Life in Giesing

52 posts in this topic

Posted

I have found a few places to rent in Giesing.

What do you have to say about the shops, the schools, and all the rest of that piece of munich? Is it a good place to raise a 3 year old daughter?

Thanx

Posted

There is no life in Giesing, all the best bars are in Schwabing far as I know. Except for a pokey little hole in the wall where a right bunch of old slappers go to get laid.

Posted

Unemployed Immigrant area, lots of bored youth. Take a walk around the station you´ll see what I mean.

take care,

space

Posted

Baloney! My in-laws live there. It mainly is a working class section of town with a lot of echt Münchner. I feel safer going to visit them than other parts of munich. Schools and kindergardens are fine, comperable to Schwabing (where I live) meaning there are some good ones and some ok ones. Clueless about the nightlife myself, I would have to ask my 18 and 21 year old nephews (who grew up there as well).

Posted

my office is near the Grünwalder Stadium, so i can only comment on during the day. i think it is okay, the tram takes you in less than 15mins to Rosenheimerplatz, the Isar is not too far away. you can describe it is a "working class" area but it has a relaxed atmoshere. there is a mix of nationalities and are quite a lot of school children.

night life - i am not so sure...

Posted

Depends what part of Giesing. North of Tegernseer Landstraße should be ok, as it borders with Haidhausen/Au and has nice features such as Nockherberg.

Other than that Giesing is a traditional working class area with not much fun going on.

Posted

What's the name of the pokey little hole in the wall where a right bunch of old slappers go to get laid?

Posted

When we come to munich we stay in the Apart hotel in Giesing.

Its not a pretty area but we spent a great evening in a bar chatting to the locals ** at the bar. It was just like "Cheers" Munich style...manual workers & professionals all sharing a beer and a chat,,,,very "quaint" and I wouldn't say at all "rough" but then again I was born in Birmingham :blink:

**or was it the locals chatting up Rose while I was in the loo ??

Posted

well, I would want to know around Candidplatz, maybe..

Or what about Au or Haidhausen.

I might even consider Au..

what do you think?

Posted

you know there is no BAD areas within Munich to live... each area, district, whatever, should have transport links, regardless (bus, tram, uban) to get you anywhere in Munich, each area has there own shops, bars, schools, etc ... but all in all, where ever you choose to live in Munich is a pretty good area... :)

Posted

Giesing is full of normal people living in normal flats and lots of foreigners. There is Café Giesing, a cultural centre near the station, a big Asian store near the station, V-Markt with cheap petrol, a large Turkish community and various bars and restaurants which I thought were ok. And I thought I was the snob, not you lot! There's also Praktiker which is quite useful and it's right on the motorway going south.

Posted

@Pixie & Taurus-Bull,

I wish that I had the luxury of choosing my exact neighbourhood when I first moved to Munich. With the property market the way it is I was happy to get somewhere, anywhere! As long as it was of reasonable quality and price, located close to the U-Bahn, and away from a busy main road.

Why don't you guys do the same? Just see what comes up? And if you really want to know what all these places are like, well hey! Why not go visit them?! Do some pavement pounding! That'll give you a far better impression than any posts to any webforum.

Previous topics from the two of you:

Make your mind up already!!!

If you need further detailed advice on every single district in and around Munich, try contacting a relocation agency. They'll be glad to hold your hand through every minor step of your relocation trauma.

Posted

good researh twirlie. i used to live in Giesing (last u-bahn station near mangfallplatz), but i think i'll keep my comments to myself.

Posted

Untergiesing, the area around Candidplatz and the zoo, is a fine old area of Munich - many true natives live here, there's a good sense of community with lots of local character(s). There are less attractive areas in Giesing but Candidplatz is great.

The U1 gets you easily to Hauptbahnhof, a short bike ride gets you to the Flaucher (a nice green park along the Isar river) where most of Munich spends the summer barbequeing, there are bars (even the late night Dubliner) although the area is generally quiet and peaceful. If you want more then Marienplatz is only 10 minutes by bike, and it's a half hour walk home from the Wiesn. It's safe, and clean partially because most people go elsewhere to for their nights out. You are near the home of 1860.

The local food shops are great, no need to put up with rudeness and crap produce in supermarkets, but there's a good selection of those if you like the style. There's a main post office, Karstadt, and shops selling everything else you could want around Tegernseerlandstr. There's an English speaking doctor by the stadium and a dentists by the Dubliner.

Being in the South of Munich makes access to the mountains quick - handy for going skiing. Parking on the street is still a challenge but easier than some other districts. I could go on...

In short, you can keep Schwabing, thanks very much. I'll cycle up there if I want anything it offers.

Posted

Good info, HellesAngel. Only slight correction is that Giesing is the ex-home of TSV 1860. This year they moved to the Alianz Arena in Freimann, surely?

As for the English speaking doctor and dentists, do you have more exact details which for contacting them? An address or telephone number, or even just the names?

One more thing to add, Giesing is where the Nockherberg Paulauner brewery is located. The Starkbierfest is based here every March.

Posted

Nonononononoooo Twirlie, ask anyone round here and they'll all tell you that 1860 has only one home, one they certainly don't share with Bayern Munich...

Anyway, important stuff taken care of - the doctor is Dorothee Merck, Gruenwalderstr 53, phone 089 692 76 72 (there's a thread about this, do a search on Toytown). Her surgery looks like something out of the 50's and her nurse has an odd twitch which did make me smile as she was trying to get a needle in my arm but they're both friendly and helpful.

The dentists is in the brown office block directly on Candidplatz and she has the wonderful name of Karsch. Sorry, my original post was slightly misleading, I spoke German to her so I'd have to check if she speaks English but her repairs to my teeth were fine. Dr. Brigitta Karsch, Candidplatz 13, 089 6510 2223.

Posted

Cool. Thanks!

Posted

Traditional working class area of Munich, pretty cosmopolitan mix of nationalities and certainly not rich.

Noticeable, people are moving to the area now as they can't afford Glockenbach or Au any more.

Rumour on the grapevine has it that Giesing is gonna boom / yuppify sometime soon.

With U1, U2 tram etc it is well conencted to all over town.

Nightlife, there's the Dubliner (remember nights in there old skoolers? :D ) but apart from that it IS mostly drinker's pubs. GREAT for improving your German, well, Münchnerisch!

Posted

Twirlie

My interest was only about Giesing,fyi.

I would actually agree with Pixie, If one never lived here before, what else are you suppose to do, if you had to start your life a.s.a.p and you need to make the right decision for your husband and daughter, as in her case.

Some people do not have the whole year to go travelling through different part of Bayern and then decide where one wants to live.

So feedback of different people could help you in that regard. Shop and

stuff can be nice, but not always the people living there...

As for finding out about Places to live what better way to find out

from people who actually lives there, rather than doing "pavement pounding"Theres definitely a difference between just doing "pavement pounding" and acually living and making life in a specific "town".

Ok, so thats my six cents for the day...

;)

Posted

Twirlie

My interest was only about Giesing, fyi.

I would actually agree with Pixie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, sorry. I got the impression that you and Pixie were a couple. Not many South Africans arrive in Munich at exactly the same time and ask exactly the same kind of questions on TT. I presumed you had been posting together.