Place to live in NRW

23 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi All,

I'm about to move to NRW, and was trying to figure out which city better to stay in

I was trying to compare between Aachen and Dusseldorf, I know that it is totally different based on each person life style, but just wanted your feedback in general in case you have +ve or -ve points for each considering: Dynamic life style, facilities, living expenses, ...etc

Thanks

Posted

What would your job/living situation be like?

Posted

Well in fact in both cases I'll be commuting to work mainly the same distance

So I'm trying to figure out which city is more dynamic and international from your point of view?

Which city is less in terms of cost of living?

Which city has better facilities, like places for sports, restaurants ...etc. I'm sure both have such things, but some times if the city is too small you will have to go to the other side of the city just to make some sports or go to a good restaurant

Posted

Well, Aachen is considerably smaller and more or less dominated by students. I mean the total population is 250k and between them, the RWTH and FH have 40k students and 10k employees. So as far as restaurants, gyms and other venues are concerned, a lot of them cater to students. It's cheaper to go out in Aachen, but I don't think there's a major difference in terms of housing costs, because all those students also drive demand for affordable places. It's a nice city though, and being able to pop over to Belgium or the Netherlands for breakfast is a bonus too.

Düsseldorf is more than twice the size, caters more to professionals and has better public transport.

Posted

Aachen or Duesseldorf? Koeln.

Posted

I'd say go to Dusseldorf. I've lived here in Aachen since April, its a nice city but as mentioned above it is rammed full of students.

Its only a small place, you feel like you've seen everything after a couple of months.

Another thing - because Aachen has one of the best technical universities in the world (as I've been told on many occassions), the male to female ratio is about 6:1. When you're out drinking, about 70% of the people you meet are doing phd's.

Depends what you're looking for really...

Posted

Don't know if you already made your choice, but I'll add my point of view anyway.

I live in Düsseldorf Altstadt - moved there summer 2010 and I still enjoy living there very much.

Düsseldorf is a very international city and it has a large number of conferences and the local airport which generates a lot of activity in the city. A lot of money is moving through the city so you will find a lot of fancy hotels, restaurants and shops. That doesn't mean that you can't find a local Aldi or other discount supermarkets. Therefore I don't find the cost of living too high. It's a nice mix of the high end Königsallee, Medienhafen and Oberkassel and the more fairly priced Bilk, Derendorf and Pempelfort.

I thought of settling down in Aachen when I first got stationed in Germany but found the town too small as ball00 mentioned. Aachen is a beautiful city though...

I work near the Geilenkirchen area so my commute is app. 60 minutes as opposed to 45 minutes to Aachen.

Personally I think the 15 minutes more on the autobahn are well spent.

Hope this post helps.

Posted

Dusseldorf wins hands down in the comparison you talk about. I have lived in Dusseldorf and now i live in Bonn but spend a lot of time in Aachen because of gf. The only positive Aacen geographically has is that it is close to both Belgium (french speaking part Liege Aubel etc. ) (lovely french food obtainable and sorry Germany at least three Belgian beers are better than anything Germany has to offer and I love German beer) and it is close to Netherlands (Massatricht not far)so there is more diversity than Dusseldorf from that aspect. Duss far more international.

Additional fator is due to expansion of research facilities in Aachen and lack of suitable additional housing the pricies are starting to rise for renting and buying and will continue to do so as long as the problem is not addressed.

Posted

I have lived on Aachen for 4 years and, while I have lived in a bunch of places around the world, I think that Aachen is the most livable city of all of them. It is just big enough to have everything that you need but without the big city hassles. Great bus system and you can be in the Netherlands or Belgium in minutes. Or, since Aachen is on the high speed rail line, you can get around central Europe easily. The student areas are the place to go for cheap food but, you can live in a different quarter of the city and not really ever see a student. Also, if you like outdoor activities, the south and west of Aachen is forested (The Aachenwald) and the Eifel mountains are less than a half an hour drive away.

