Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ummeldung - change of address

20 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello,

Is it necessary to submit an Ummeldung form if you're moving within the same city, and just for a short while? And why?

Are there any penalties for not filing? When and how would those be enforced?

I have searched through this forum, but haven't found precise information.

*sneeze*

gesundheit

Posted

How short and are you moving back to your old place?

Für die An- bzw. Ummeldung des Wohnsitzes bleibt Ihnen in den meisten Gemeinden nur eine Woche, allerhöchstens zwei Wochen Zeit. Sollten Sie diese Frist nicht einhalten, kann ein Ordnungsgeld von bis zu 500 EUR verhängt werden. Das gilt übrigens auch für die Ummeldung von Kraftfahrzeugen.

1 max 2 weeks to do it, max 500 EU fine.

Since Berlin has an Einwohnermeldeamt for every district search for "Einwohnermeldeamt+ e.g Pankow" and you'll find what you need online. Maybe you have to go there personally to get your papers changed.

Posted

Well I've missed that deadline anyway. How and when would such a fine imposed?

Posted

It is an Ordnungswidrigkeit. However, usually no one bothers if you have missed the deadline provided you do show up and register.

Posted

To re-quote part of Beuel's quote "Sollten Sie diese Frist nicht einhalten, kann ein Ordnungsgeld ..." Fact is that in such situations, the official you speak to is often entitled to impose a penalty (up to a prescribed limit) - but doesn't necessarily have to.

But whatever happens, waiting longer won't improve the situation. Go to the office ASAP, dress decently, speak decently, apologise earnestly, listen patiently to any lecture you're given, and you'll probably have to pay a only very small fraction of the maximum - or nothing at all.

Just don't do it again - next time will almost certainly cost you.

Posted

Unless there's another paperwork trail that could inform the date of the move, why would you volunteer a date > 2 weeks in the past, as opposed to one a week ago?

Posted

Readers of this thread may notice that the key question has still not been answered. So a third time:

How and when would such a fine imposed? And, I might add, by whom?

Does anybody have any clue? It seems quite hypothetical to me.

Posted

http://de.wikipedia...ki/Meldepflicht

If you don't register with the Einwohnermeldeamt you are kind of illegal.

Which might be without consequences unless

You need a doctor

The police checks your papers

You get a job

You go to the Ausländeramt

Posted

Readers of this thread may notice that the key question has still not been answered. So a third time:

How and when would such a fine imposed? And, I might add, by whom?

Does anybody have any clue? It seems quite hypothetical to me.

My girlfriend´s son was fined 20 euros at the Einwohnermeldeamt for being, I think , four or five weeks late. He was fined by the woman reregistering him on the spot. The irony: the bloody Einwohnermeldamt itself had MOVED and still had the wrong address on their website so we went to the wrong part of town to reregister him!! :D

Posted

I wonder if the fines are cheaper/more expensive, depending on whether you:

- never anmelded at all

- or didn't update your anmeldung with an ummeldung

Posted

While we're on the subject, what is the advantage, if any, of filing an ABMELDUNG? I will shortly be leaving Germany for a long stretch.

Posted

Hey, I need advice on that unmeldung because I don’t know what I need to do. I anmelded here in my sublet when I moved to Berlin, but I left it few months ago and took another sublet for just 3 months. Most of these three months I have been abroad on vacation or business trips and I had no chance of ummelden even if I wanted to...So now Im back but in two weeks my sublet agreement will end and most probably I will stay with a friend for a month or so because again I will be going on business trips and holidays and honestly I do not need a permanent place to stay...Im even now thinking of just taking weekly sublets when Im here because it will be much cheaper than renting a whole flat...BUT (sorry for such long intro) what should I do with this umeldung? I do have a job in a German company and local insurance etc...but seriously should I do umeldung every week or what? And I will not anmeld at my friends place of course because then they will increase her rent..this bureaucracy is killing me…help?

Posted

where does your mail get sent to?

Posted

Well I dont have any mail.. I mean if my friends send me anything I'd ask them to send it to work or well up to now to those flats I had been renting. But in general I don't have any mail (or if I do it's lost somewhere and it means I dont need it...)

Posted

what about important things like your tax cards?

and your insurance stuff?

Posted

Hi,

I would suggest to register at city hall at the town/village you live at when you move to a different address. You don't have to de-register at the old place.

Technically, and under German law you are suppose to register within 7 days after you move to a new place. It doesn't matter how long you live at each place.

Important! Every time you register, they also change your address in your I.D./Passport. If anything should happen to you due to a car accident or something else, authorities would have no clue how/where to contact friends/relatives.

Some German offices also get notified of your move every time you register new, so that is also important for them to update their paperwork.

Posted

Important! Every time you register, they also change your address in your I.D./Passport.

Not quite - passports don't have your address in them, which is why us foreigners have to run around with the Meldeformular to prove we live where we say we do. Germans have their address noted on their Personalausweis, and that change is noted on the back of the Perso when they do an Ummeldung.

I would also agree that you need to be registered somewhere. You can register c/o a friend (bei XYZ), there is no link between registration and the friend's landlord. You say you don't get any mail, or if you do it's lost somewhere and therefore you don't need it. This could really come back to bite you in the a88, when some important piece of mail or a bill doesn't reach you... just sayin'.

Posted

which is why us foreigners have to run around with the Meldeformular to prove we live where we say we do

Technically, if you're non-EU/EFTA and have an EAT card, you're supposed to bring the Meldeformular to the ABH afterwards so they can change the address on the chip in there (and enter the address change on the Zusatzblatt or, only at some ABHs, add a sticker with a new address over the address field on the card).

However since the EAT does not constitute legal address identification that's worthless either way.

Posted

(sorry i forgot how this quoting worked here)

Technically, and under German law you are suppose to register within 7 days after you move to a new place. It doesn't matter how long you live at each place.

so basically if im taking one week sublets all the time i would have to ummeld every week...great..

I would also agree that you need to be registered somewhere. You can register c/o a friend (bei XYZ), there is no link between registration and the friend's landlord

there is a link because i think they get informed or have to confirm that there is another person registered at their flat which will for sure result in rent increase. also i know that she would have an increase of paments for all that grabage collection or whatever those other utility costs are. Or do you mean just to register my adress as C/O with everyone? this would not solve still the ummeldung problem and then I rather just buy a post box at post.

You say you don't get any mail, or if you do it's lost somewhere and therefore you don't need it. This could really come back to bite you in the a88, when some important piece of mail or a bill doesn't reach you... just sayin'.

thanks it does sound reasonable but currenltly i have no bills here and I was thinking anyway abt a post box at post as I mentioned

Technically, if you're non-EU/EFTA and have an EAT card, you're supposed to bring the Meldeformular to the ABH afterwards so they can change the address on the chip in there

no idea what's that but im EU.

Looks like there is no other way then to rent your nice German apartment, buy a Mercedes, wear Wolfskin jacket and eat at Indian restaurants on weekends :) just kidding. But thanks for help! If anyone still knows a way around, please let me know.