Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Owners want me to move out & sell the apartment

33 posts in this topic

Posted

The company I have been renting from the last 4+ years just wrote me a letter saying they want to sell of all the apartments in the building as individual units.

I don't really want to move but it's ok. This company has been pretty bad to us over the years, neglected to do lots of really essential work resulting in flooding of our rooms, ceilings collapsing etc.

I have heard of friends who got between 10-15k as a golden handshake to move out.

This place is basically 2 apartments joined together, 156m.

Anybody with any advice on how best to deal with this and get as much as possibnle out of them. Sorry if that sounds ruthless but this company has ben terible to us...

Posted

Are you already a member of the Mieterverein?

Last week's Zitty also a great article on renting in Berlin that also offered some advice on how to deal with landlords who are selling.

Posted

Hem and haw..

Think you mean Hum rather than HEM...

Posted

A-hem, I mean exactly what I said. Do you really expect billy to wait around humming and hopping until it rains gold ducats?

Posted

Where I come from, standing around humming ain't necessarily a good thing to do :)

Posted

y'll are too much...

billrobin... I actually own a house and rent out 2 apartments so at first I was really upset. But, it seems like its a company which you are trying to screw - so. If this is true - then okay. If not you are a really a mean person, because people who just bought a house should not have to pay someone to move out so they can live there.

Here's what you might want to think about

1, did they offer you the apartment (even if you don't want to buy it)?

2, how long have you been living there?

3, how much it would cost you more (i.e. you pay 100 the same apartment down the road would cost 200) to rent a new apartment per month

4, your moving costs

5, the fact that you might have to paint, renovate a new apartment (costs)

6, your time (finding a new place, moving)

7, cost for a realitor to find you a new place

for example:

1 - no

2 - 5 years

3 - 75 more per month / 900 per year

4 - 2000

5 - 2000

6 - 10 days

7 - 2 months rent cold

= (is just a play number) 7500€. Ask for 10k and hope that you can walk away with the 7,5k.

don't get greedy. pigs get fat hogs get slaughtered. if you get greedy you'll loose.

Posted

billrobin... I actually own a house and rent out 2 apartments so at first I was really upset. But, it seems like its a company which you are trying to screw - so. If this is true - then okay. If not you are a really a mean person, because people who just bought a house should not have to pay someone to move out so they can live there.

Why are you upset? The people who buy an apartment with a tenant in it must know that the tenant can legally stay there for up to 3 years. Why should the tenant hurry up and move? Maybe he is short of cash and needs to save up. A business transaction where the buyer pays the tenant to leave early might work for both of them.

Same if you are trying to sell a place with a tenant in it. You realize that you are losing potential buyers who might want to live there themselves and know that the tenant can stay for 3 years or they might have to pay him to move. So either you have to sell cheaper or you may have to help your tenant move earlier.

Of course it is also based on the relationship you have with your tenants how nice they want to be to you. Did you read the part where he said that the company has been terrible to them and not done the needed maintenance on the building? It doesn't sound like they were very nice to him. Why should he be nice to them?

Posted

Kat80, how true:

Fat hogs do indeed get slaughtered, but thin hogs starve of hunger in the long, cold Winter.

Maybe I read it wrong, but as far as I can gather, the owners are not selling it for their individual use. I do not think it matters if the owner is an individual or a company. There are bad companies and bad private owners. You treat others as you wish to be treated yourself.

The owners probably already have a figure in mind. They will probably offer less at the beginning to see how many fish bite, then as time goes by, they will decorate the hook with tastier morsels.

Posted

can someone recommend a good mietverain (sp?0 in Berlin please? Also do I need to have been a member for a period of time before I will get assistance from them or..??

Posted

I was in the Berliner Mieterverein until we bought our place in 2005.

They can give you advice from the day you join, but if anything goes to court, the associated legal insurance has a 90-day waiting period.

This shouldn't affect you, as I assume you're aiming to get the largest possible settlement, not take them to court.

As an alternative, you could also demand that they offer you equivalent premises in one of their other (presumably already renovated) buildings, plus all moving expenses.

As others have said, don't sell yourself short on this one: when a building is being subdivided for the first time, you can stay for years before they can turf you out. Make them pay for that privilege.

Posted

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Question...and yes I will contact the Mietverein, but perhaps others have had experience with this.

We took a place that a family had just bought and renovated. I kept asking them why they don't just move into the place themselves, as they renovated to a high standard. They kept saying they wanted to keep their kid in his current situation.

Subsequently from a neighbor who knows them, I have surmised that their long term plans is to do just that...in 2 or 3 years.

We have a rolling rental contact, with no fixed end date.

So when they decide they want the place back, what rights will we have to stay? Our kids will be well situated in the local schools, and housing is hard to find here.

Any shared experience welcome.

Posted

This topic was merged...but actually I am not asking the same question.

The OP was talking about the situation where they wanted to evict him in order to SELL the apartment.

In our case the owners (and we are their first tenants since they bought the place), apparently have a plan to move into the place (they have never actually lived in it), in 2 to 3 years...something they did not tell us.

Our plan was to live in it long term.

Posted

No personal experience here, but as far as I know, the owner still has to demonstrate that he needs the property, and can't just kick you out because he feels like living there. This implies that a change in his circumstances is needed - such as kids growing up and needing more space (or wanting to move out of home to there), him getting evicted from his current flat, or a divorce.

If he knew that he would want to move into your flat at some point, then he should have organised a "Zeitmietvertrag" for 2 or 3 years (or whenever he can move his kid), citing "Eigenbedarf" as the reason, instead of an open ended contract, because you can make it very difficult for him.

Posted

In general, a court case of Eigenbedarf can take a year or more to get you out. It's really the only way to get you out so many who want to sell will say they want to use it themselves but really only want to sell it more easily by having it empty. My suggestion is to negotiate with them. Tell them you will go if they give you in writing the moving costs and the agent fees. Otherwise, your legal insurance will cover a long and drawn out case. They should know this but they are probably banking on the fact that most foreigners don't know it.

Posted

No desire to move. This was just the kind of apartment we were looking for, and moved after only 1 year at our previous flat, at a lot of expense and stress, just so we could take it.

Not really looking for a payout, just to stay put.

Posted

Thanks. That makes me more secure in our position. He DEFINATELY poo-poo'd moving in.

Posted

That's good to hear, that he expressed h definitely did NOT want to move in anytime soon when handing over the apartment to you. You might want to make a short note of that conversation, and have whoever was with you sign it. That way, you don't have to dredge anything up on the spot, if push comes to shove, but can say: Oh, I have a Gesprächsnotiz of the handover. This will not be legally binding, but it could be helpful, especially if you have a witness.

Posted

...the f@cking Mieterverein...

What have you got against the Mieterverein?

Posted

Tax-wise it makes a lot of sense to buy a house and renovate it to a high standard - then if you rent it out initially then you can offset most of your renovation costs against tax. If you would move in yourself straight away then you can't offset these costs.

I suspect your landlord possibly had this in mind when he entered into the contract with you

http://www.steuer-schutzbrief.de/steuertipp-rubriken/steuer-tipps/artikel/steuersparmodell-immobilie-erst-vermieten-dann-selbst-einziehen.html

Posted

You got this info by chatting with a neighbor?

I feel that you may be worrying prematurely about something that may not happen.

2 to 3 yrs. is a long time. A lot can happen.