Package didn't arrive, no card left

73 posts in this topic

Posted

A vent as much as anything else, although it would be good to know what best to do when we visit Deutsche Post tomorrow if they try and fob us off with some paper-filling shite in the case that it's not simply waiting for us to collect, i.e., will Deutsche Post want to resolve this quickly/efficiently, or am I likely to have to resign having to do a charge-back from Mastercard?

Just wanted to clue up a little bit if you have any helpful advice of how to deal with Deutsche Post in the meantime to get what I want (full refund in the case that the package is mysteriously lost) then I'm all ears.

Ordered something from UK, it dispatched via normal post Royal Mail on the 11th April, hadn't arrived today (now over 2 weeks) so I emailed the company, they emailed back saying that Royal Mail reports

A delivery was attempted for your item with reference RJXXXXXXXXXGB in GERMANY before 07:22 on 13/04/11.

A card may have been left, depending on the country's postal service.

If undelivered, it will be returned to the UK.

Up until now I've had no troubles with the post, the package would have been larger than our postbox so would need to be delivered to the door.

So as I understand the message, (but maybe this information is misleading?) .. the package was attempted for delivery, i.e., not delivered successfully to anyone, not given to a neighbour, a card should have been left to request a re-delivery or pickup from the local post office, but wasn't, hence I've not known about my package which has been possibly sitting in my local post office for collection since the 13th April, although my spidey-senses say some fucker has probably stolen it.

Sidenote: A neighbour has also posted something up on the door recently about not receiving a package and no note was left at all, tried his door just now and not in, will try later.

We know that we were in that day (13th April), the post never comes that early (07:22), usually more like 10:30 - 13:00 so I assume 07:22 is the time they load up for deliveries? No-one rang our door, I would have picked up as I was expecting a package.

As I see it, either:

* Postman tried to deliver, didn't bother leaving a card (so how the fuck am I meant to know there's a package waiting for me)

* Postman delivering post is stealing

* Postman delivered post by placing it next to our door, someone else stole it (unlikely, I've never seen any post just left out in our place)

* Something else I'm not thinking of?

Anyone else experienced anything similar to this?

I guess I'm pissed off because I've never had delivery troubles in my life and now it seems me and another person in the flat are not getting things, oh and to top it all off on a possibly related note, someone stole the worthless front-door ornament which wishes our guests a 'warm welcome' :angry:

My conclusion at the moment is that you can't have anything nice in this world without some thieving bastard trying to steal it, I fear that my package has gone the same way, but I'll be glad to be proved wrong tomorrow. :(

Posted

google

DHL Sendungsverfolgung, available in english, with your reference number you should be able to find out what happened

Posted

* Something else I'm not thinking of?

Deutsche Post is shit ass slow. There is a whole rant tread knocking around about how slow they are. Not even two weeks yet!

Posted

sosarx: thanks for the info, that wasn't a page I had found before, tried the ref no. but came back with nothing for that reference number.

greenface222: I hope it's as simple as the message that Royal Mail reports is bullshit and delivery hasn't actually been attempted yet. Maybe it has been caught up in the Easter post or something, will hopefully know something useful tomorrow, thanks.

Posted

unless it was sent RM AirSure, PF Global Express or PF Global Priority, RM tracking is only to when it leaves the UK and not beyond.

Posted

if it was delivered from the UK you might want to try Zollamt. they might be sittin on it.

Posted

auniquecorn: thanks for the info, going to go down to Deutsche Post and kick some arse this morning to find out where the feck it is

Seenajean1: that sucks, I mean how is causing yourself more admin by having to return to sender because some postal-tosser doesn't leave a card the makings of an efficient post service... this is good, getting warmed up for this morning :)

Posted

I have had multiple instances where they did not leave a card, once even sending the package back.

Posted

Is it possible that someone simply stole the card, and will go to pick up the package? That was my first thought after mentioning your Welcome ornament.

While technically you shouldn't be able to pick up a package without identification, most times I've gone to Deutche Post / DHL they have simply given me the package without additional ID.

Posted

techgirl: my hunch is the worthless ornament was probably taken by some scumbag werbung postal spammer, they always look dodgy. The yellow card if it was posted is not reasonably retrievable out of the postbox, will know in the next hour or so and be sure to update you (hopefully with a positive outcome)

Posted

Sometimes it updates the status as 'attempted delivery' when it arrives at the Zollamt.

Just be patient, your package might still arrive.

Posted

I've found sending packages from UK to Germany is best with a courier and not RM. Gone are the days when you needed to be a business. They will pick up from your home. You can find the best price and order on sites like: http://www.parcel2go.com/

I've had packages arrive in two days and only cost 5 quid

Posted

DHL reminds me of the deutschebahn, absolutely clueless. Throw in a holliday and ......

Best to dress up as a pantomine and go "ask" for it back. It probably the only way they can really feel how they treat us.

Posted

I really like DPD, really fast and efficient. Have you tried your local post office? I believe that that is where the Royal Mail deliveries go, sometimes the card gets blown away if the postie couldn't get access to the building and it blows away. Or do you have a local business in your bulding who is there during the day? Packages often get left with them, I should know I have one and get parcels all the time. It amazes me how often people don't come to collect their parcels.

