Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Calculating my tax refund

30 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello,

this year I will have worked 8 months out of 12. My girlfriend says i will get a refund. True?

More specifically:

- It's my first year working here

- I make 60kE brutto

- I got a 5kE bonus (flattened by a 40% tax)

- I will have spent 2kE of train tickets to go to work

thanks

Posted

Since I am not a tax advisor, I can only point out one general issue:

You wrote that you worked this year for only 8 months. If you didn't get any income (or at least considerable lower income) in the remaining 4 months, you can refund a lot of money. The reason is as follows: The more money you earn in Germany, the higher the applied income tax rate will be. As you probably know, the government deduct every month already the income tax from your salary. In order to estimate the appropriate income tax rate, your whole income for the year is calculated by multiplying your monthly income by 12 (in the reality it's a bit more complicated, but never mind...). According to this estimation your average tax rate is determined. But since you only worked for 8 months, your true income for the year is actually much lower then the estimation, and therefore your average tax rate should be lower, too. That's why you can apply for a tax refund to claim this difference back. But keep in mind, that income in other countries also counts for the calculation of the average income tax rate. So if you worked in the remaining 4 months in the USA with the same salary, than this paragraph didn't apply to you!

Travel expenses for going from home to work are also considered for the tax refund.

In order to get such a tax refund (for 2011), you should go to a tax advisor (or "Lohnsteuerhilfe" - might be cheaper) next year.

Posted

For a quick view there are tax calculation tools (Gehaltsrechner brutto-netto) e.g.

http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/service/0,1518,223811,00.html

You can compare the calculated wages after taxes with your income minus the taxes on your pay slip.

Most employees get a refund if they apply for an annual adjustment of wage tax.

Train tickets will be considered as income-related expenses (Werbungskosten). For more details you may consult a tax advisor.

Posted

This calculator is better for ex-pats as it is in English along with a number of explanations of the terms used

Posted

Ok, I calculated my income for 1 year, and that gave me 1306 E/month of taxes.

Then I calculated my income for 1 year again, but using the sum of the 8 months of salary, and that gave me 643 E/ month of taxes. (I did not consider "social security contributions".

So my refund would be (1306 - 643) * 4?

Posted

Probably not - what is your monthly income?

Posted

Actually, provided your calculations are correct (and I cannot vouch for that) your refund will be

(1306 - 643) * 8 = 5304

The reason being that you would have paid (1306-643)= 663 excess tax for each month that you received a salary and not for

the four months that you did not work and therefore received no compensation (and paid no tax at all).

It seems a bit excessive to me but, again, as I don't have your numbers at hand I cannot check it out for you.

Cheers,

Vale

Posted

If you earn 5000€/month and pay Church tax at 8% then your monthly tax bill is 1306€, so over 8 months you'll pay 10448€

If you only work for 8 months then your total salary for the year is 40000€ for which, were that earned over a full year, you'd pay 7722€ in tax.

Your refund will therefore be close to 2726€

Posted

A 50% refund did look a bit excessive. To get such a huge discrepancy you'd probably have to work at most 4 months thus falling almost entirely in the tax-free area.

Still not bad though, have fun spending your refund :D

Cheers,

Vale

Posted

I used to calculate like this:

With 40k yearly gross income and 8% church tax your calculated net salary is 23.927,46 €

If you subtract the net salary of your pay bills (from the calculated 23.927,46 €) and get a positive amount, this is your approximate refund.

(or even a bit more, if your income-related expenses exceed 920 €)

Posted

Hey guys, so I'm on paternity leave (elternzeit) at the moment. I went on maternity leave mid July last year. I received maternity pay from my job/health insurance until 02. November. Regarding Elterngeld... well, it's more than 3 months after I submitted my application and I still haven't received notification / money from the Elterngeldstelle. (Nice.)

So I have 2 questions, I'm going to submit my tax declaration for last year... I guess I'll get some sort of tax back, right? Having paid tax on full salary for 7.5 months, but then receiving mutterschaftsgeld (is this taxable?) and nothing apart from Kindergeld for the rest of the year? I've got my Lohnsteuerbescheinigung (with the total pay / taxes through work) today. so I'm going to fill out the forms.

