Good sites to order electronics in Germany

29 posts in this topic

Posted

Any good web sites which I can order some electronic items which I can receive in a couple of days? I would like to order from Amazon.de but I can't read German. Do they accept foreign credit card?

Posted

find what you want on amazon.co.uk and either order it for £4 shipping (if you buy direct from amazon) - or find it on amazon.co.uk copy&paste the product name into amazon.de

the whole point is credit cards can be used anywhere.

Posted

I recommend you to use amazon.de with a translator. You know the product you want to buy and can easily figure out the price on page. Price of Electronic items on amazon are pretty good compared to other websites.

I agree with greenface222 on credit card.

Else go to MediaMarkt close to you and purchase :)

Posted

find what you want on amazon.co.uk and either order it for £4 shipping (if you buy direct from amazon) - or find it on amazon.co.uk copy&paste the product name into amazon.de

the whole point is credit cards can be used anywhere.

Do they charge any tax and stuff extra for electronic items for Amazon uk? Some products seem to be cheaper there.

Posted

Amazon.co.uk will bill you in Euros, so if you're using a UK credit card you may lose out on the exchange rate. The only charge above the cost of the item will be shipping, which you can check before ordering. There is no tax/import duty as the transaction is conducted within the EU.

Posted

I recommend you to use amazon.de with a translator. You know the product you want to buy and can easily figure out the price on page. Price of Electronic items on amazon are pretty good compared to other websites.

I agree with greenface222 on credit card.

Else go to MediaMarkt close to you and purchase

Except MediaMarkt don't or didn't take credit cards such as Visa/Mastercard etc :(

Posted

Do they charge any tax and stuff extra for electronic items for Amazon uk? Some products seem to be cheaper there.

not if you order within the EU. I often buy from amazon.co.uk as it's cheaper for electronics - if you buy directly from amazon (as apposed to a third party seller) a lot of the stuff comes from a central EU warehouse anyway.

often, you can just replace the .co.uk with .de in the URL and the product comes up -- if it is being sold directly by amazon. bear in mind the plug can be wrong, and not all items ship with a selection.

Amazon.co.uk will bill you in Euros, so if you're using a UK credit card you may lose out on the exchange rate. The only charge above the cost of the item will be shipping, which you can check before ordering. There is no tax/import duty as the transaction is conducted within the EU.

not ture. a card that draws sterling is charged in sterling to buy amazon.co.uk. the same card would be charged in euros with amazon.de

Posted

Oh yeah, when I am ordering, do I just enter the name of the apartment's door bell followed by the street? They will press the bell and bring it right to my door step? What if I am not at home? I am currently renting a room.

Posted

ask your flat mates?

normally the bell has your name on it in Germany, and the postman matches the addressee to the bell. If it has just a number - use that.

if you aren't in they leave a card telling you either:

- left with a neighbour

- you to collect from a local shop (like a newsagent)

- they will try again

Posted

I would like to order from Amazon.de but I can't read German. Do they accept foreign credit card?

Does your credit card have an "Aufenthaltserlaubnis" ? if not , then no chance

Posted

Does your credit card have an "Aufenthaltserlaubnis" ? if not , then no chance

why no chance? my visa/amex/mastercard all work are they arn't with german banks and my addresses isn't registered in germany.

Posted

why no chance? my visa/amex/mastercard all work are they arn't with german banks and my addresses isn't registered in germany.

weird.

Posted

weird.

hardly. I used them to buy goods all over the world. as do many other people with credit cards.

Posted

Humour?? weird!

Posted

lol @ "Aufenthaltserlaubnis"

Posted

Oh yeah, when I am ordering, do I just enter the name of the apartment's door bell followed by the street? They will press the bell and bring it right to my door step? What if I am not at home? I am currently renting a room.

Register with DHL/Deutsche Post for a Packstation address, you can collect the package when it's convenient for you.

Posted

not ture. a card that draws sterling is charged in sterling to buy amazon.co.uk. the same card would be charged in euros with amazon.de

If your delivery address is in Germany, amazon.co.uk will bill you in Euros...

Posted

If your delivery address is in Germany, amazon.co.uk will bill you in Euros...

I've never done that to me in three years. They certainly didn't on my last order - two days ago.

Posted

Alright I've managed to order from amazon.de. Got the premium shipping for 6 euros, says it shipped off yesterday. Hope it will arrive either today or tomorrow cause I have to stay home to collect it.

Posted

good job - although amazon is generally fast and you probably don't need the premium shipping...

Posted

I was hoping to get it faster than 5 working days with the premium shipping but it still says expected delivery day this Friday.

Posted

amazon's standard shipping normally arrives 2 days later.

Posted

I'm quite partial to http://www.gunstiger.de and http://www.hoh.de/ for when I order PC components, or electronics. Gunstiger will show several prices from various suppliers and is often competitive with Amazon. The two sites are in German, so you might want to have a translator tab open if the language is an issue.

Personally, I often go with hoh.de because they are located not too far away (Augsburg) and I've had good customer service (yes, it does exist here) regarding warranty returns. You can even pick items up at their warehouse if you have the transportation.

Bear in mind, that the same items from different countries can have a different warranties. The cheap price in the US is tempting when you're on vacation, however the 2 year standard warranty in Germany will come in handy especially if on something finicky like a 400 euro graphics card that craps out after a year and a half.

~S

Posted

Wat is it you need? If you're shopping for computers or computer parts I can really recommend you this e-store: hardwareversand. I have bought many things there, top packaging, fast delivery and good prices

Posted

Except MediaMarkt don't or didn't take credit cards such as Visa/Mastercard etc sad.gif

Conrad does, incidentally.