Au Pairs in Berlin

121 posts in this topic

Posted

This is a meet up for Au Pairs in Berlin to form long lasting friendships with other Au Pairs.

Spend some serious girl time with other's in similar situations. Activities and dates may vary week to week, discussion and voting is encouraged to decide the next meet up. Some activities to expect - spa treatment's, shopping, bike rides, site seeing adventures, children's meet up, dance classes and other disgustingly girly activities!

Please introduce yourself here and make yourself known. All girls are very friendly and understand what its like to approach a new group of people on your own as we have all been there ourselves!

A fun read is a blog from one of our Au Pairs in Berlin about her experiences as an Au Pair so far.

How to Tame Twins www.tametwins.blogspot.com

Hope to see you soon!

post-142029-13059250530343.jpg

Posted

hi!

i am moving to Berlin in August to also work as an au pair for a year! Really excited but nervous as i have never been to Berlin before (i lived near Munich for 6 months last year)

I'm really looking to improve my German, do some travelling and meet new people! Would be great to meet up with some other au pair girls, so scared i'm going to get lost in such a big city!

Posted

I have been here so far for 1 month as an Au Pair, don't worry I COMPLETELY understand. You will love Berlin, the people here are awesome. I have been lost a few times but I come from Australia so big cities are defiantly BIG cities to me, however people have always been very friendly and helped me find my way back. Stick with us and we will help you with any problems you have OK. Were in Berlin will you be staying?

Looking forward to meeting you! All the best.

Posted

Hi!

I will be staying in a flat in Berlin Pankow that the fmaily are providing me with (they live about 10 minutes away by bike)

How are you finding the experience so far? i read a bit of your blog, sounds tough with twin boys! I will just be looking after a 10 year old boy so hopefully will find it ok! Ive just finished my degree at university so looking forward to a year away from studying and new experiences, what kind of things do you get up to at weekends and when you have time off? Do you speak good German?

Abi xx

Posted

omg, you lucky duck! you're own apartment? sweet! My German is not very good. I didn't speak a word when I came over, I have been going to language school most days and slowly starting to pick it up. For the first month I didn't do anything because I didn't know anyone. Eventually I met another Au Pair online. So far i've been enjoying the night life in Berlin, bike riding, and other local events that I go to with my family. Really hoping to make a few more Au Pair friends through this and start doing regular girly stuff too.

Posted

i hate to break your "heteronormative" bubbles, but not all Au Pairs are female. i am a straight man with years of childcare and tutoring experience who currently looks after a 10 month old girl and two year old boy in the Prenzlauerberg/Mitte area of Berlin, where i live with the family. i sympathize with the difficulties of making new friends in Berlin, of navigating a major metropolitan area when you are not from one; i myself spent my third year of college in Munich, and have been refreshing my language skills at the Volkshochschule while trying to lose my Bayerisch accent which the Brandenburgers find distasteful. i also keep a blog about living in Berlin but try to limit stories about the family to a few cute anecdotes to respect their privacy: http://kurtinberlin.blogspot.com/

while i don't necessarily want to elbow my way into a day at the spa or nail salon, it would be nice to talk shop with other people in the child care field from time-to-time. so, if you were interested in throwing some activities into the mix that were more gender neutral, i would be interested in attending. if your aim is really just to create a group of girlfriends to to do "girly stuff" with, then by all means have fun.

Posted

Of coarse not all activities will be freakishly girly, even girls would like to do things other then get their nails done.

I too have worked in the childcare field for years and have worked with many straight male child care workers. However is it not fair to assume that being an Au Pair is a female dominated field? An au pair day at the spa to relax and share stories is something that I know I personally would enjoy very much. I would say that you would not enjoy getting facials and massages with a group of girls but lets not stereotype shall we ;)

Having said that, the industry being female dominated makes me very interested in hearing your story and what its like for you. I am sure many others would love to hear too. Please keep an eye out for any activities that may interest you. I am looking into activities such as bike riding, drinks, coffee, gigs, and au pair meet ups with the kids. You are also more then welcome to come to pampering sessions, it would be heaps of fun to have a guy there.

Posted

Am thinking about just a general greet and meet to start. Does any one know any good cafe's in Berlin for maybe a Sunday?