I've had a quick look on the tax calculators mentioned above, but the figures are varying wildly, I'm not sure how much I'll get back / if at all.

Has anyone else gone through a similar scenario? Should I expect some tax back - would it be euros or a few hundred? (How long is a piece of string, right?)

I do / did have a tax guy, however I'd like to submit my own tax return (did it last year, was surprisingly easy AND i got a refund for myself - got married / changed tax class) if possible.

Second question - obviously, as I've not received any elterngeld (even though it should be back paid), this can't be considered, right?

thanks in advance.

ps Could anyone recommend a Lohnsteuerhilfe in Neukolln/Kreuzberg?

Posted

So I have 2 questions, I'm going to submit my tax declaration for last year... I guess I'll get some sort of tax back, right? Having paid tax on full salary for 7.5 months, but then receiving mutterschaftsgeld (is this taxable?) and nothing apart from Kindergeld for the rest of the year? I've got my Lohnsteuerbescheinigung (with the total pay / taxes through work) today. so I'm going to fill out the forms.

I've had a quick look on the tax calculators mentioned above, but the figures are varying wildly, I'm not sure how much I'll get back / if at all.

Here's a quick example how you can calculate your tax refund.

Example:

Your gross salary is 3,000€

Use this tax calculator to calculate your taxable income:

• change drop-down menu at the top to "2012"
  • tax category: if you are married choose tax class III, if you are unmarried tax class II

For this calculation, I'll assume you're tax class III, since that is the more complicated case.

If you are tax class II the calculation is simpler, you just look at your own income in 2012 and in the progression calculator mark "Grundtarif".

--> taxable income per month = remains_as_taxable_income_per_year/12 = 29.984,00€/12 = 2,498.67€

18,740€ = your taxable income for those 7.5 months: 2,498.67*7,5

+ 20,000€ (I just assumed that amount) = your husband's taxable income (by repeating above steps with his tax class V and his gross salary. If he was self-employed then I assumed his profit was 20,000€ in 2012).

38,740€ total family taxable income

Now, go to this official progression calculator and give in:

check "Splittingtarif"

Zu versteuerndes Einkommen in Euro: 38740

Dem Progressionsvorbehalt unterliegende Ersatzleistungen und Einkünfte in Euro: your Mutterschaftsgeld, e.g. 7,500€: 7500

--> income tax your family as a whole should have paid = Einkommensteuer: 5,971 Euro

You then go back to your Lohnsteuerbestätigung and add up what you paid in income tax with what your husband paid for 2012 in income tax, e.g. in total you paid 6,500€, and from that you subtract 5,971€

--> income tax refund = 6,500€ - 5,971€ = 529€

Second question - obviously, as I've not received any elterngeld (even though it should be back paid), this can't be considered, right?

Correct.

You will have to mention it in line 29 of your Anlage N for the year 2013.

Regarding Elterngeld... well, it's more than 3 months after I submitted my application and I still haven't received notification / money from the Elterngeldstelle.

Follow this up, something has gone wrong, they should at least have confirmed to you that they have received your documentation.

Posted

Here's a quick example how you can calculate your tax refund.

Example: your gross salary is 3,000€

Use this tax calculator to calculate your taxable income:

• change drop-down menu at the top to "2012"
  • tax category: if you are married choose tax class III, if you are unmarried tax class II

Correct.

You will have to mention in line 29 of your Anlage N for the year 2013.

Follow this up, something has gone wrong, they should at least have confirmed to you that they have received your documentation.

Wow, thank you PandaMunich - you're a legend, as always!

I hope I can follow your very detailed instructions to see if I can claim any tax back!

Regarding the Elterngeld topic, yes they have all of the relevant documentation... However in this neck of the woods, it's minimum 15 weeks after the application date before they reply with confirmation of the amount that you will receive and notification of when the payments will start. It's really frustrating. I called before Christmas and the guy who answered the phone was super unhelpful. "if you only applied on x date then there's no point in calling before 15 weeks have passed". :(

But thanks again. I'll see if I can calculate the amount!

