Questions on Arbeitslosengeld 1 (ALG)

30 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi everyone,

Hope someone knows the ins and outs of ALG 1 better than myself (and the person for who I'm asking).

So, this person claimed the full year of ALG 1, and found a job immediately after it ran out. During the year of ALG 1, it was broken up by a five month position where they got paid normally, which was not enough to start the 12 months again.

In other words:

6 months ALG 1

5 months work

6 months ALG 1 (= 12 months, ALG 1 then finished)

Then work again

The question is, how long does this person have to work in the current job to be able to claim ALG 1 again. Is this 7 months (to make up the 1 year of working rule) or does the year start from scratch at the new job due to them having claimed the full ALG 1 before?

Many thanks in advance

RN

Posted

The ruling is the last 12 months so just add up all the last 12 months

Posted

I should really retitle this "quick questions":

Would be really grateful if anyone could help answer any of these - and yes, I have searched but haven't found any answers to these specific questions.

I'm about to be unemployed and have applied for - and will receive Arbeitslosengeld 1 for 15 months.

1. If I get a temporary job e.g. a few weeks teaching, which pays less than my last job which the level of AG1 was calculated on and then become unemployed again, is my AG1 afterwards calculated on my better paid job or on the lower paid temporary work?

2. If I rent out a flat, does this rent which I receive count as income which I have to declare to the Arbeitsamt or is it only earned income which has to be declared?

3. I have a possibility of being able to get help from the Arbeitsamt to improve my German. The advisor I saw told me there's a list of approved (i.e. schools which can be funded by the Arbeitsamt) language schools on the Arbeitsagentur home page but I can't find it. Am I being stupid or is it really not there?

4. I don't think I'm going to find a "proper job" very easily. I do have a reasonable chance of picking up bits of work here and there. I understand that if I earn over 165€ a month all surplus gets taken by the Arbeitsamt - I have no problem with that but at what level of income would I have to start paying my own health insurance again? (I can foresee life getting very complicated if this changes every week or so)

Any answers would be great- didn't really find out too much from the interview at the Arbeitsagentur - the advisor I was supposed to see wasn't there and they had to find another one to see me at the last minute, which meant she didn't have my forms - and I really struggled with her accent!

Posted

Howdy All.

[My very first post, ever]

Recently I tried to claim ALG 1 as I had worked in Germany from 1992 to 2000 paying full tax and all the trimmings then I began working in Germany as a Uk civil servant paying uk tax & trimmings. I am now unemployed and thought I could claim ALG 1 as I had so many years paid in but was told by the AfA smiling knife that I was not entitled to any money as I had not worked here in the last 2 years I was not comfortable going there and I have never claimed anything from the social systems in UK or Germany ever. it was a very bad experience, not to be repeated, my only question is what has happened to my contributions into the German system is it paying AfA wages who spend large amounts of time sitting around with nowt to do chatting with the many other AfA staff with equally less things to do if they're not chatting they're outside the emergency exit doors smoking, smoking is obviously an emergency but watch out if you try to exit the building through them in a non emergency situation and you ain't AfA staff, All I know is my contributions ain't making there way in my direction anytime soon.

Posted

my only question is what has happened to my contributions into the German system

They have already spent that money a long time ago. You would have qualified for ALG I until 2004 or so because you must have at least 12 months of work in the past 5 years in order to be eligible.

However, if you paid your taxes in the UK, you should check if you qualify for unemployment benefits there. You can possibly get your UK benefits transferred to Germany for up to 3 months.

Posted

Howdy All.

[My very first post, ever]

Recently I tried to claim ALG 1 as I had worked in Germany from 1992 to 2000 paying full tax and all the trimmings then I began working in Germany as a Uk civil servant paying uk tax & trimmings.

Just being nosy - what sort of UK civil service role was it that you could do from Germany?

Posted

Military support?

Posted

I also have a question about Arbeitslosengeld 1. My husband will be made redundant shortly and will qualify for ALG1. Until now, as I have not been working, I have been covered by his health insurance. When he is on ALG1 and his health insurance is being paid for by the Arbeitsamt, will I still be covered? We are both British if that's relevant.

Thanks for any replies.

Posted

Yes, don't worry, that is one of the advantages of public health insurance.

Posted

Hello,

Today happens to be the last day of work in my company as I had resigned. I had visited the BA office and registered as Arbeitsuchend 8 days ago and today had gone there for my Arbeitlosengeld meldung. I was informed(understood) that I'll be receiving the monetary benefits only by the end of Februar 2015 and that my ex-employer would take care of my Health Insurance until 28th December2014 :unsure: and the BA office shall takeover the Health Insurance part from 29th December2014.

Has anyone had a similar experience w.r.t. the Health insurance being paid by the ex-employer, for the first month or so?

