Foolproof recipe for chocolate chip cookies

84 posts in this topic

Posted

Since you have not discussed the baking powder and baking soda issue, what are you using?

I make the recipe all the time, no issues or caring about standard 405 flour (and I never bother to weigh and I short the butter- because I like to). The issue has always been the baking soda and powder, double acting, which I bring in.

And I think everyone should stock up on cheap Ikea vodka to make their own vanilla extract, because I think bourbon vanilla, extract or sugar, tastes terrible.

Posted

I hope this helps someone! The sun is actually shining in Berlin right now, so I managed a photo.

Thanks for posting the recipe, I'll definitely try this out next weekend.

Posted

They look yummy!

(did you say "no calories"? - woopee!)

Posted

I used American baking powder and soda today, but I haven't had problems with the German stuff in cookies. After a lot of experimenting, I figured out that my problem is the flour. I've made this recipe with different flour and German/American baking powder/soda variations and this is the only one that has worked for me.

Posted

They look yummy!

(did you say "no calories"? - woopee!)

Didn't you know Robbie, brown food doesn't contain calories (at least, not in my world) :)

Posted

Didn't you know Robbie, brown food doesn't contain calories (at least, not in my world)

Super!

I`m crap at baking, so I guess I´ll see you at the weekend then Tappy!

Posted

Just talking about breaking up chocolate. If you are going to the trouble to bake, it is worth getting decent chocolate.

I am sure there are some good ones. I decided to make chocolate crispies and I tried with cheapie stuff. Then, when I was buying the paper cases, I saw that Milka was on special offer. I got normal Milka and I got with Daim. They really were good. So now, when I run out, I keep my eyes open for special offers and buy in bulk for the next batches.

Just my little tip of the day. And those cookies biscuits do look yummy.

Posted

Thanks for the nice comments!

You guys are right. It's better to get some good chocolate. I'm an English teacher in Berlin (=poor) and bake every few days, give away a lot of what I bake, never receive anything in return, and so I've just gotten used to buying the cheapest stuff. I'll try it with the good stuff next time.

Posted

Maybe you could tell your students how much you LOVE chocolate, and if you get lucky, they might actually give you some at the end of your courses!

Edit: tell them how much you LOVE Milka chocolate!

Posted

I already do! But what do I get? Boxes and boxes of Merci chocolate.

(Yes, it's better than Hershey's and I'm thankful that I get anything, but... something else please!)

Posted

Thanks for the nice comments!

You guys are right. It's better to get some good chocolate. I'm an English teacher in Berlin (=poor) and bake every few days, give away a lot of what I bake, never receive anything in return, and so I've just gotten used to buying the cheapest stuff. I'll try it with the good stuff next time.

That's a lovely thing to do. I'm a firm believer in what goes around, comes around - you'll get your reward in some way other than Merci, eventually.

Posted

Irenee, how much to have you send me a box of two dozen or so? B)

I'm a stereotypical bachelor. I don't bake what I can purchase! And the cookies in the photo above are in need of buying.

Posted

That's interesting (that you found the issue was with the flour) because there have been several threads here on TT discussing that and agreeing that flour was an issue.

For me, after I used American (double acting) bp and baking soda, I never had a problem. But I really do chill the dough overnight (and never used to) and found that, and decreasing the butter, dealt with the "flatness" issue. I do love the sea salt flakes on top, though, and even my chidren do as well. The salt and sugar are addictive.

Posted

Irenee, how much to have you send me a box of two dozen or so? I'm a stereotypical bachelor. I don't bake what I can purchase! And the cookies in the photo above are in need of buying.

I don't know if you're serious, but if you are, I'll do some calculating. :)

gail123, do all your cookie recipes turn out by decreasing the butter? By about how much do you decrease it? I've tried that in the past, but I guess I wasn't decreasing it enough.

Posted

Could you please tell me where to get the Molasses from? Does that turn normal brown sugar into the soft packed brown sugar most recipes ask for or is it something different?

Posted

You can either use Zuckerrübensirup, available in larger supermarkets or get Melasse from health food stores. Mixed with white sugar it's a good substitute for soft brown sugar because it adds flavour and moisture to your baked goods.