Kindle vs NOOK vs iPad

75 posts in this topic

Posted

I want to buy a reading tablet and news outlet. What to get?? can anyone tell me what to get???should I but in Germany or in US????

Posted

A quick Google search brought up this website... www.tablets.com and you can even check out www.cnet.com for reviews as well.

Posted

I think it comes down to what you actually want to use it for and how much you're willing to pay. If you just want a reader at the lowest cost, Kindle is the way to go. Kindle 3G is $189 in the US; 189 euro from Amazon.de. So if you're in or going to be in the States get it here. In addition to the best sellers and other current books, there is tons of free and fairly cheap content. Amazon does say content availability varies for non-US customers, which I think mostly applies to some periodicals. I've used my US Kindle in Mexico to buy and download books no problem.

Nook has the Color version for $60 more but it seems to be wifi only and the BnN website doesn't say anything about international access which Amazon is explicit about. And if you want to pay 3 - 4 times as much for a full blown computer with all the bells and whistles, get an iPad.

Posted

I've got a kindle and i think it is great, but it is only for reading. If you want to look at websites or google maps or anything above reading then go for an ipad. If you're going to be reading a lot of PDF's or academic papers get the kindle DX which has a bigger screen. You can subscribe to various newspapers via the amazon kindle store. Some stuff you can't get unless your address is in the US, so I would probably get and register it there if you can.

Posted

I sold my Nook before I moved to Germany because I wouldn't be able to purchase books with it here. Get a Kindle 3G to an address in the U.S. It's ideal if you can use an American credit card number so that you won't be stuck with Amazon.de. I spent a lot of time debating this issue and am very happy with my Kindle. The iPad is so big, shiny, and bulky...I think it would be a horrible reading device.

Posted

I agree with dizzypete. I bought a Kindle DX about three months ago to read academic pdfs in it. I've also used it to read a couple of ebooks (downloaded from Amazon) and various newspapers (with the help of a very nice app called Calibre). So far, my experience with it has been excellent, but then, I don't use it for anything other than reading stuff (I don't feel the need to check facebook every 5 minutes). If you want your device to do something else, then go buy an iPad or something like it. Apart from this, there are various things that I enjoy about the Kindle.

* the battery lasts forever. I only need to recharge it every other week or so.

* no problem reading in bright sunlight.

* you can access it without a dedicated application in your computer, just with a graphical file manager or with the command line, if that's your thing.

* unlike all the hipsters with iPads, my Kindle doesn't make me look like a tool :D

There are also things I wish were better.

* depending on the day, the speed of the search function ranges from slow to mindblowingly slow. If you are like me and have a library north of 1500 files, this will a big annoyance.

* in theory, you can create folders to organize your files; in practice, this is not so easy to do.

Note also that you *cannot* order a Kindle from amazon.de ---you are redirected to the amazon.com (USA) site, from which you can place an international order. This means that you will have to pay a substantial import tax. Buying one in the US an then bringing it over will not help you, unless you wish to lie to the airport people and not declare it.

Posted

I agree with dizzypete. I bought a Kindle DX about three months ago to read academic pdfs in it. I've also used it to read a couple of ebooks (downloaded from Amazon) and various newspapers (with the help of a very nice app called Calibre). So far, my experience with it has been excellent, but then, I don't use it for anything other than reading stuff (I don't feel the need to check facebook every 5 minutes). If you want your device to do something else, then go buy an iPad or something like it. Apart from this, there are various things that I enjoy about the Kindle.

* the battery lasts forever. I only need to recharge it every other week or so.

* no problem reading in bright sunlight.

* you can access it without a dedicated application in your computer, just with a graphical file manager or with the command line, if that's your thing.

* unlike all the hipsters with iPads, my Kindle doesn't make me look like a tool :D

There are also things I wish were better.

* depending on the day, the speed of the search function ranges from slow to mindblowingly slow. If you are like me and have a library north of 1500 files, this will a big annoyance.

* in theory, you can create folders to organize your files; in practice, this is not so easy to do.

Note also that you *cannot* order a Kindle from amazon.de ---you are redirected to the amazon.com (USA) site, from which you can place an international order. This means that you will have to pay a substantial import tax. Buying one in the US an then bringing it over will not help you, unless you wish to lie to the airport people and not declare it.

Posted

Buying one in the US an then bringing it over will not help you, unless you wish to lie to the airport people and not declare it.

Since the customs people at the airport only ask you to claim goods in excess of 500 euro in value, and a Kindle costs less than $200, there's no need to lie OR declare it.

Buy the Kindle the next time you're in the US. Enjoy your flight back to Germany with all your reading material on one device.

By the way, there are rumors that the iPad will be coming out very soon (this fall) with a version that has a much better display. If you return to the US once that's available, you might want to reconsider which device to get. If iPad is easier on readers' eyes than it is now, it will suddenly be a very good option for the e-reading public. But it will still cost more than twice what a Kindle costs (though at less than 500 euro, it still won't be necessary to claim it at airport customs.)

Posted

I bought an iPad last year and love it, except for reading. So I went ahead and bought a Kindle from Amazon.de as I wanted to use the gift certificates I had gotten for my birthday. There was no import tax let alone a "substantial import tax".

The Kindle arrived in three days. It's great, lightweight, has easily readable text and the battery lasts a long time. There are a lot more books to choose from than in Apple's iBook store and a ton of free books, both in German and in English.

I ordered the optional power adaptor but it will also charge from being connected to my computer. It's considered an "international version" and has a U.S. English keyboard. As a matter of fact, I think it's exactly the same one you'd buy in the states.

