Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Building the second S-Bahn Stammstrecke

49 posts in this topic

Posted

post-750-1126125296.gif

The construction of the 2nd S-Bahn main route (Stammstrecke) approaches.

The final planning of the 2nd part of the building work on the S-Bahn Stammstrecke is finished. The plans have been split up into 3 parts for clarity's sake : the first beginning at Laim train station including the new S-Bahn stop at Hauptbahnhof (tief / deep) and ending at the Justizpalast (palace of justice / law courts). The 2nd part connects there and goes through Marienplatz to the east part of the banks of the Isar. Part 3 starts from there and goes to Ostbahnhof and then Leuchtenbergring.

The plans for parts 2 and 3 have been forwarded to the government of Oberbayern.

The papers and plans for part 2 were on public display from 18.07 to 18.08 at the Munich Stadtmuseum. At the end of this display period, a 2-week opposition periods begins for those wishing to raise objection against the plans for part 2, until 01.09. Part 3 will be on display from 19.09 to 19.10 and part 1 from 14.11 till 14.12 (provisionally).

After the oppostions have been processed, dates for a debate will be set. The objections will be discussed during this debate and DB ProjektBau will make an official comment. The discussion for parts 1 and 3 will take place in 2006.

(Summarised from the S-Bahn Takt Magazine, issue Sept/Oct 2005).

Posted

So it doesn't look the 2nd tunnel is going to be finished before something like 2015.

Just checked with some sites, and the S-Bahn "Ringschluss" project to link Erding

to the Airport/Freising will be in planning until 2009/2010

I just love how fast germans build things... <_<

Posted

Build slowly but display quickly:

on public display from 18.07 to 18.08

What, just for one minute? Hitch-Hiker's Guide comes to mind...

Posted

That would be 1 month long :P

Tbh when I read the article above, I didn't really understand what they're building, so I hope my post wasn't confusing. I'm sure more will be printed soon.

Posted

I just love how fast germans build things... 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They are amazing, aren't they? :P

Posted

Not that England is any better - Wembley Stadium anyone?

Not to mention the millenium bridge which was built on time but after opening (2000) was found to be structurally unsound and had to be closed until January 2002.

Or the Diana memorial fountain in Hyde park which opened in July 2004 which stopeed working in the first week due to a blocked pump and in it's second week due to fallen leaves. And I paticularly like Mohammed Al Fayeds description of it.

Mohamed al Fayed, whose son Dodi died with Diana in her Paris car crash in 1997, said the memorial resembled "a sewage works."

Of course it was also shut for nearly 6 months due to various safety concerns.

Posted

I just love how fast germans build things... 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah like London's "CrossRail" which the British have been discussing to and from for 20 years... :rolleyes:

Posted

Four years later and, needless to say, little progress has been made on this beyond cost projections being rapidly increased. The debate has focussed on whether the costs of the second tunnel (currently €1.9bn) can be justified compared to the alternative of upgrading the Südring, the track currently used by regional and intercity trains travelling from Hauptbahnhof and Ostbahnhof, at a cost of around one-quarter. The MVV will release a study in September showing that the second S-Bahn tunnel would justify the cost, but residents on the eastern bank of the Isar have already started their protests against the project because of the disruption caused by (at that point) two tunnels, while concerns have also been raised about the stability of the ground beneath the Frauenkirche, directly under which the tunnel would pass.

The engineering firm Vieregg-Rössler – long-term proponents of the Südring scheme – have since formalised the idea of a northern tunnel as a complement to the Südring project. A tunnel would run from Hauptbahnhof via the Pinakotheken to Münchner Freiheit, and from there on to Garching before potentially joining the S1 line at Eching. They claim this would solve no less than seven transport problems in one go, including a fast link to the airport (17 minutes), a fast connection to the Allianz Arena, relieving one of Germany's most congested lines – the Freising-Munich stretch – allowing a 10-minute service on the S1 as well, opening up the airport to long-distance ICE services as in Frankfurt, and relieving the U3/U6 line.

Projected costs are €2.4 billion. The general consensus is that Munich will only be financially able to undertake one major infrastructural improvement in the next thirty years; if it's the second Stammstrecke tunnel, then that still leaves open a lot of other problems. The relatively small scale of the Südring project, however, would allow another major project to be built, i.e. the North Tunnel.

