Problems with satellite TV reception recently

69 posts in this topic

Posted

In the last week reception has been extremely poor and distorted - even when the weather seems to be fine with a little cloud cover.

Anyone else having these problems?

Posted

Yeah, there does seem to be a disturbance in the force lately.

Posted

The recent rain and subsequently following, the excessive air humidity, represent the most substantial source of satellite signal blockage and intereference. The excessive rain may also have caused moisture penetration to cables and/or exposed connections which will really mess up reception too. If your reception is consistently bad on marginal channels (e.g. BBC/ITV on a 90cm dish or smaller) then you should also check re-alignment as it is absolutely critical for weaker channels on these antenna. The moist conditions can also cause ground heave, or expansion of wooden structures (e.g. if your dish is mounted to a balcony framework), which although might only be fractions of a milimetre at ground level, can be a couple of milimetres 10-15 metres at the top of a building or on a roof. Even larger dishes exhibit this problem, as although providing a better overall signal when correctly aligned their focal precision is less tolerant so drop-off is more pronounced for even marginal movement.

YL6

Posted

I'm seeing only one bad channel (out of the 20 or so I scanned through to see if they were OK) today and that's BBC1 (101). Anyone else seeing that? It's as if they moved it to a weak transponder or something. Pictures is blocking and breaking up and temporarily going to the blue-screen saying that the channel has a problem.

Posted

No way, we have perfect reception

Posted

Good by me too, maybe you are living under a cloud!

Posted

Turns out it depends on which BBC1 region you're set to on your Sky account. I've got BBC1 NE (north east) and that's on the transponder that's having problems.

On that transponder (10818V/TP48) is BBC1 (West England, South East, South England, South West, North East and Cumbria, Oxford).

Transponder info: http://www.lyngsat.com/28east.html

Posted

It also makes a difference were you are..

Astra2D is 15% stronger in the UK than Astra2A

BBC etc is perfect on a 60cm dish in Stutgart and FFM.. 8o cm in FFB, 90cm in Munich 1m In Erding 1.25m in Salzburg...

But as you say, the regions of BBC and ITV are variable.

Was your dish professionally installed?

G

Posted

I've been having problems with most UK (free to view) channels for some time now, apart from BBC1, regardless of regional area. BBC2 is particularly bad (though sometimes BBC2 Scotland is better), very often CBBC and CBBeebies, and occasionally the ITV channels.

Grinner, Jeremy recommended I get in touch with you about this - I guess your answer then is just to upgrade from a 90cm dish to a 100+ dish out in Holzkirchen? I wasn't quite sure because up until a few months ago, the reception was only bad when the weather was bad, now it seems to be consistently poor despite good weather!

Posted

Arggghhhhhhh get lost winds !!!

Bloody satellite dish getting battered to hell and my TV picture has now gone into a series of stop start sequences on BBC1.

Don't care about watching a crappy reality Police TV show but the 2nd part of this week's Judge John Deed drama starts in 3 minutes.

OK, ok i give up, i'll accept snow in Munich if the sodding winds stop. There, i've said it.

Posted

you lucky it's only the winds killing your sky My digi box died on it's arse last week I am going insane I am missing Celeb Big Brother, and 24 starts this week or next week.

A new digi box is in the post :-)

Posted

Wetter.de has issued a weather warning for Munich of 100km/h winds and they ain't kidding !

Posted

Are others with dual Astra/Eutel satellite missing British channels? Just about to sit down to watch "Gardeners' World", I was shocked to find all Brit channels missing today. Is it just reception in the Hallertau or a Germany wide thing?

Posted

You need to be more specific..

Which "British" chanel is missing?

Which astra satellite and which Eutelsat?

SP

Posted

All my British channels (BBC, ITV etc.) are missing! I believe they were on Astra 2D. We still get every single other channel undert he sun though, which made me think it was just a British TV problem.

Posted

all working normally here

Posted

Are others with dual Astra/Eutel satellite

Assuming you meand Astra2/Eutel then this is not a common configuration because of the 15degree satellite separation and therefor VERY sensitive to any dish movement which means you'll loose the weaker BBC/ITV channels. Or your switch between the different satellite signals has died.

Posted

Well, I am losing my EPG and ITV2+1 and even the lightest amount of rain is disturbing my signal. Need to get Geoff back out here to readjust I guess. It is either that or my receivers are slowly dying one by one.

Posted

ITV 1 is really dodgy today, keeps flickering & freezing up, however ITV Grenada seems to be working just fine, still puzzles me that!