Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Smoked liver and blood sausage

23 posts in this topic

Posted

Just been out to a harvest festival type thang over at a place called Hausler-Hof, and one place there was selling smoked liver and blood sausage - you wanna eat them as a pair, one of each. They are only available for part of the year, and with a shitload of mashed potato, are a MUST. The sausages can be slow fried, or steeped (left in boiling water off the heat) for a while, then finished in a hot pan. Depends on the thickness, so ask your butcher for cooking times.

It really, really is awesome. Forget your prejudices against blood and liver based food, and just eat them. Trust me, I'm a chef.

Posted

Smoked liver and blood sausage

:o

I‘ll pass.

Posted

Trust me, I'm a chef.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Back under your bridge with no billy goats gruff for supper tonight!

The liver sausage is nice; the blood sausage is disgustilating, as are all blood sausages and "food" products, including Blutwurst and Black Pudding.

Bleah.

woof.

Posted

I don't eat any organs or bodily fluids that are named as such. Don't have any prejudice against them, just that all the ones I've tried: liver, blood sausage, chitterlings, etc... make me want to hurl. The texture is just wrong.

That said, I'll eat raw beef, or seafood sashimi, etc with no problem.

Posted

I'm all about it, but my gf would throw up on me, so where can I get it downtown @ a restaurant when I'm away from the gf?

Posted

Well I know I would be into it. Whats it called and is it generally available from all butchers at this time of year? (Actually tried leberknödl at the rosenheim herbstfest yesterday for the first time which was really nice)

Posted

Forget your prejudices against blood and liver based food, and just eat them. Trust me, I'm a chef.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I remember one time admitting to eating liver to some friends of mine from the swimming club I belonged to, and they reacted like I had admitted to eating roadkill animals that i had found. Properly cooked liver can be very good eating and is very nutritious.

Posted

Any thread started by Don_rina ie either going to make you hungry or make you laugh.

This one did both.

Trust me, I'm a chef.

I had a flash of Steven Seagal with Don's hair in Under Siege.

Thanks for the tip, Don.

Posted

Well, we foddered down on these blood and liver based treats last night - and frankly we should have bought double what we did. So, so, so good. Could have eaten my dinner twice over.

Anyway, I also got myself a different type of blood sausage, which I am now gonna fry up with a shedload of bacon. Nice, and nice.

Posted

Sounds like something I would like too... are there any butchers you can particularly recommend?

Posted

And the actual name in german would be handy too. Have enough trouble communicating with the lady in the butcher just asking what I want, let alone trying to describe it..

Posted

My feeling on liver is this: why would I want to eat the part of an animal that contains all the things the animal itself didn't want? (as the liver filters out al the crap) Sort of like eating the pool filter, you know?

Posted

Stefan Moll on Elisabethplatz is good for this stuff - not sure if he has them in stock yet though. Great butcher all round anyway.

They're called something like gerauchtes leberwurst / blutwurst. Which of course could mean 300 different sausages really, but when they're in season, it should be fairly obvious to the butcher what you want. They're always piled up together, are really fat, and are in a non-edible skin. They're not like bratwurstle, the filling is very soft once cooked.

I'm sure they no doubt have a specific name, but I am not aware of it, sorry.

Posted

the liver filters out al the crap)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Surely thats the kidneys, my you they're nice as well!

I read somewhere that whatever the liver has in it thats good for you, Vitamen B or suchlike, you only need to eat it once a month to get all you need.

Posted

I love the Blut a' Leberwurst but sub sauerkraut for potatoes.

Posted

Could have actually done with a bit of sauerkraut last night as it goes.

Posted

Hmm asked at the butcher but she said "only in winter".. I did find a vacuum packed pair of blutwurst and leberwurst, but I am pretty sure its the more like the leberwurst I usually get that you just scoop out and eat on bread cold like pate. Actually not sure if I am supposed to cook this one or eat it how it is... Oh well, immune system could do with some exercise anyway...

Posted

:huh: definitely not "something" I would go out of my way to buy...or eat...

Posted

So, so, so good. Could have eaten my dinner twice over.

Just to back up this up. For those in Berlin, and especially the Neukölln area, the Fleischerei on Karl-Marx-Platz has an unbelievably good version of this, which has won prizes in France. The guy has been inducted into the Confrérie des Chevaliers du Goûte Boudin (the Knights of the Blood Sausage!), so this is something special. Get the Sauerkraut, too, to accompany. Divine. They're sold all year round here.

Not too often you can say you get world class produce from this particular part of town (if anyone could correct that with any examples, I'd love to hear).

www.blutwurstmanufaktur.com

Posted

Kudos, that is some serious search-before-posting-to-check-for-existing-threads that you did there. Shouldn't there be a Mods' Gold Medal for that?