Car registration and registration plates

179 posts in this topic

Posted

OK - My mother's decided to move house and therefore my anmeldung as well to Spandau (Berlin). As a consequence I need to change my Scumbag Ostee "HVL" plates for a nice set of "leave-me-alone-or-I'll-run-you-off-the-road" "B" plates.

Living in Spain I'm not relishing the prospect of doing a 2,500km drive in the only five days I can get off right now so I'm trying to find an easier way to sort this.

Am I right in thinking that with a year left on the TuV, when you move house and re-register your car you don't need a new TuV and no-one actually needs to see the car? If so I guess I can just UPS my mother the plates and papers and she can re-register it for me? Is this right?

Anyone know if she can also sort my Anmeldung for me at the Rathaus in Spandau or do I need to do that myself?

Cheers in advance for your help.

S.

Posted

I moved once from Heinsberg to Mönchnegladbach and still had one year of TÜV left and they still wanted to see the car. I think it differs from area to area. The normal Ummeldung she can do for you, you dont have to go yourself.

Posted

The TÜV should still be valid. When my wife moved, she didn`t have to get her car retested.

Posted

New question:

I've just bought a car and went to register it at the Kfz this morning. I hadn't thought to actually bring the car (or, more importantly, the plates) with me (mainly because when i called to ask what to bring they omitted that one). Anyway, I didn't think I'd be allowed to drive it there, but they told me it was no problem to drive it - when i called my insurence company this morning (I only picked up my doppelkarte yesterday) they said I was insured to drive it over the weekend, even though i haven't registered.

So my question is, how long can you drive around without registering it? It's news to me that you're allowed drive it unregistered at all.

Posted

Do you have red plates? or simply the plates from the previous owner?

Posted

The plates from the previous owner are still on the car - she told me to just throw them away when i get my own (they're from outside the city) - I checked the Kfz site but can't find any mention of timeframes for registering.

Posted

It's news to me that you're allowed drive it unregistered at all

It is not unregistered, it is registered to the previous owner. Once you have your doppelkarte, your insurance will pay in case of an accident. Also, the Kaufvertrag should state that you are liable for any issues with the car (speeding tickets etc) from the point of time you bought it, it should also state how long you have to register it in your name (typically 3 business days).

Posted

cheers!

Posted

I think it is 4 days with previous plates and up to 7 days with red plates. When I brought my car over from the states, I had to buy 7-day red plates three times because the TÜV people could not figure out what to do with an American made car.

Posted

Is there a set period of time stated somewhere? the Kaufvertrag I have is just one we downloaded from the ADAC, where it says that I have to take it to the kfz but doesn't tell me by when...

Posted

Look at what it says on your doppelkarte - I think you are covered up to 2 weeks by your insurance without registering in your name, but I would absolutely get it done asap. It's always a hassle if something comes up and you are not properly registered.

Posted

I am fairly certain that it is 4 days as that would cover weekends, including long ones. It is definitely not more than a week though.

Posted

cheers - i'll try and wade through the insurence documentation - though nothing's jumping out at me with regard to the time-frame - is there any particulary thing i should be looking for?

thanks again

Posted

Just go to the KFZ-Zulassungsstelle 1st thing tomorrow morning and the problem is solved, no?

Posted

sadly tomorrow is saturday :(

Posted

Indeed it is, funny that had escaped my attention, esp. since we are in for a long weekend. Well, Tuesday then :)

Posted

New question:

Can you register the car with the old plates or you must get new one?

thanks

Posted

You normally keep the plate if you register a car in the same city.

Posted

New and personalised plates are about €30. Just do it.

You need the old plates to hand over when you re-register the car. You will have a hard time without them. Old plates are destroyed.

Posted

Wrong. You only hand over the old plates if you register the car in another city. In this case they are being destroyed.

If you buy a car in Munich and and register it in Munich, and it has not been "stillgelegt" (taken out of service) you keep the same registration number, so you keep the plates.

edit: if you buy a car from a car dealer it is usually stillgelegt, in this case you get a new number.

If you buy from a private person and it's "fliegender Wechsel" (flying splice) you keep the number as it is related to the car.

Posted

Speaking of insurance, do you know if I'll run into problems getting my car insured by a German company while I'm still waiting to get my UK-registered car through all the TUV exams/bureaucracy and re-register it in Deutschland?

Thanks

Posted

Wrong. You only hand over the old plates if you register the car in another city. In this case they are being destroyed.

If you buy a car in Munich and and register it in Munich, and it has not been "stillgelegt" (taken out of service) you keep the same registration number, so you keep the plates.

Wrong. You normally keep the plates, and the Zulassungstelle prefer you to do so, but if you wish you can register a new number, which can optionally be a personal one, if it's available. This costs more, however.

Posted

Last time I tried that in Hamburg they refused to do so and said the number is related to the car, except it is stillgelegt or you take it to another city.

Maybe I didn't offer EHOUGH money :P