Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Spam phone calls from 0088-888

15 posts in this topic

Posted

For the last week I have been getting ghost phone calls from a number 00888888. Initially this did not come up on my display, just a club like from a pack of cards. Answer and you get a dead line. Tried to call back a couple of times and it is a recorded message that nobody is on duty at that number. Does this mean I have called Trinidad & Tobago and am going to get billed accordingly? It happens two or three times a day including the evenings when it really is a nuisance cos my lo is in bed. Anybody have any experience of such calls and any idea how I can stop it? My phone does not appear to have a number blocking function. Can numbers be blocked in the modem?

Posted

0088 is a satellite phone number.

Yes you will get billed.

It is a well known scam. They call people a lot always hanging up after one or two rings, in the hope that theyve got a enabled phone that records the caller number. People get curious and call back. bingo...

Definetly alarm authorities but your money is gone and they will not be caught (satellite phone...).

Just to amend:

It is most likely a pay for number meaning you will have to pay quite a high charge. Perhaps you can wriggle out of this additional charge. Immidiately try your provider. They will also be able to block the number.

Posted

Baffles the mind why one would call back an unknown number.

Posted

s e v e n d a y s *click*

Posted

@Fraufruit... because when you run to the phone 3 times a day and nobody is there and it wakes your kid up in the evenings when she has just gone to sleep it starts to really bug you. You want to tell them to F-off. Bastards just rang again. This is telephone harassment with intent to defraud. I fell for it and tried ringing back. Now I would like it to stop.

Thanks matarjari for your useful info. You can PAY to have numbers blocked by my provider... this makes my day. :(

Posted

Waking a sleeping child. Bafflement over. I would have called, too.

Hopefully your provider will be understanding in this situation.

Best of luck!

edited to add - Thanks for bringing this here so we can all be aware.

Posted

Thanks FF. Indeed I did not realise that this scam existed. Spam e-mails yes. Spam mail, yes. But spam telephone calls? We live and learn.

Posted

Yeah, where have I been?

Posted

I am getting 2 spam calls a day and I've stopped bothering to answer but they are still very irritating.

Does anyone know if there is an iphone app which makes it possible to block calls from a particular number?

Posted

s e v e n d a y s *click*

Haha..good one! :D

Posted

I am Starting to get calls from 08453510043 and 01212602936

Both start with the Greeting " Important message for " My name" ... Press any key to continue.

This is only happening on My UK incomming VOIP number that very few people know.. So maybe my VOIP provider has sold my info!!!

Posted

Here's what I do:

1. Google the number

2. if already listed or I am otherwise sure it is span, block it in my FritzBox ADSL modem/DECT base station

Posted

I havent used a natwest account in over 8yrs...

As far as I know, everything was closed down...