Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New English speaking football team in Hamburg

80 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all,

I moved to Hamburg around 6 months ago and have settled really well so far, the only thing I am really struggling with is a lack of playing football. I went training with a local team in the centre of Hamburg but my basic German skills made it very difficult to fit in and it didnt work out.

I have seen lots of posts on here for people interested in playing football and wondered if anyone would be prepared to help start a new 11 aside team for next season? I have managed teams in the UK for years and with a bit of local knowledge would be a great way to play regular football while bringing together different cultures currently living in Hamburg. Im certain there are enough of us "foreigners" in Hamburg who want to play football, its just a case of organising the club and applying to the league etc.

Would be great to see a team of all nationalities enjoying football while making friends at the same time. Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Luke.

Posted

Hi Luke,

Me and a few work collegues are interested in joining a club. sent a few emails to a few teams but got no reply (posibly because i wrote in english??) there are three of us looking for 11 a side team. one english (myself), one italian and one greek guy. how difficult do you think it would be?

Matt

Posted

I would be up for it. I aint great but like to play.

There are a lot of players who want to play. I will ask them on Thursday (5vs5) I will let you know!

Posted

I was thinking about this last night. Yeah there seems to be a high demand for a 11 a side team for english speaking people. could it be worth asking around the leagues if there are any teams struggling for players or struggling to stay in the leagues, we could then all join their team?

Posted

Hi Matt/Sam, thanks for your replies.

To be honest, setting up a team in Germany is probably very difficult(lots of forms I bet!) but I like a challenge and we certainly have plenty of time! I'm sure we could find a team that is looking for players and if you find any you think would be interested then let me know, but I really like the idea of creating a little community for us foreigners to play football and meet up socially etc. If we were to set up a team then I dont think finding players would be a problem but finding people to help run a club is always the hardest part. We would definitely need to get some locals on board to help run things.

Also if we start a team then we can decide how it is run with the right attitude about giving everyone the chance to enjoy their football and less about winning every game(although hopefully these could both be achieved!). And there are plenty of english speaking pubs, restuarants and companies that might be interested in sponsoring us a few quid to get a kit etc. As we have time on our side we could create a great club for any english speaking people living in Hamburg and also people visiting for a short time.

If you guys are up for it then I reckon we can easily organise everything for next season, but as I say we will definitely need plenty of people prepared to get involved with then running of the club and not just playing for it.

Let me know what you think.

Luke.

Posted

you fancy meeting up next weekend to discuss the possiblities?

could go watch the everton vs utd game or the chelea vs arsenal game on saturday somewhere?

Of course, all invited!

Posted

Sounds like a good idea to me, I will confirm later tonight but dont think it will be a problem. How about Finnegans Wake near the Rathaus, they show all the televised games?

So where are you from and who do you support? My two teams are Southampton and Dundee United(born down south but half Scottish!), which are giving me mixed emotions this season!

Posted

I am very poor at football.

Although when a ball is at my foot my Englishness causes me to believe God himself pointed his furry beard out of me and said 'Lanny you shall have the football skills of a thousand centipedes with boots on'.

I like to play, I would be up for joining a team. Or even cutting the oranges at half time!! I really need to get fit.

Let me know, I could meet I think at Finnegans!

Lanny

Posted

Lanny, at the moment we have six people interested so your in!!

I think if we all chip in with running the team it should be easy. If anyone knows any other players that might be interested, foreign or German then please spread the word!

Posted

I can also get 3 extra people who are interested in joining a team. I will have an ask around work this week. Btw, Finnigans souds a good meeting point, easy to find as well. I know the ARS/CHE game is mid day kickoff so could meet around 12ish?

btw, Im a Man U fan :( enough said after last weekend!

Posted

Im not sure about Saturday yet, I might be busy, will know later this week. What games are on Sunday or is Saturday better for you guys?

I will start speaking to a few of my German mates for some tips on where to start with setting up a team. If anyone knows anything about the league system here let me know.