Posted

So... went to local Deutsche Post office and asked to see if they have it, they didn't and couldn't help me but give me a free-phone number to call, yay(!)

Phoned freephone number, "sorry we can't help you, we only deal with national deliveries not International, you have to phone this number which costs money" <_<

Phoned non-free number, it's constantly busy (got to love how the freephone number works like a charm and the number that costs doesn't work) :angry:

Phoned Royal Mail, real delivery status is "Unknown delivery status, contact customer services", Royal Mail can only tell me that they've given it to zee Germans and zee Germans have not sent it return to sender (because it get's tracked also on it's way back, it's being sent by registered post).

Great so at this point all I really know is that it's in Germany lost or not, whoopie-doo.

Ended up phoning the company I ordered from (www.foska.com) straight through onto the phone and within 2 minutes they said they'd take the hit and send out another package and asked if I end up receiving two if I could do a return to sender :o

tl;dr: standard delivery companies are useless and can't tell you shit about their logistics, Foska.com is amazingly awesome

Posted

We had an issue with a package sent recorded to our address. My BIL sent it to my wife, in her maiden name. DHL (who dealt with it this end) couldn't find her name on the doorbells so went away, and posted the "while you were out" card. By the time the card arrived, they'd returned the package to sender.

I think the parcel had been sent royal mail so it doesn't follow that DP are going to deliver something that started in the postal system of another country.

Posted

I've come back home after being out for several hours to find a package on our doorstep (which is probably 20-25 feet (6 or 7 metres)) from the pavement/sidewalk. Clearly they tried to ring the doorbell, got no answer, and just left it there. wtf is that about. It's only because I live in a quiet little village that they can get away with crap like that. If someone had taken it, I'd be in the same position - no package and no card and no idea at what point I start complaining that "they" haven't sent me my ordered item.

Posted

UPDATE: Replacement package arrived, 2nd time lucky *phew* had a Deutsche Post "we're looking into your lost package letter" but don't expect anything will materialise.

Posted

ha! Lucky you! Had that happened to me around Christmas last year. I never got my package or card. Luckily I got a full refund from the company that I had order from.

Posted

I've generally been pretty impressed with Deutsche Post. They certainly do a better job than Australia Post, from what I've seen, but I had the weirdest thing happen to me a few weeks ago.

A friend of mine in Austria sent me a belated birthday gift, and sure enough, a week after she told me, two blocks of Cadbury chocolate arrive in (an open) envelope, but sealed in a plastic bag. WooHoo! Down they went, and then I wrote a big thank you email to said Austrian friend.

She promptly wrote back, asked me if I was joking, and told me she'd sent me some dvd's - no chocolate at all. Someone had done a switch (which left me scratching my head. Why not just take the dvd's? Why substitute two blocks of chocolate? And CADBURY chocolate? It really did make me think she'd gone to some trouble to remind me of home... curiouser and curiouser...

So I went to Deutsche Post and asked them what they thought had happened, and was very quickly told that of course the problem must be at the Austrian end, because, well, you know these Oesterreicher!

Bizarre....

Posted

maybe a couple of packages got damaged and they put 'em back in the wrong ones.

I've had so many damaged/opened things sealed in DP plastic bags.

Posted

I empathize: my mother (from New England, in the USA) sent a favorite dress, along with some art supplies and some homeade maple syrup (she taps maple trees and boils the sap down into the finest syrup you have ever tasted-- truly a labor of love), to my address here in Berlin. The package never arrived. It was sent in late December. Ultimately, it was returned to my mother the last week of March minus the half gallon of maple syrup. Three months passed in which no card, no alert, was sent to my box or hers... Granted, in the USA, everything is privatized now-- from the postal service to the school lunch caterers to the army. Everything is corporate, capitalist, and profit-driven...This is partly why I have expatriated to Berlin... But for f*ck's sake: can an expat painter not receive a dress, a few markers, and some maple syrup here in Deutchland?

By the way, I, as a US citizen, am disgusted by the lack of dignity displayed by my compatriots in their flag-waving celebration around Osama Bin Laden's "death". (The guy was "buried at sea")...I remember when Americans were indignant when the destruction of the twin towers was celebrated; now they, too, are celebrating destruction and death. Too bad they won't turn out en masse to protest the banks and the government. The truth is, I find it amazing that planes have not flown into American financial institutions every day for the past decade...

Posted

perhaps you aren't allowed to import home made maple syrup into the EU?

Posted

I've had this happen to me numerous times, packages go straight to the Post Office, little or no notification from them. I have also had two packages that were sent by me to England and two that were sent to England for me that either never turned up at all, or turned up battered and wrapped in a transparent plastic bag weeks later. Of course the latter issue could be the fault of Royal Mail, but I really don't trust Deutsche Post, the people that work for DP have fairly typical attitudes for employees of state owned businesses in this country; complacent, lazy and generally rude.

Posted

I don't use DP anymore - these guys are great: http://www.parcel2go.com/