If you're looking for something that you'll solely use for reading, I'd suggest getting the Kindle.

Posted

If my only choices were those 3 tablets, I'd go for the iPad. However be warned, that the next ipad version (ipad HD)

is expected to be released around Sept. There are also other tablets you should look at. The nook and Kindle are only

plain old, cheap ebook readers with many limits and DRM restrictions. Have a look at the Motorola Xoom and the Asus Transformer.

Those are the tablets you need if you want to do anything more than basic ebook reading.

Posted

The nook and Kindle are only plain old,

the last iteration of the nook was released less than a month ago! and the last kindle is not much older.

cheap ebook readers with many limits

you make it look like a one sided thing. e-ink tablets have readability, portability, battery life (they use power only to turn the page), weight and cost advantages over LCD tablets.

and DRM restrictions.

you can read non-DRM stuff on all devices surely, so it's not a disadvantage to have DRM support as well...

Posted

Since you specifically mentioned you would be using it to read and keep up on the news, I think a Kindle would be the clear choice and you should buy it in the US. If you want to do more, then look at a tablet rather than an e-reader. For reading, the iPad would be my last choice of the three.

Posted

I just got a Kindle from the US as a present, so I'm in basically the same boat. Here's what I've been able to discover:

1. If you use your Kindle in another country, amazon will ask you for proof that you live in the US (fax the ID page of your passport or drivers license to a certain number to do so). I haven't done this yet and everything still works so far.

2. It will cost extra to download certain content via 3G overseas (not books you've purchased, though). If you use Wifi there aren't any fees.

3. You can still receive newspaper subscriptions and what have you overseas.

4. By and large, it appears to be the same content in the Kindle Stores on amazon.com and amazon.de. That may change at some point.

5. It's apparently possible to change the country you're registered as, so if at some point there are different offers in the US and in Germany you can change.

In general I think it's a great device. No, it can't do as much as an iPad or a nook, and you're limited to black and white text. But the Kindle does what it does extremely well, is easy to read in direct sunlight, has a great battery life, and there's already a good amount of 3rd party programs out there, to convert files to .MOBI format, create alternative dictionaries, etc. Amazon has the largest ebook store available, and the Kindle also supports pdf and plain text, and through amazon's conversion service (free if you download the files by wifi, fees if you do it via 3G), it also supports HTML, DOC, etc.

So, to conclude: if you want an all-purpose device for which reading books is one feature of many, get a nook or iPad. If you just want something to read books, find paper too cumbersome and don't like reading off a computer screen, the Kindle blows its competitors away.

Posted

The nook and Kindle are onlyplain old, cheap ebook readers with many limits and DRM restrictions.

All ebook readers use DRM. All have a selection of DRM and non-DRM titles. DRM should not be one of the factors used in deciding which platform to go for.

Posted

If you use your Kindle in another country, amazon will ask you for proof that you live in the US (fax the ID page of your passport or drivers license to a certain number to do so). I haven't done this yet and everything still works so far.

If you already have a U.S. Amazon.com account, you can link your Kindle to it during setup and use it to purchase and sync ebooks.

Posted

I sold my Nook before I moved to Germany because I wouldn't be able to purchase books with it here.

Are you sure?

Posted

I'm thinking about updating my old reader. Do you still have to get all of your books from amazon with a Kindle? I never liked that idea.

There are a lot more ebook stores out there now with huge selections and mostly cheaper than amazon. I can shop anywhere with mine.

Posted

Alot of wrong info on here. I bought a Kindle off Amazon (US) 2 months back and returned it to them.

1. You do pay customs tax, but you pay this in advance, so no need to go to the zollamt

2. You can download books from amazon and do not have to pay any extra fees.

3. All other websites are unavailable through their 3G/Whispernet. Though the wi-fi works fine.

If you can deal with that I would suggest buying one, if not don't bother.

Hope that helps

Posted

1) You don't if you bring it back yourself

2) You used to but now dont have to

3) Ive accessed wikipedia and done a google text search with the built in browser but it does suck.

Posted

americana asked if she should buy it off amazon. not bring it herself

2) You used to but now dont have to

you clearly bought yours before amazon starting selling the kindle off amazon germany. you do have to

3) Ive accessed wikipedia and done a google text search with the built in browser but it does suck

see above. as soon as it went on the amazon germany site they changed how their browser operates.

Posted

Kindle is a one trick pony. IPad, or whatever tablet strikes yer fancy will be more FAR more useful and versatile. Was amused by the comment "Using yer iPad in public will make you look like a tooll". Using yer Kindle, or whatever, will make you look less like a "tool" how, Idiot? At the tender age of 53, I could give a rat's posterior what you think of me while I'm enjoying my always connected IPad and it's versatility. Reading "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" (great read!) on Kindle App for for IPad/iPhone. Yep, got everything a Kindle has and a whole lot more. Not an Apple Fanboy, and when it's time to replace it, it might too bad for Steve Jobs. Just my two cents. Have a nice day,

Posted

And Americana, Kindle and the other readers I have don't care what country I'm in. The likelihood that German Customs Official will hassle you about where you bought yer tablet are pretty slim...

Posted

2. You can download books from amazon and do not have to pay any extra fees.

What do you mean by "extra fees"? I can by ebooks from many sellers without any extra fees. There's no postage for one thing.

Are you saying that, with a Kindle, one can purchase books from other sellers but must pay a fee?

Posted

americana asked if she should buy it off amazon. not bring it herself

I want to buy a reading tablet and news outlet. What to get?? can anyone tell me what to get???should I but in Germany or in US????

I'm assuming that "but" in the last question should be "buy."