Posted

If you earn 5000€/month and pay Church tax at 8% then your monthly tax bill is 1306€, so over 8 months you'll pay 10448€

If you only work for 8 months then your total salary for the year is 40000€ for which, were that earned over a full year, you'd pay 7722€ in tax.

Your refund will therefore be close to 2726€

I am using the WISO software to calculate my tax refund for 2012. Could anyone tell me if the system considers your working dates automatically, for example 01.03-31.12.2012 and works out the refund from the dates input, or is there a separate section of the return in which the claim for this must be stated manually?

Thanks for all the help from the forum re: Tax, I have already completed the sections to receive my relocation costs! Great help!

Many thanks TTers.

Posted

If you have input all the details from your Lohnsteuerbescheinigung then the software will give you the correct tax refund.

The individual dates don't matter, it goes by how much you earned during the calendar year.

Not to put a damper on this, but you are supposed to declare your foreign income in 2012 stemming from the period before you moved to Germany into the Mantelbogen ESt 1A, page 4, line 99, and to attach documentary proof for it.

It will not be taxed again, but it will raise the tax rate that you will have to pay on your German income --> lower tax refund than expected.

Posted

Hi PM,

Thanks for the answer.

RE: Foreign income - that is understandable and seems fair. Luckily in this case, I didn't earn a substantial amount in that time.

Posted

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Hi,

Forgive me if this has been asked before. But is there a tool available to calculate roughly what one would get back from their steuererklärung?

Thanks in advance.

Posted

Hi there!

Sorry to hijack this thread.. But I am completely lost when it comes to taxes, especially in another country. I'm talking someone-blind-folded-me-and-dropped-me-off-at-the-desert lost. :huh:

Anywho! I have tried using the search function, but maybe I'm inputting the wrong words? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

A bit of background in my situation is that I arrived in Germany in February 2012. Worked a mini job (exactly 400€ monthly income) for a family from April-September. I then also worked at a kindergarten from July-September. (800€ monthly contract for part-time.) In September I was married, and then in October started working in a retail store which was 730€ monthly part-time.

So my questions are as follows:

1. Since I did not pay tax while working the mini-job, I'm assuming I don't need to worry about filing taxes for that, correct?

2. While living in Berlin until October, I bought a monthly ticket for the transportation. I dont have any physical reciepts, but can I print off the transaction from my online bank account as proof?

Thank you :)

Posted

Oops never mind, I found the answers in some other threads

Posted

Hi everyone,

I am a newbey here and just want to have a rough idea of what to expect.

I have was on a wrong tax class last year, which I only realized late, and its sorted out now.

My question is how much should i expect to pay back the finanzmat after I do my tax returns?

My gross annual income was 60 k and on tax class 3 instead of 1.

Thank you in advance :rolleyes:

Posted

Good evening,

I am also grinding out the figures for the Tax Declaration this evening.

I just want to clarify something - I have around 1500€ of relocation costs, which I have input into the software. Do I actually get the whole sum back, or is it just deducted from my taxable income, meaning I just get a small portion of this back?

I ask because I had over 3.500€ including relocation, education, travel to work and the Erstattung is showing around 800€ - is this correct or have I done something wrong?

Thanks for your help!

Posted

I have was on a wrong tax class last year, which I only realized late, and its sorted out now.

My question is how much should i expect to pay back the finanzmat after I do my tax returns?

My gross annual income was 60 k and on tax class 3 instead of 1.

You did not say how many months you worked in 2012.

Anyway, you can use this tax calculator, just put in your total gross salary in 2012 (change drop-down menu from monthly to yearly) and then toggle the tax category/tax between I and III.

You will get back the difference between the two "Sum of the Taxes" amounts.

Posted

I just want to clarify something - I have around 1500€ of relocation costs, which I have input into the software. Do I actually get the whole sum back, or is it just deducted from my taxable income, meaning I just get a small portion of this back?

The latter.

I ask because I had over 3.500€ including relocation, education, travel to work and the Erstattung is showing around 800€ - is this correct or have I done something wrong?

It could be right, if your marginal tax rate (= Grenzsteuersatz) was around 23%.

Though that would mean you had a taxable income of around 15,000€ in 2012:

post-24869-13595854831959.gif