Maps and plans of the Nordtunnel are available in the press release (PDF)

Posted

So is this crowd mostly just NIMBYs or do they actually have a point? I can see some borderline scare tactics, which is uncool ("wollen Sie wissen, ob unter Ihrem Haus gegraben wird?"), but does anyone think they actually have a legitimate complaint? At street level, trams are of course way louder than the S-Bahn as they go through the Stammstrecke.

Posted

A bunch of (probably car-driving) Nimbys. They are campaigning against a below-ground solution in favour of an above-ground solution that will cause a lot more noise for a lot more people – but not for them.

I can understand the opposition to the tunnel, but this is for completely the wrong reason. They have only their own interests at heart, not those of the city as a whole. I have to put up with this every day in Freising with the Nimby campaign against the third runway. My favourite is a sign that someone put outside their house on a busy main road that reads "We've had enough of the noise and dirt" – but they're talking about the airport (which we neither see, smell nor hear in Freising), not the big road outside their house.

Posted

@STB: that's kind of what I figured, but the reasoning I had the patience to find on that awful (design-wise) website was the argument that the Südring was way cheaper.

@thefirelane

post-25149-12513582090026.gif

Posted

Now they just need the money from the Federal Govt.

Posted

They seem to be over-compensating for the lack of transport connections to the airport. The Express S-Bahn is great and long overdue. However, everything else they're planning seems completely useless to me: The Neufahn Curve will allow trains from Passau/Regensburg/Landshut to go to the airport, the Pasing Curve will allow trains from Ulm/Augsburg to go to the airport, and the new stretch from Mühldorf will allow trains from Salzburg to go to the airport. That sounds great, except that these trains would terminate at the airport – there's nowhere else for them to go. But 99% of the passengers on trains from the Regensburg, Salzburg and Augsburg directions want to go to Munich, not Munich Airport. And the handful who do want to go to the airport will benefit from the Express S-Bahn. So it seems like they've got a bit over-excited and haven't really stopped to think what services passengers actually need.

After so many years truncated from the public-transport network, I suppose one should be grateful that Munich Airport is finally being hooked up. The problem is, the muppets who screwed up the public-transport infrastructure last time are the ones now in charge of sorting out the mess. Once again, it smacks of car drivers sat in an office trying to second-guess what passengers out in the real world need.

Still, at least we got the Express S-Bahn, the one we were told wasn't possible when being lectured that there was "No Plan B to the Transrapid".

Posted

new stretch from Mühldorf will allow trains from Salzburg to go to the airport. That sounds great, except that these trains would terminate at the airport

No, They wouldn't.. The Erding Ringschluss, of which the new Mühldorf line is a part of will enter the Airport from the East, pass

under it, then head towards Munich in the south and to cities in the north.

The Erding Ringschluss, will see the S2 extended from Erding to the Airport, and back down the current S1/S8 lines to Munich.

There will also be an express RB and Sbahn line running from Munich via Ostbahnhof, Markt Schwaben to the Airport Via Erding.

Basically, the Airport will be taking trains from both the east and the west, and will no longer be Terminating station.

The rest of your comments seem to be aimed at/about Munich, however the planners are looking to a broader plan to improve

the overall transport network in southern Bavaria. So should you.. ;) (Believe it or not there are more people living outside Munich, then in)

Posted

Well the S1 line is already at maximum capacity, so I'm still unclear how they plan to run more train along there. I'm well aware that the population of Munich is very small compared to the reach of Munich Airport, but using Munich Hbp as a hub still seems to make more sense to me than diverting trains 30 miles in the wrong direction for the benefit of a few airport users and the three people a day who need to travel between Augsburg and Salzburg. There already are through services, for example using the Südring between Hbf and O-Bf, or the Landshut-Mühldorf-Freilassing line (which must be one of the least used in Bavaria).

Posted

or the Landshut-Mühldorf-Freilassing line (which must be one of the least used in Bavaria).

Actually, it's not.. That line is single track all the way from Markt Schwaben to Mühldorf and possible further.

Not only is the line shared by the RB's, it's also used as a main and alternative route for goods trains.

This line is also part of the Erdinger Ring, expansion project.. It will be updated to dual track, while the current

2 tracks from Ost bahnhot to Markt Schwaben will go up to 4 tracks, with Markt Schwaben to the airport

(Via Erding) also being upgraded to dual track.