Extreme paragliding, BASE jumping, wingsuit flying

141 posts in this topic

Posted

I have been watching a few bits recently as well.

Some crazy wingsuit flying videos out there.

The weirdest talk at the moment is about making a wingsuit landing WITHOUT a parachute. Yes you read that correctly. Jeb Corliss is one of several seeking to achieve this....he is a little secretive but needs $2M to $3M of funding so the assumptions go along these lines:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/aviation/diy-flying/how-to-land-in-a-wingsuit-sans-parachute

post-544-13206656002859.jpg

Posted

I also loved paragliding, but also decided to sell on my wing. I loved my Edel Apollo. It was a gorgeous craft. The wife has forbidden me from taking it up here.

I still own SCUBA gear which I'm thinking of selling on soon too.

Posted

Take up flying real gliders. A double-skinned cockpit under you & a decent-sized main wheel (depends on the manufacturer) provides a certain amount of safety. Can still kill yourself of course.

Posted

anyone involved in hang gliding? I love this sport done it for 10 years in South Africa, now looking for clubs sites in Germany...

Posted

iPhone app called "Where2fly" is useful....shows all the sites with takeoff, landing and clubs etc. I get the impression that paragliding is more popular due to the easier transportation of your flying kit. Obviously lots of places are tricky with a hang glider.

Posted

What a shame. It must be easy to forget about the risks. Reminds me of this.

...died aged 63 following a stroke... In 2004, her 24-year-old daughter ...was killed after her parachute malfunctioned while she was skydiving in Australia. She found it difficult to come to terms with her loss...

Posted

That clip with the eagle is pretty amazing. If you didn't know, you can hit the caption button and you can read what the guy is saying. Well, half of it anyway, most of it is just **** because he's swearing so much. It's funny when he's talking to his friends asking what would be the best way to untangle the Eagle, and his friend just says "Can't you just kill it?". Russian style all the way.

From what I know of paragliding, the guy flying did everything right. Tried to recover, threw his chute reasonably quickly and then tried to pull in his main wing. Pity he had a pretty shitty landing spot.

Posted

Idiots are born, and die every day.

It seems to be impossible to protect people from themselves.

Posted

Yeh those crazy obese people, the smokers, the junkies and the alcoholics. Seems almost nothing you can do to protect them. Idiots.

Posted

Idiots are born, and die every day.

What an exciting life you must lead..

Posted

BASE jumping looks way to scary for me I guess that is the thrill for some though.

I'll stick to me knitting!

Posted

Yeh those crazy obese people, the smokers, the junkies and the alcoholics. Seems almost nothing you can do to protect them. Idiots.

Yep, not much difference except in time span.

What an exciting life you must lead..

I have plenty of excitement, just the other day I opened a fresh jar of Marmite

People that confuse a near death experience with excitement lack imagination, aren't good at physics, and clearly don't understand probability at all.

Posted

Any statistics will only work if one could analyze every detail. The most accurate I've seen is that 1 in 16 BASE jumpers will die BASE jumping. :P

Take care,

space

Posted

Then why don't they just try Russian roulette with a 16 shot revolver?

Posted

I hope you're not being serious.

Posted

Idiots are born, and die every day.It seems to be impossible to protect people from themselves.

So following your "logic", only idiots are born and die every day.

Why do you desire to protect people from themselves SmittyBoy? Maybe it was the Great George Carlin that stated "Remove the warning labels from everything and let the problem sort itself on its own."

take care,

space