Posted

Might be too late, but for what it's worth...I've lived in Aachen for several years now and am quite happy. Of course it doesn't have the same cultural and entertainment offerings as Düsseldorf and Köln, but they are both a short train ride away. We went to see Colplay last month in Köln and are going to see Snow Patrol next month in Düsseldorf.

Since moving here, there's definitely been a nice steady increase in the live music scene and there are enough restaurants, bars, etc, for daily life.

And Paris is just 2 1/2 hrs away by train! We manage to squeeze that in once or twice a year.

Posted

Great discussion here!

I was evaluating the same problem, choosing between Dusseldorf and Aachen for a possible future job and moving to the NRW area.

So do you think that Aachen is better because its easier to get to the high speed trains and then to the rest of Europe?

What is the time needed to get from Dusseldorf to Aachen anyway?

Posted

Aachen is an hour by car from Duss, its about the same on the train except that you usually have to go via Koln anyway and for high speed (Thalys) definitely..Its less than half the size, Duss is more international, Aachen great for Belgium/Netherlands which is on the doorstep. it is a lovely city, has quite some of the antique features present..Great Kon is about 40 mins, Liege about the same and Maastricht close..Paris is about three hours..by Thalys, Brussels about 1hr 30 minutes by car, Eindoven, Antwerp easily rachable and the Blue Ardennes just south of Liege is beautiful , The Eifel is nearby, towns like Monschau which is like stepping back in time, the Westwall area, very fascinating, the big Horseshow Chio, is great..

Posted

Everybody here says and assumes that Aachen is a quiet city. It might have been unlucky but I visited Aachen 4 times in my life. In two separate occasions I was attacked (not seriously) by a gang of "Migrationshintergrund" youths.

Passers-by in both occasions shouted racial abuse to these youths and told me this was common in the city centre. I was then living in Maastricht and was considering moving to Aachen but I changed my mind. As I said I could just be unlucky but there must be some ethnic tension round there.

Posted

Maastricht much better and more beautiful anyway:-)

Posted

The only problem Maastricht has got is that it sticks to Holland. Different country all together, nice but... Duesseldorf is the place to be..

Posted

Should have stayed in Maastricht (...bites hands)

Posted

1.) Some say that aachen combines the advantages of a village with the advantages of a city.

2.) Others say that aachen combines the disadvantages of a village with the disadvantages of a city.

After living in AC for 25 years I happily go for 1.), but other folks mileage may vary.

Cheers

Franklan

Posted

Leaving Maastricht and the Netherlands aside, which are big cities are easily commuted from Aachen and is it worth it money-wise?

Posted

Hi everyone,

I'm a 31 yr old female, just moved to Aachen from San Diego and although it is a lovely city I am finding it tough to meet people and find things to do...it seems as though some of you know the area really well, can you suggest any resources? I've researched a few gyms including the one at RWTH but other than that...btw I just joined TT so please forgive me if I committed bad etiquette and/or hijacked this thread! Thanks :)

Posted

Hi SD_Mausi,

https://www.facebook.com/groups/144900475013/

Cheers

Franklan

Posted

Thanks Franklan! Sorry I didn't realize you had posted this until now :) I joined the FB group as well as the Aachen Meetup group and have met a few people that way. I am still getting used to it here...it's growing on me :) Hope all is well with you!

Posted

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Hello! I am a 20 year old romanian student and I will finish my bachelor's degree next year in Medical Physics. My parents have been living and working in NRW for about 4 years now (note that they do not live in or that close to Aachen) and I decided to apply for a masters degree at the RWTH-Aachen to be closer to them and my sister and because I believe it will widen my oportunities for a productive career. To summarize I have some curiosities about the region and some of its aspects that I would like to as you, members of this seemingly fun online comunity :D

1. What are the rent prices in general in Aachen and are there any student residences? (my best friend will join me so we will most likely split it)
    2. What are the the job oportunities considering my german is decent but not nearly perfect, (I can get my point across and understand most of what I'm told if the conversation isn't rushed)?
    3. Is the student life hard in Germany? Like ammount of learning material..
    4. How is the public transportation in Aachen?

and finally what would you guys consider to be the perks and dissadvantages of living in Aachen? any oppinion is greatly appreciated. :D