Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Amazon's Kindle Fire

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Any Kindle users and fans out there probably already know about the Kindle Fire. Amazon's very first Tablet PC.

It boasts a 7" antireflective screen, Dual Core processor, custom Android OS, 8 Gb HDD, WiFi only, free Amazon Cloud storage for all Amazon content, Amazon Silk Cloud enabled web browser, and a few more goody's. This has been long touted as the only real challenger to the iPad because of it's offerings, cloud storage, but most of all it's price. Just $199, which makes less than half the price of the cheapest iPad.

Unfortunately, it's only available in the US. ;) Preorders are being taken now and the Fire is expected to begin shipping out within the next few days.

Your thoughts.

Posted

It's that time of the year where everyone's in search of Christmas presents, so I'm digging this thread up again.

Does anyone have any experience with the Kindle Fire?

My daughter wants a tablet for Christmas, there are quite a few cheaper ones out there, but cheap is not always good- There's an offer on now on the run up to Christmas fot 129€ instead of 159€ and I'd rather pay the 129€ for something decent than 100€ for rubbish.

She just really wants one for surfing on FB/Jappy etc, watching YouTube videos and listening to music (and I want her to have one, so she can leave my laptop alone ;) )

I know it doesn't have a built-in camera (unless you go HD, but it's not really a must)

Posted

My daughter wants a tablet for Christmas, there are quite a few cheaper ones out there, but cheap is not always good- There's an offer on now on the run up to Christmas fot 129€ instead of 159€ and I'd rather pay the 129€ for something decent than 100€ for rubbish.

129 EUR? I saw it but only during the Black Friday / Cyber Monday promotions.

Posted

Yes, it costs €159 now and then only if you have the version that receives special offers, i.e. adverts. If you don't want them it costs another €15.

Posted

Yes and for that price I would better go for the Google Nexus 7 16GB (199 EUR)

Posted

I've been using my wife Kindle Fire for a few weeks now.

While it's okay it deffo not as user friendly as the iPad. I knew it wouldn't be for the price but some of the articles I read seemed to compare them pretty close.

It's lacking in various apps and functionality like email etc. You can get email on it but it's not great.

However, for books, movies and Skype etc. it's absolutley fine.

Posted

Thanks for all your input, will take all opinions into account (might actually buy the Google Nexus 7 16GB - for myself ;) )

Posted

129 EUR? I saw it but only during the Black Friday / Cyber Monday promotions.

The 129€ offer is on in our local MediMax

Posted

I spent a lot of time trying to choose between the Kindle Fire HD and the Nexus 7 (note that I would not recommend getting the old Kindle Fire, make sure you get the HD version). In my opinion the advantages of each are as follows:

Kindle Fire HD:

* Slightly better brightness/contrast/colours.

* Superior speakers (although it doesn't matter if you use earphones).

* Full integration with the Amazon store (ebooks, magazines, music, movies).

* HDMI output so you can connect it to your TV (or a hotel TV, etc).

* Dual-antenna Wi-Fi system should be faster for streaming and downloads.

* Easier to use, more of a media/entertainment system.

Nexus 7:

* Smaller/lighter device that's a bit easier to hold (with the same size screen).

* Better speed/performance.

* Open system means easier and better support for third-party apps.

* Better web browser for surfing the internet.

* Better sensors (including compass and GPS) for maps and navigation.

* Easier to customise, more of a personal computer.

In the end I went for the Nexus 7 because I use amazon.co.uk, you can't access content when outside of the registered country, and I don't want to switch to amazon.de. If I were still living in the UK (or used amazon.de) it would be a much harder decision.

Posted

The 129€ offer is on in our local MediMax

Is your local MediMax my local MediMax? Ours is in Nordmeile. I will check it out because our Au-Pair wanted one but she let pass the Amazon promotion.

Edit: You have MediMax in Oranienburg, color me surprised :P

Posted

This is the one she was actually looking for (Intenso tab 17,8 cm (7 Zoll) Tablet-PC (Cortex A9, 1GHz, 512MB RAM, 4GB Flash-Speicher, WiFi, USB 2.0, Android 2.3)), as a friend of hers has the same one, but I figured for that price, I'd rather get her a Kindle