Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Weihenstephaner Vitus wins World's Best Beer Award

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Weihenstephaner Vitus, a weizen bock beer, has received a 'World's Best Beer' award in this year's "World Beer Awards"

post-19162-13197941573837.jpg

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel also won the best wheat beer award.

Posted

Both good beers; Weihenstephan definitely does a better job with its wheat beers than with its bottom-fermenting lagers. The full title of the award should however be "World's Best Beer From Those Breweries That Paid The €175 Entry Fee". I can't really say how many beers are entered into the competition.

Posted

When we lived in Singapore, I remember the revolting local formaldehyde piss "Tiger" beer having some sticker on the bottle proclaiming that it won an award for the world's best beer. In London apparently, which was mentioned presumably in the effort to add some sort of gravitas, though quite how I do not know. I wondered how may other beers entered that competition..

Posted

If Tiger won it, then probably - xxxx, West End, Castle Lager, Emu Export, Budweiser (US, that is), Coors, Warsteiner and Berliner Kindl.

Posted

Don't forget Pabst Blue Ribbon, farmerandy. ;)

175 euro doesn't sound like an extortionate amount to enter a world-class beer competition to me.

Judges have now blind-tasted beers, from over five hundred entries in twenty-seven countries, in the annual World Beer Awards.

Sounds like a pretty good participation rate, too. (This is from last year; this year's isn't up yet.)

Posted

There are a few winners on the list (Rodenbach Grand Cru... heaven), but some real garbage too (Chang... goes best over ice... really ).

Posted

Well I've stood in beer stores with 2,000 different beers on their shelves, and Germany alone has around 7,500 brands of beer, so 500 is still a fairly small pool. This award has nearly 100 categories, meaning an average of five beers competing for each award. It's easy to explain Tiger beer winning an award if there's a category for "Best Asian Premium Lager", which as it happens there is. Even Oettinger has won awards, and their beer is completely undrinkable. Nonetheless, winning overall best beer in such a competition is no mean feat.

There is one other consideration though. A couple of years ago we invited ourselves to a real-ale brewery in the west country where the head brewer suggested that the beer that they submit to competitions isn't quite the same beer that the ordinary punter gets to drink, if you catch his drift. I'm not suggesting that breweries cheat by, for example, dry-hopping the bottles that they submit to the competition, but I am suggesting that breweries cheat by, for example, dry-hopping the bottles that they submit to the competition. If you see what I'm saying.

Posted

Don't forget Pabst Blue Ribbon, farmerandy.

175 euro doesn't sound like an extortionate amount to enter a world-class beer competition to me.

Sounds like a pretty good participation rate, too. (This is from last year; this year's isn't up yet.)

Damn cinzia, I have never tried that! Being an Australian, I like to think of myself as some-what of an expert in the field of gob-smackingly awful, mostly un-drinkable, beer. That is now on my list of "must-try´s". Cheers.

@ STB - Urrgh. I forgot about oetinger. That was my ex´s favourite beer :blink: . Come to think of it, that might well explain why we split :lol: . I have left women for less!

Posted

Has anyone seen this available in Munich?

I've seen it in a Freising Rewe, but nowhere slightly closer to civilisation just yet.

Posted

It'll be available at braukunst live this coming weekend

Heres the (loooooooooong) list of beers that you can sample on Friday, Saturday and Sunday next

http://www.braukunst-live.com/bierliste_2013/