If UK left the EU, would we Brits get kicked out?

137 posts in this topic

Posted

After seeing this article today about some British conservative who suggested the UK leaves the EU, I wondered what would happen to us all. Would we be evicted because we have no right to live/work here unless we go through some application procedure? I imagine we probably would.

I don't think for a minute that they really would leave the EU, so don't think I'm worried.

I just wondered how that would work out. We'd lose the right to live and work anywhere within the EU if our homeland is no longer a member. Or maybe there'd be some kind of amnesty for those already living and working, and only the new applicants going forward would have to "apply".

Posted

I imagine there would be a long period of changeover, finally ending with most of us would get work permits I think.

Posted

You'd probably be able to apply to stay, but if your current job doesn't meet the requirements for passing the Vorrangprüfung (low pay, menial labor, etc.), you'd probably be denied and summarily expelled back to your homeland. Otherwise you'd be limited to teaching English and other jobs requiring native speakers, and would of course face the same health insurance trap that non-EU citizens face when they come here.

Posted

Ah, you mean I :D ´d become an instant American, el Jeffo! There´s worse in this world.

Posted

The current uproar in the commons over the EU vote is nothing more than stuff and nonesense.

Whatever the Brits voted for, the EU would veto so there's no chance of the UK ever leaving-they'd be forced to stay in and endure endless, pointless directives exactly the same as they do now :rolleyes:

Posted

If it really did happen, I guess there'd be time for people already living in Germany for 5+ years to switch to German citizenship as a last resort.

Posted

Oh shit! I've been following the 'Let's kick the bastard bollocky buggery fuckin' whingeing arsehole UK out of the EU' line, and hadn't really thought about what would happen to little old me. Now what? Can't we V for Vendetta The Westminster Gasworks and be done with all this nonsense, once and for all?

Posted

I guess there'd be time for people already living in Germany for 5+ years to switch to German citizenship as a last resort.

But... I'm still (unsuccessfully) trying to get English citizenship. I couldn't ever be German :(

Posted

Could the UK leave the EU but join EFTA along with other outsiders like Norway, Iceland and Switzerland? Iceland is not in the EU but I am still allowed to work here. Granted I do need a residence permit but it is easy to get, get your health insurance and register at arbeitsamt as looking for work and you are in for the next 5 yrs.

Posted

Still got my old ID card from Brazil from the late 70´s. Just in case. Mind you, the beard is a different colour..do you all think I have hopes?

Posted

Don't get an English citizenship, get an Irish one instead :-) Every week the population continues to fall further - far too few people are sticking around to prop up what's left of the economy and support the pensioners of tomorrow :-(

Posted

In the very unlikely event of a non-EU/EFTA UK, it seems to me that UKers who have been resident in Germany for the past five years or more would simply be handed a Niederlassungserlaubnis, or if they are married to Germans, after three years of residence. Of course, any UKer worried about this can naturalize as a German and be able to stay even if this most improbable scenario comes to pass.

Since the UK is already sans-euro, I can't see any real flashpoint that would convince it to leave the EU.

Posted

For those of us that don't have or would not want an entitlement through work, covering this risk is about the only good reason I can think of for getting German citizenship when your time is served (usually eight years) assuming you have the other pre-requisites.

The only other good reason I can think of to do that is if you want to take time in another place without risking permanent residency (ie. having to start from day 1 as an EU newcomer again).

But yes - could I in theory have several hundred k invested in my German home but no right to live in it?

Politically, more likely perhaps is that we may not have a UK to go back to - but Scotland, England etc instead ;) .

Posted

Since the UK is already sans-euro, I can't see any real flashpoint that would convince it to leave the EU.

I also find this scenario extremely unlikely. Few MPs and no major political party would ever support complete withdrawal; that's only a knee-jerk reaction of Daily Mail readers who don't have to worry about the impact of their opinions.

Attention at the moment seems to be on "clawing back power from Brussels", but there's never been any explanation about why Britain expects the other 26 members to indulge their whims and create a two-tier system for the sole benefit of the UK. Were the UK ever to approach the EU with such a proposal, I'm sure they'd be told in no uncertain terms to like it or lump it, leaving the UK with no realistic choice but to play ball.

Posted

If millions of (former) Gastarbeiter were never kicked out, I don't think that the few thousand Brits who live and work in Germany would attract the authorities' attention in the unlikely event that Britain were to leave the EU. The British government would probably come up with some kind of agreement with the EU allowing Brits living in Europe and Europeans living in Britain to carry on with their lives.

Btw: even though Switzerland is not in the EU, Swiss citizens in EU countries have pretty much the same rights as EU citizens. Maybe Britain could cut a similar deal if it ever decides to leave the EU.