What to do after buying a car

73 posts in this topic

Posted

OK, before anyone starts by telling me to "search TT", my internet connection is desperate, about 30kbps if I am lucky..

I have bought a used car from a dealer, there are NO number plates on the car, I have the log book and the new test cert and emissions..

I see that you need insurance before you register the car, but on the insurance company website they ask for the vehicle reg number to take out the policy and I don't have the reg number..

so what do I do?

Posted

Just leave it blank. This is only relevant in case you're switching insurers. Some websites only need the first 1-3 letters of the plate to determine where the car is (going to be) registered, because that has an influence on the premiums.

Posted

Thanks MrNosey

Posted

Also remember the bullock german rule when you break others car mirror or so. Wait for 30 mins if that person does not show up, call police. I read this case somewhere else on TT. Have fun with your new car!!

Posted

Out of curiosity, what exactly did you buy? (make, model, etc.) (you don't have to answer this question)

Posted

My money's on a Wartburg.

Posted

no MrNosey..

an old 1998 Mitsubishi Colt

Posted

It's just that you seem to have a thing for old East German fixer-uppers.

Posted

OK I have the insurance sorted out, lets see what happens when I go to register the car

Posted

Is it OK to drive to the local car registration office with NO number plates on the car?, there were none on it when the dealer delivered it to me

Posted

You should have acquired the "red plates" from the dealer if any were available. Take a taxi and do not forget your papers & money.

Posted

Is it OK to drive to the local car registration office with NO number plates on the car?, there were none on it when the dealer delivered it to me

No, you can't drive the car, you can't even park it on the street without plates.

Posted

I have been told that you MUST take the car to the reg office, they need to see the car

Posted

No, this is not a general must. Although some cities require this, like Berlin.

Go on the website of your Landratsamt /city, you should find more information there. Or post which Landkreis/city you live in, so someone will do for you.

Posted

Total rubbish - whyever would they need to see the car?

Try talking to people who know what they are talking about.

Posted

In fact, the city of Berlin requires this.

When you enter the Zulassungsstelle here, the person behind the counter decides wether someone will ckeck your car or not.

Has probably to do with all the fake papers and stolen cars around.

Posted

Never heard of presenting your car when registering it - do you look like a dodgy Eastern European? How is this done when you let someone register it for you? I think you've misunderstood something sometime.

Posted

No and no.

They want to see the car, it's condition, serial numbers etc. You can of course have someone else register the car in your behalf.