiders to mix with the local population

A few quotes from another thread

Paderborn has a well deserved reputation to be one of Germany's most boring cities.

It has a reputation for being one of the "blackest" (black = catholic + conservative) cities in Germany.

I say so. The HQ from my company are located there and I have to go sometimes and seriously it is a dead city. Try to get something to eat after 10pm that is not a Kebab, any place to drink a beer? Of course it is always possible to find a place, but you need a car and then you can't get pissed.

The most excited thing that can happen to you is to be picked at the Hauptbahnhof by the crazy 75 y/o widow lady taxi driver who can't see shit and drives always at 100 km/h. But probably she is already dead.

P.S., Carnival time can be the exception but because all those boring Paderboners do not have anything to do during the whole year, all of them go out at the same time and then it is impossible to get in any of the 3 discos.

Posted

provincial + conservative = not easy for outsiders to mix with the local population

That's not good :-( For me, joining a local football team would be essentail. Do you think that Paderborn clubs would not be keen on a new player from Ireland?

Paderborn does seem to have a reputaion as a dead town but sport is much more important to me than nightlife. Not being able to integrate by playing football with a local club is a deal breaker for me.

Posted

I really have no idea.

Maybe send a personal message to this guy - looks like he has lived in Paderborn for a while and seems to enjoy it. GaryInPb

Posted

Having spent the last 27 years in Paderborn, I don't concur with any of the above. Life in Paderborn is not of a casual standard as it is in the UK. The British/Irish are welcomed, the young pissed squaddies are tolerated. There is a huge Brit presence in PB that is not conected to the military. If you want to play footie, then try http://community.fussball.de/de/verein/paderborn-united/21260021.html

Posted

what do you mean by "not of a casual standard". Is that good or bad?

Posted

Hi, been here 22 years and know my way around, I like it, it depends what you are looking for. It does take ages to meet people unless you get some support, there are some very nice expats around. Can put you on to soccer teams if you like. Just drop me a line at gary (at) paderborn.com.

Regards

Gary

Posted

Hello everybody!

I'm resuming this old post, I didn't want to start a new one 'cause the title is perfect: "I'm moving to Paderborn too" :D

I will be there by the end of December, the company (with headquarters in the city - don't want to spam the name, will provide privately if req.) is taking care of the main issues (healt care, housing, and a couple more) but I'm left on my own for everything else which are in fact.. a lot!

I've been there for the Job interview, like 3 days and a half, been to the computer museum (well, I'm doing thousand Kms and I couldn't miss that part!), tryed a couple of pubs (at random), roamed the center (sunday, 12:00, only 3 people on the cathedral platz) and took notes of a couple of Lidls, Nettos but nothing more :(

So, where to start? I'm googling a little, looking with google maps to spot usefull places; at this stage, I'm not looking just for sport activities, pubs, parties and so on, I'd like to focus more on usefull facilities like:

_ I'll need to wash my clothes, any public laundry available?

_ Food: apart from the usual places (Lidl or Netto) any ither chain you would recommend? or single/smaller shops

_ Usefull public parking places?

_ Commercial center? house fixing/improving, workshop tools..

_ Car service, I know there are dozens of them, my question is more on "can anybody recommend a good guy?"

More in general, any good place I shouldn't miss where the guys are helpfull, the recommend things or the way around, bg shop where the price can't be beaten? :)

Thanks!

Posted

Food: Lidl & netto are discounters. Try Rewe, Minipreis and Edeka for a wider selection.

If you are interested in the kind of food British people buy there's a shop called Little Britain at Bielefelder Str.137 33104 Sennelager-Paderborn.

Parking: There's a useful parking parea where Heierswall meets Hatumarstrasse. You can walk into the centre from there.

Stores for house fixing/improving & workshop tools: are spread around Paderborn

Posted

I just found that "Waschesaloon" yelds some intresting results..

Thanks for the names/references, I also found KGAA, ALDI and WARENHAUS around.

Slowly, really-really slowly I'm syncronizing with the place.. gotta catch up with the language quick, otherwise all this stuff is only represented by a random sequence of symbols (aka letters) with no meaning linked to it other than mnemonic pattern recognition - oh my! - you got me, C.S. background ;)

Feel free to add any kind of random information, I'm sure it will came up usefull sooner or later ;)

Tnx!

Posted

Hey AsmallGuy,

just stumbled upon this thread.

By this time you will probably have moved here already, but... If you are still lost feel free to send me a message. I live in PB and might be able to help you out ;)

(On a side note, PB is located in NRW and not Niedersachen)

Posted

Hallo! I mean.. Hello! ;)

Yes, I moved already but still crawling for extra help!

Do you live in PB? My first life-necessity: der abfall, how are city rules? On my (shorth) way to work I was able to identify the blue cover can, plain clean paper, got it.

But then? My apartment is so small.. I've to play tetris each time I want to do something, only one sink in the bathroom, a single room full of boxes (hope, long term relocation), a table, a fridge a bed and.. trash is growing! if I carry another 6 pack of bottles.. the apartment is full, so, I need to get rid of it asap.

As a start I'm collecting paper, plastic-like container and a third bag with all the rest. I'm washing and drying every container (on der Heizkörper along with clothes). I've seen other trashcans, black (near the blue one) and greens (they come in groups of 5: 3 small, 2 bigger).

I'm.. feeling in doubt about opening each of them, looking inside, moving stuff to understand what to put.. and outside there are not indications :(

Until now I'm barely alone, I talk practically no German and the company delayed the promised German lang. course by one month (I was counting on having -that- month to adjust here, look around, search for an apartmnt and so on) but now I'm already at work and my options to set-me-up-here are shrinked by the minutes..