Posted

well, my pores have been driving me crazy lately, i mean...uh...sports...beer...anyway, most people are surprised to hear that i am an Au Pair. if my initial post smacked of any bitterness, it was simply because i was excited to log on to Toytown and see a thread about Au Pairs, and then read that I was not necessarily the demographic that was originally (and understandably) being appealed to. even in the 21st century, that is supposedly free of gender-norms (at least among the younger generations of liberal western societies), many people don't understand why a young man would want to be an Au Pair, to which i tend to respond simplistically that it is merely practice for being a dad myself one day and an opportunity to practice my German.

depending upon how expensive pampering is, i might be willing to put my money where my mouth his on the gender-norms thing, i do like a good massage. however, i agree that starting with some coffee on a Sunday would be best. for the first meeting, do you have in mind to have the kids involved (i.e. Kindercafe) or just an initial meet-and-greet for us grownups?

Posted

I think an initial meet and greet for us "grown ups" would be the best. Don't worry about offending anyone, you have just become our official gender norms challenge... be afraid, be very afraid! lol. How does next Sunday sound? Any ideas?

Posted

i've only been to a few cafes in the Schönhauser Alle/Kastanien Allee area where i live, don't know if that is convenient for anyone else. since most places serve beer as well i'm pretty flexible...i'll have to mull it over for an actual suggestion outside of rambling speculation.

Posted

Spend some serious girl time with other's in similar situations.

Are the male Au Pairs allowed to participate? Didn't know all Au Pairs were chicks.

Posted

NoBullJim we have already had this conversation. Male Au Pairs are more then welcome.. they just need to wear a long blonde wig lol ;)

Posted

Male Au Pairs are more then welcome

I think female Au Pairs are more.

Posted (edited)

To avoid further upset to our increasingly sensitive male population I will officially be changing the topic to be more gender neutral before an angry mob of outspoken men start burning their jockstraps. This can't be good for the Ozone layer. :P

Seriously though, very excited to have some men on board! :lol:

UPDATE: I am so sorry, I just tried to edit the topic but I am unable, can anyone help me?

Posted

many people don't understand why a young man would want to be an Au Pair, to which i tend to respond simplistically that it is merely practice for being a dad myself one day

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww Kurt that just earned you a kiss on the cheek next time I see you! cuuuuuuuuute. ladies don't miss out on this catch! ;)

Posted

Hi all, I used to be a 'live-out Au Pair,' but I have switched that contract to an hourly thing as it suits me better. But I would still be up to meet others. I've been in Berlin for about a year, so I might know some places to meet up. Would people prefer a bar or cafe situation for the first meet? and then we could take it from there :)

Posted

Hey thanks Beth, I would like to put my hand up for Sunday afternoon cafe. I would like to encourage everyone else to vote. Bar or Cafe?

Posted

Hi guys, just got off the phone with the other Au Pairs and we have decided to hold the first meeting in Mauer Park in Berlin. 4pm Sunday 29th of May for afternoon tea. bring a blanket and a plate of food or bottle of wine/soft drink/beer/cordial whatever your tipple may be. Weather looks like it should be fine and this will also save a few Euro's... which I don't know about you but mine just keep disappearing.

Should be a really cool, relaxed afternoon. Very excited. If you are feeling unsure or nervous about attending your first meet up please do not hesitate to message me privately and I will give you my number so you can find us easily.

If anyone has any further questions, comments or suggestions to add to this please do so.

Take care, look forward to seeing you... oh and boys! sorry if my original topic post offended you or doesn't make you feel included, I had no idea and am very impressed that there are male Au Pairs, PLEASE JOIN US! promise not to paint your nails anything too girly.

Posted

first, dessa, no one will be able to fill the hole you left in my heart when i found out you already had a man.

second, kakakopf, mauer park sounds great, but i hope everyone realizes that they usually have karaoke there on sundays which attracts a very large crowd (thousands from what i understand) and so it may be hard to find the group, any specific landmarks/banners/balloons that i and my flaming jock strap should look for?

third, mrslipps, you can also try Almondbury Au Pair Agency, I registered and was quickly found by my host family. they were knowledgeable and helpful with the finer points of the process. happy hunting!

Posted

Thanks derkuuurt - Keep your eyes peeled for some hand made and colourful signs made from the children's last left over art project. The jock strap bon fire will not only keep us warm but will make great smoke signals in a busy crowed. Also as mentioned earlier, If still concerned about finding us I am happy to give out my mobile number to anyone who inbox's me.

Posted

Can I get a quick head count for those attending Sunday's afternoon meet up?

Posted

it is probably redundant but i will be there.

Posted

Hey guys! is anyone interested in having another meet up on Sunday?