Ordering from Amazon with Amazon Prime

84 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi All,

Interested to hear of others experience with Amazon Prime...

I am an Amazon Prime customer...the prime service states... "Kostenloser Premiumversand - Lieferung am nächsten Tag - für Millionen von Artikeln von Amazon.de." When I order a product that is eligible for Prime, the conformation email states a delivery date of the next day....

I never seem to get my deliveries the next day, usually 2 days....to the centre of Berlin. I usually end up calling DHL to see where my package is, as its been sitting for a day in a distribution center in Rudersdorf. They usually tell me the package isnt a guaranteed next day delivery...so despite Amazon's claim for next day delivery it's sent via the standard service. Usual story then when Amazon blame DHL and DHL blame Amazon and they each tell you to call the other!

What are other people's experience of Amazon Prime...does the next day delivery guarantee seem to work for you?

Cheers!

Posted

I did the free month trial in a month where I ordered a load of stuff and it seemed to work just fine to the centre of Munich. When the month was up I didn't renew and got a snotty email from Amazon saying they wouldn't offer me any more freebies if I let it go, but unless you're ordering loads of stuff and you're really impatient the extra cost of Prime isn't really worth it. IMHO.

Posted

We live in a tiny village, basically in the middle of nowhere. I too tested them for one month - it was great loads of stuff the next day - and a laptop in time for Christmas last year. Only reason I didn't subscribe? Don't really need it - almost everything is there within 2 days anyway.

Posted

What HellesAngel said - are you really so desperate that you can't wait for delivery? Things that are shown as 'auf Lager' I often get next day anyway, if I order in the morning and when not then in 2 days.

Posted

I've always viewed Prime as a bit of a rip-off because they seem to be charging for something they do anyway, namely have very fast dispatch times. For example, I recently ordered an item at midday on Saturday and it arrived at 9am on Monday morning; most other companies wouldn't even have looked at the order until Monday lunchtime.

DHL/Deutsche Post in contrast are a law unto themselves.

Posted

Hi All,

Interested to hear of others experience with Amazon Prime...

I am an Amazon Prime customer...the prime service states... "Kostenloser Premiumversand - Lieferung am nächsten Tag - für Millionen von Artikeln von Amazon.de." When I order a product that is eligible for Prime, the conformation email states a delivery date of the next day....

I never seem to get my deliveries the next day, usually 2 days....to the centre of Berlin. I usually end up calling DHL to see where my package is, as its been sitting for a day in a distribution center in Rudersdorf. They usually tell me the package isnt a guaranteed next day delivery...so despite Amazon's claim for next day delivery it's sent via the standard service. Usual story then when Amazon blame DHL and DHL blame Amazon and they each tell you to call the other!

What are other people's experience of Amazon Prime...does the next day delivery guarantee seem to work for you?

Cheers!

Amazon is famous for good customer service... if they state a date where you should receive your item on, and they don't deliver, you get to make a complaint, and they shouldn't blame it on the carrier...

make a fuss and see what happens...

Posted

Is the postage and packing free on most items as well with the standard service or isn't that also one of the advantages of Amazon Prime?

Posted

...a laptop in time for Christmas last year.

Poppet,

Big hint - Looks like it will be on December 25th again this year, so don't be surprised by the sudden appearance and have to do last-minute shopping this time around. :)

Posted

Is the postage and packing free on most items as well with the standard service or isn't that one of the advantages of Amazon Prime?

Free above €20 and free below that limit for many other (not all) items.

Seee here.

Posted

Im one of those desirable people who did the free trial and then didnt bother to cancel. I quite like having prime but Im dont think its worth the extra. The pain isnt enough to make me go through the effort of cencelling yet though ;-)

Posted

I have it and love it, because I have no patience whatsoever plus an awful memory for birthdays and I'm happy to pay for their great service.

If they ever introduced same day delivery, I'd probably take that too. My time is more important to me than the yearly fee.

Posted

As others have said, without Premium, my stuff usually comes in 2 days if the seller is actually Amazon. I thought the Premium was to save on shipping costs.

Posted

My wife has signed us up for Prime. We usually get delivery on the very next day, but this wasn't much different without prime. The main advantage is the free delivery for items below € 20.

Posted

Poppet,Big hint - Looks like it will be on December 25th again this year, so don't be surprised by the sudden appearance and have to do last-minute shopping this time around.

Ha ha, but in fairness to me the Christmas bonus wasn't confirmed (the amount at least) until the 23rd. However having said that when I lived in the UK I once went to Argos on Christmas eve and bought all 14 required presents in less than an hour. That's what I call last minute.

Posted

poppet, I did that once in Selfridges while still pissed from a company Christmas party.

You got off cheaply.

They did the gift wrapping, I wrote the labels. Badly.

Posted

I'm quite happy with Amazon Prime, specially because I don't need to worry about the shipping costs. I also usually receive the products in the next day. There are two things to note, however:

- Free next-day shipping is valid only till 4pm. If you buy it after 4pm, they will dispatch in the next day, so, you get it on the second day.

- If you really want it next day, you can order till 8pm, paying 5,00 EUR per item. They will deliver it during the morning of the next day.

- Not all products are eligible. Specially those that are not shipped by Amazon, but by third-party companies selling their stuff through Amazon. They have this on the top of the page, right below the categories bar: "Hinweis: Artikel von XYZ . DE. Dieser Artikel ist leider nicht mit Amazon Prime bestellbar. (Weitere Informationen.)"

Posted

Yep, I am only ordring products that are fully eligible for Amazon Prime, and then often the morning, well before the 16.00 cutoff time, and I still am waiting for 2 days or more for some deliveries...DHL tell me the parcels are not sent with a special next day service, but standard, which can arrive the next day, but in the case of Berlin rarely does...after all, its only the capital :) DHL also told me that there is a known problem with reading of some of the Amazon address labels in some of their distribution centres which can result in delay.

Seems like most of you aren't being affected by this and do get your eligible parcels next day....

Thanks for your insights!

Posted

I used Amazon Prime when I lived in the UK. The main advantage is that you don't pay shipping costs. And always I had next day delivery. Never a problem.

I moved to Germany and ordered a Kindle 2 days ago. The confirmation mail said it would arrive on the 17th, and I got a "just shipped" mail saying again it would arrive on the 17th -- 2 days from now.

Posted

Ha ha, but in fairness to me the Christmas bonus wasn't confirmed (the amount at least) until the 23rd. However having said that when I lived in the UK I once went to Argos on Christmas eve and bought all 14 required presents in less than an hour. That's what I call last minute.

Argos is always heaving on the last shopping day.

Posted

Saint Argos, the saviour of the British Christmas.