Second necessity: internet connection. I absolutely need it (nope, not for Facebook, not even there), I was thinking at Lidl Mobile, cheap to start (6.95), mobile and can do an easy upgrade to get more bandwidth - somebody confirms, at least by looking at the website? Right now I'm using internet at work, for few minutes and that is.. unsettling :/

We can talk here or via forum messages if it gets OT. Tnx!

Posted

Regarding Waste:

Here is a description of the waste system. There's a downloadable multi-language leaflet with pictures that should help until you can learn some German.

In summary:

Organic and food waste normally goes in the green container. In some places there are green containers marked "Saison-Biotonne" that are only emptied during spring, summer and autumn when garden waste needs to be removed.

Paper & cardboard goes in the blue container.

Thin yellow sacks are available for empty plastic packaging, food tins etc.

Non-recyclable items or things that must be buried go in the grey/black bins.

Many bottles have a deposit (pfand) so you get money back when you return them to the shop where you bought them. For other glass containers there are glass recycling bins located around the town.

Note:

Householders (or the landlord) pay for the bins for their property. People will get annoyed if you put waste in containers outside a house where you don't live.

Some containers are emptied on a 2 week cycle. People in your building will get annoyed if you fill up a container with your waste early in the cycle and they have nowhere to put their waste for the next 2 weeks.

Putting glass in the recycling containers can be noisy and disturbs local residents. The bins may be marked with quiet times when you should not use them.

Regarding being alone...

Don't wait until you can speak German to start making friends...

Your company hires people from other countries. So other people in the company may have been through exactly what you are going through now. They may not be Italian but you probably all speak English at work - so you can communicate. Perhaps they meet occasionally at a bar or restaurant, perhaps some of them live around the corner from you...

There is an Italienisch Deutscher Kulturverein at Ferdinandstraße 6 33102 Paderborn. I don't know it but it should be a club that aims to bring together Italians & Germans. You may be able to meet other Italians in Paderborn and/or Germans who are interested in Italy and speak your language.

Regarding Internet...

Toytown has a long thread and lots of advice on pay as you go internet services.

Posted

As a general thing, I guess that it would be somewhat easier to give advice concerning shopping, food, sports whatever if we know where about in Paderborn you live and if you have a car. I know it's not really a big city, but living in the Riemekeviertel gives you other options than living Auf dem Kaukenberg for example.

Posted

@PeterN Thanks, 100% what I was looking for! Now, I just have to find the yellow bags (do they normally sell them or are they provided by landlord/house owner?); also in the green container, waste is to be put in some container/bags or just thrown inside?.

Notes: good to know.

Friends: absolutely! Launches, small talk, meeting new colleagues or even talking on the stairs with the old lady living on the same floor (who talks english).. I'm trying to bunk as little as I can, it's been less than a week since relocating, I'm taking care of some logistics still.

@Bob: I have a bike and a car, but I also like to walk a lot (and use the car as little as possible). My "area" of operation is around Rathenaustraße, but maybe later I'll move more north towards the woods.

Posted

Now, I just have to find the yellow bags (do they normally sell them or are they provided by landlord/house owner?)

You can get them at the supermarket (REWE, Edeka, Marktkauf etc. - but not discounters like Aldi, Lidl, Norma) for free, ask at the Kasse.

also in the green container, waste is to be put in some container/bags or just thrown inside?.

Some landlords will provide a little brown individual compost bin for their tenants (or I'm sure you can buy them). They look like this:

post-121019-13573046171321.jpg

Personally, I line it with a bit of newspaper, and then chuck the whole thing into the compost bin, or you can buy special biodegradable bags (at the supermarket) that you can also chuck - they look like this, and are labelled Bio-Abfallbeutel or something similar. Or you can just use a plastic bag, which you empty into the compost, and then dispose of the plastic bag into the regular garbage.

Posted

Great answer! strange that I saw 5 green container all together near my flat, but no glass/metal. I'll look inside the smaller ones, maybe the 2 bigger are for the leafs and so on. I've also found tha collection dates on the city website (browsing through the office connection, little time to wander around..).

I'm already using a small plastic container for organic waste, I keep it on the balcony in the cold and I try to put inside dry things, so life isn't growing too much inside :)

Posted

As PeterN said, you need to use the rubbish bins (for paper, bio and Restmüll) for your building, not any random bins somewhere, as your landlord pays for the bins (costs are passed on to you in the Nebenkosten you pay as part of your rent), and so people in other buildings will get rather irritated if you try to use their bins.

Glass containers are at central points around the city, I assume you can find info on that on the site. Metal and plastic goes into the Gelber Sack (yellow bag you get free from the supermarket).

I keep my Biomüll on my balcony as well - in winter it's okay, but in summer it can get a bit smelly, unless you empty very regularly.

Posted

Absolutely, I'm using the bins nearest to my apartment, right next to the door there are the blue and the black; there's a third one, the old lady said it was for paper/food waste but.. it's black! While the truly greens are located further away on the sidewalk near the road, there are 5 of them.

I'll keep you posted (wow, err, I mean..).

Posted

...Now, I just have to find the yellow bags (do they normally sell them or are they provided by landlord/house owner?)...

Here is a link to places where you can get the bags . Sometimes the guys who come to collect the bins have rolls of the sacks with them in their truck - even if they are collecting other coloured bins. I don't think you can get them at the supermarket like the.frollein can in Stuttgart.

Posted

In some cities, you can get the yellow bags at the city hall, or at the library. It varies widely. Of the four cities I've lived in thus far though, it's usually been supermarkets.