Man U? Ok well you dont need any banter from me after that performance! For what its worth as much as I have spent my life enjoying when United lose, I still much prefer them to the clubs who try to buy success like Chelsea and City, at least United have earnt their success over a long period of time. But what do I know, Southampton are owned by a billionaire too!

Will let you know about Saturday as soon as possible.

Luke.

Posted

aye either date is fine, sunday game is at 5 and is tott vs qpr.

yeah i think a german speaker / a few are a must!

Btw I am sure the university would have lots of information if you know anyone there?

Yes, well you cant judge the outcome of the premier league on just one game in october. Lets see whats occurring around May next year. My guess is Balotelli has probably burnt another house down and Giggsy raises the league trophy after signing a new ten year contract! (one of them is a dream)

Posted

Ok, Sunday would be best for me, im sure Spurs v QPR will be a good game, fancy meeting at finnegans wake at around 4ish? Let me know if this is ok.

And I think Giggs could well still be playing in 10 years, although he will probably convert to a goalkeeper, hes so versatile!

Posted

sounds good. will probably be there around 4:30 though.

see you sunday

Posted

Hey, I will be moving to Hamburg around June for 2 years, when I'm finally there I'd be up for a game/ 5aside etc. Be good to meet a few non-work people! Jeff

Posted

Hey guys,

i'd also be interested if something got up and running. I have an O.K grasp of the langauage aswell, so maybe I could also help with setting things up (time permitting)... have you guys found any websites for registering teams or know how the system works here?

I wont be able to meet up this weekend, hope your meeting is productive.

Keep us updated!

Posted

Thanks everyone for your replies, if you are interested in helping out or just want to play can you please message me on here with your names and email addresses?

Irishparks, would be great to have some good German skills on board let me know when you are free to meet up. I havent found a site where you can register, think it will all need to be done on paper by filling out lots of forms(in true German style!). I have a few German friends who play for teams at the lower levels and although they dont have much knowledge of running teams they can at least ask their clubs for info. We have plenty of time so first I think we need to find a group of maybe 4 or 5 people that want to run things and then we can start recruiting players and then organise a few friendlies and training sessions. I must admit im a bit hooked on the idea now!

If anyone has any other suggestions or ideas etc please feel free to post them!

Luke.

Posted

Hello guys,

I will really like to be part of one football team...so if you go ahead with your´s ideeas count on me!!

See you soon.

Marius

Posted

Ok everyone, thanks for all your replies. Myself and Matt(dunnydog) have tried contacting a few existing teams to see if they might be interested in taking on a few new players but so far no replies. I still think it might be worth joining a team for the rest of this season to learn a bit more about the local leagues etc but in the long term our own team still sounds like the best way forward.

I think we should all get together for a kick around, maybe this Saturday at the stadtpark? Please let me know who is interested?

Thanks,

Luke.

Posted

I'd be up for a kick around - next Sat I think would be fine for me

Posted

hey everyone, english dude here!!!

I'd be down with having a kick around, even five a-side if it's just a few of us. It would be great to be in a league, but for now we should just hit a park and kick the crap out of a ball :)

Suggestions on a date for such?

Posted

wondering if this turned into a regular kickabout? anyone want to have a game this Sunday? or anyone know of a regular pick-up game where people turn up to play?

Posted

Hi guys, sorry this lost a bit of momentum over the christmas period and has pretty much come to a halt now. But I am still very passionate about setting up a team for next season and the first step has to be having an informal kick about. Does anyone have any suggestions when and where? I am free on March the 11th/12th and 18th/19th, we could all just meet up in the stadtpark? Let me know your thoughts.

Posted

put me in, ... I live very close to the stadtpark, and will be interested to participate.

=)

Posted

Hi everyone,

we have plenty of interest in having a kickabout at some point but pinning everyone down to a date and time is proving tricky. If anyone is interested, please message me your email address and I will then send a group email suggesting dates etc as I appreciate not everyone is always checking these boards so hopefully email should make things easier. Once we have had a kickabout we can then see how much interest there is to maybe start a team for next season and also how to go about it. If anyone has any other suggestions please just let me know.

Look forward to hearing from you!

Luke.