How do I cancel Sky?

32 posts in this topic

Posted

I signed up for Sky in Germany in 2009. I tried to cancel it today on the telephone. The customer service woman was adamant that I can only cancel after my current automatically-renewed yearly contract expires at the end of December 2011, or by sending proof that I'm living in another country - examples of which were a rental contract or a employment contract.

This means I have to pay for another seven months of this stuff.

Are they legally within their right to assert this? Is there another approach to make them accept my desire to terminate the contract?

Posted

Not only that, but you haven't actually canceled anything until you've sent them a letter by registered post at least 3 months in advance to the end of the period. Good that you want to cancel now and not october 1st. ;)

Posted

Yes. No.

Posted

Plenty of subscriptions in Germany work in this way (automatic extension after first 2 years for another 12 months unless you cancel). Read the small print. You can send in your cancellation letter/fax now and they should reply confirming your subscription will end 31/12/2011.

Posted

it's like this for most german contracts..

Posted

Here's a related thread on magazine subscriptions. Or if you find it tl;dr, you can summarize it as "sorry, you're stuffed".

If it's any consolation, it applies to everyone in this country who has ever tried to get out of a subscription for anything.

Said the guy who is stuck paying TeleColumbus until the end of the year, although I want to sign up for Entertain

Posted

Actually, Sky are better than some in that they will allow special early cancellation if you leave the country. They don't have to do that and some contracts don't have this option.

An Abmeldung saying you are leaving the country should be enough

Posted

Yes, I could also get out of my cable contract if I left the country (or moved somewhere where they couldn't provide service). That's pretty much the law. But it seems the OP is staying put and just wants to cancel. Ergo, he's stuffed.

Posted

I am not going to suggest solutions but I think I have given him enough of a clue how to handle this

Posted

OP here: I do indeed plan to leave the country, but the slow way, visiting other places. It will be a long time until I have proof such as a rental agreement. And as I work independently (I'm an independent software developer and I sell over the Internet) I'll never have a employment contract to show.

Posted

If you deregister your residence (and specify your future residence as an address abroad, which no one will likely ever follow up on), you can send them the Abmeldung and that should be sufficient grounds for cancelling your contract. But as long as you remain registered at your current address in Germany, you don't have that option.

Posted

by sending proof that I'm living in another country - examples of which were a rental contract or a employment contract.

Both of which can be easily faked. So whats the problem now?

Posted

OP here: I do indeed plan to leave the country, but the slow way, visiting other places. It will be a long time until I have proof such as a rental agreement. And as I work independently (I'm an independent software developer and I sell over the Internet) I'll never have a employment contract to show.

if you are moving within europe and are likely to be allowed to put up a satellite dish then maybe just keep the contract.

The cost for premiership and champions league coverage is buttons compared to the UK/ IRL sky packages plus you get the premiership games shown on ESPN and 3pm games not shown AT ALL on UK/ IRL Tv.

OR...

If you have no interest in it yourself,

People in IRL/ UK are crying out for german sky cards as they are cheaper for premiership than their Sky and offer 3pm games not available except abroad.

You should have no problems finding someone there to take it off your hands.

Posted

Both of which can be easily faked. So whats the problem now?

You are suggesting him to fake documents in order to get out of a TV contract?

Posted

Could you not ask on here if someone is willing to take over the contract?

Posted

You are suggesting him to fake documents in order to get out of a TV contract?

Of course he is. DK would much prefer the excitement of risking up to 5 years in prison (§269 StGB) than having to pay off a boring TV subscription.

Posted

You could try phoning German Sky and saying "How can I continue paying my subscription after I move back to my home country next week?". If German Sky are anything like their UK counterparts, they'll turn off your card at the merest mention of using their service outside the contract area.

Posted

They'll turn probably off your card, but they won't stop taking payments.

Posted

I recently had confirmed that Sky will terminate my contract end April, but I move out of my flat in December. Since I'm moving into a möbliert flat that already includes TV, WiFi etc. in another city in Germany, I won't be taking out Sky. Anyone had any similar experience with this?

Posted

So what is your question? If you can get an earlier cancellation because you are moving into a furnished flat?

I don`t think so.

Posted

Yes that was my question. If you prove with for example an "Ummeldebescheinigung" that you no longer live there.

Unitymedia will terminate even earlier with a "Ummeldebescheinigung".

Posted

Unitymedia may do so because they don`t cover whole Germany. Sky on the other hand does and they won`t accept your "Ummeldebescheinigung" as reason for an earlier cancellation.

Posted

You can get out of the contract only if Sky can't provide the service in your new place. You might try getting a letter from your landlord saying that they do not allow other providers than the one they already provide and that they won't give access to the wiring boxes.

Posted

Not really weasel out of the contract. If there's already Sky in my new flat (don't think there is) then there's no point in having my other contract. If there isn't and I can use it in the new place, then why not use it.

Posted

Tip of the day: If you have a Sky contract and they gave you the receiving equipment then Sky will eventually ask you for their equipment to be sent back to them.So do not sell it, as you do not own it.