Sunday Shopping in Berlin

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Today I went to Potsdamer Platz and noticed that all the shops inside the shopping center were open, which surprised me. I thought all shopping was closed on Sundays all over Berlin? But then I noticed that the hours posted on the window at H&M were only Mon-Sat, and when I asked an employee whether they were open on Sundays or today was a special day, I could not get a clear answer in English. So I was wondering, was today, Sunday Oct 22nd, a special day? I remember Sunday Oct 2nd, the Sunday before national day there were stores open in Ku' Damm pedestrian area, also to my surprise. Any advice where to find shopping on Sunday in Berlin would be most appreciated!

HL

Posted

yes I also noticed this today at my local Kaufland while riding past it

Posted

The shops in the Hauptbahnhof are open every day.

Posted

Today was a verkaufsoffener Sonntag (trading Sunday for old-school Brits) due to the Festival of Lights.

Unfortunately, that's it until December 4th. There will be one more on December 18th.

A regularly updated list can be found at this website.

Stores are also open every day in Ostbahnhof, Bahnhof Friedrichstrasse, Bahnhof Lichtenberg, and Bahnhof Südkreuz. The Ulrich across from Bahnhof Zoo is open every Sunday from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Posted

Muldoon and El Jeffo, thanks so much for the very useful information!!!

I don't feel that Berlin is a strict Catholic/Christian society at all. So I'm wondering, is there a movement or petition to allow shopping on Sundays? If so, where do I sign??!!

Posted

hanguolaohu: I think it's mostly just the expats and the kids that want Sunday shopping, I've been here for 2 years and still miss the choice of shopping either on the Saturday or Sunday. As far as I'm concerned what with the stalling economy, Sunday shopping would be a good shot-in-the-arm for the Germans, job creation, increased consumerism, modernisation, all the buzzwords!

Posted

Today was a verkaufsoffener Sonntag (trading Sunday for old-school Brits) due to the Festival of Lights.

Unfortunately, that's it until December 4th. There will be one more on December 18th.

A regularly updated list can be found at this website.

Stores are also open every day in Ostbahnhof, Bahnhof Friedrichstrasse, Bahnhof Lichtenberg, and Bahnhof Südkreuz. The Ulrich across from Bahnhof Zoo is open every Sunday from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Not entirely true El J, there will be quite a few arcaden open next Sunday, and the Sunday after that on 6.11 - Neukölln Arkaden, Ring Center Frankfurter Allee to name a couple.

Posted

Then I stand corrected, berlinender - but I believe yesterday was the last "official" (Berlin-wide) trading Sunday until December.

Posted

Closed Sundays was a pain in the ass to me when I first got here, but I love it now.

At the risk of sounding all "nyah nyah, poor you", I have noticed that the more somebody resents closed Sunday here, the more poorly integrated he tends to be.

I gave up being upset about things I can't change, a long time ago.

Also, nothing is worse than a guest who comes to your place, bitches and moans about the way you do things, then tries to "fix" what for you, isn't broken. You almost wonder why your guest doesn't just go back to where he came from if things are so much better there.

I love nice, quiet Sundays. Finding time to pick up necessary items in the meantime should also not be that big of a challenge in Berlin as many stores open quite early and close quite late.

Posted

Just an update, in case anyone's missed it: many stores (including Kaiser's) are open today from 1:00 p.m. - some to 6 and some to 8 - on the occasion of the Grüne Woche.

The next one is May 5th, the tt Berliner Theatertreffen

Posted

Oh dear, can't agree that many stores are open late in the evenings in Berlin, at least not my corner of Berlin... definitely are not many places that cater to someone who works 9 am - 8 pm Mon - Fri, which was never a problem for me in the UK.

Left work early to go to Lidl yesterday (our local one closes at 8 pm) and saw a sign on the floor there, "Länger einkaufen bei Lidl! Bis 21 Uhr!" I nearly lol'd. Wow, such long opening hours, I might be able to go there after work without making special plans! :)

Nevertheless, despite the shortness of opening hours compared to the length of my working day, I don't struggle too much and don't have a problem about Sunday opening. That's just how things are here. It does mean I keep a thing of H-milch in the house though, for Sunday out-of-milk disasters, as for me, going with out tea is a minor tragedy... :)

Posted

Sorry... didn't spot the time-jump. Apologies if off-topic.