Thanks in advance.

Posted

I have similar situation now and first time registered at the Bundesagentur für Arbeit to get the Arbeitslosgeld.

They already sent me a letter to work at a place which I will reject it.

Can anyone tell me the procedures of getting this unemployment benefit and can you reject the job offers sent by them to you?

Do you personally have to contact the employer on the letter or you can just write your reason on the letter and return to the Agency?

I vaguely heard from an ex colleague that you got the right to reject their job offers 3 or 4 times then you might be struck off the unemployment benefits.

I am entitled to 6 months and hope for retraining in another field.

I will try to convince them to give me a Training Gutschein to retrain.

THanks in advance.

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Posted

You seem to expect a lot... If you are offered a job while on benefits you are expected to accept and AFAIK you do have to attend the interviews proposed by the employment office, but if you go in with this attitude it's unlikely you would be offered a job anyway. Or maybe I misunderstand?

Posted

I have similar situation now and first time registered at the Bundesagentur für Arbeit to get the Arbeitslosgeld.

They already sent me a letter to work at a place which I will reject it.

Can anyone tell me the procedures of getting this unemployment benefit and can you reject the job offers sent by them to you?

Do you personally have to contact the employer on the letter or you can just write your reason on the letter and return to the Agency?

I vaguely heard from an ex colleague that you got the right to reject their job offers 3 or 4 times then you might be struck off the unemployment benefits.

I will try to convince them to give me a Training Gutschein to retrain.

THanks in advance.

Anything else that you'd like to be handed on a silver plate and have the tax payer pay for you?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no such thing as a 6 month entitlement of Arbeitslosengeld I believe. You have to work for 12 months in the preceeding 2 years to be entitled and you'd get it for 12 months.

You must take care of interviews etc yourself of course! Just writing "I don't fancy this" will get you barred and rightly so. Again, not sure, but rejecting a job offer is a no no and will get you barred, unless there is a good reason.

Can't imagine anyone giving you Training unless you are underqualified and seeing they've already sent you a job offer, it's very unlikely. Why should they pay for you anyhow? Get your arse off the ground and start looking for work and stop making excuses

Posted

a) In ALG1, no one forces you to respond to Vermittlungsvorschläge. In ALG2, that'll quickly get your payout cut down. And not after 3 or 4, any rejection counts.

B) Actual retraining comes after 2-3 years on ALG2, never on ALG1. Expect "aversion therapy" when you enter ALG2, intensive Bewerbungstraining at 6-12 months ALG2, and them forcing you to try for unpaid internships at 18-24 months. Retraining comes about a year steps later. But:

c) If the age given in your profile is correct you're 64. If that is your correct age, you don't get any retraining or anything else, they'll just push for early retirement to get you off their books. The moment you hit ALG2.

Posted

thanks for the feedback. No I am not lazy and someone really think I should get off my axxx...sorry I am not used to such harsh words.

No, I am not 64 years old either but holding a degree which is already recognized by the German authorities and being asked to do a cleaner's job.

Would you be grinning to do it???

Just because I am an Alien with an alien name has led to the stereotyping of me by the worker at the Arbeitsamt to send me to such jobs...

Well, if this is going to be the case, I will just deregister from my entitled 6 months. For every year of work and payment to the unemployment fund, you get 6 months Anspruch. That is normal.

Posted

I would be grinning to do such a job. I have a degree too and when I came to Germany I worked in a factory while getting my German up to speed. I had fun, worked on my muscles and met a lot of cool people but in the end I got a better job.

I asked the arbeitsamt about things like retraining etc. and they said you only get retraining if you are low skilled. Maybe your arbeitsamt will say something else. You'd have to book an appointment and ask them.

Posted

Camlough, I must say to you that you do not know how difficult it is to live in a tiny place and getting limited chances of a job suitable for me. You must be lucky to hold a decent job that is why you reacted that way. Have some empathy as I am stuck in a narrow-minded town with family. It is not so easy to shift away to a big city like Berlin, Frankfurt or Munich where the job opportunities would be much better.

Posted

Camlough, I must say to you that you do not know how difficult it is to live in a tiny place and getting limited chances of a job suitable for me. You must be lucky to hold a decent job that is why you reacted that way. Have some empathy as I am stuck in a narrow-minded town with family. It is not so easy to shift away to a big city like Berlin, Frankfurt or Munich where the job opportunities would be much better.

Evening, Zeppelinfan ( Led or the airplane thing?): what is your degree in? Was it a degree taken about 30 or 40 years ago? We are of a similar age and I know my degree(s) from way back then are absolutely worthless now, maybe always were anyway in Germany ( or even back in the UK! :D ) and maybe you might be able to teach something to earn some money privately? What can you do?