23andMe genetic testing for disease and ancestry

24 posts in this topic

Posted

23andMe.com is a service that will run a complete analysis of your DNA.

From the blurb on their website:

Gain insight into your traits, from baldness to muscle performance. Discover risk factors for 97 diseases. Know your predicted response to drugs, from blood thinners to coffee. And uncover your ancestral origins.

The way it works is:

1) you order a kit on the website

2) they send you a test tube in the post

3) you spit in the tube and send it back

4) Four to six weeks later you log into the website and can read all about your DNA

I've done this and received my results. It's great. It opens your eyes to what diseases you might be at increased risk from, as well as biological traits you might not be aware of (e.g. lactose intolerance, caffeine metabolism, bitter taste perception). I'd highly recommend it.

And yesterday they had a sale. I only just spotted this. It runs until midnight California time, so that means there is exactly 43 minutes from time of this post to place an order. You still pay shipping, and a year's subscription, so the total would be €118, instead of the usual €256.

post-16-13025890714323.jpg

Posted

Well spill Bob! Are you part of any master race?

Or are you mods some kind of separate genetic group? :)

Posted

Why would I need a years worth of subscription for information that isn't going to change?

Posted

Oo! Schnippish today old chap! Then I'd "friend" you over there old boy.

tbh i no longer use FB so much, I rather prefer your forum, but reserve the right to tease! I think it's healthy!

On a serious note, did it give any idea of your ancestral heritage, like which original British tribe you may have come from i.e., Angles, Saxons, Norse, Celts - that type of thing?

Edit: Well I checked out your report and found it interesting. However I reckon the best thing is to go to your doc and request a blood and urine test. I just had one done for insurance reasons.

I was relieved to find out all my values were fine, even my liver! The only slightly off one was my thyroid, which I am starting to think is an issue for many of us expats not born in Bavaria.

Given they got your curly hair value wrong, I think DNA tests are interesting, but I'd attach some caution to their analysis until they've got stuff like that perfect. Otherwise you may end up worrying about diseases you may be misdiagnosed as being susceptible to.

In short, I'd go the blood test route with your good local Jerry doctor like I did.

I was surprised to find out my liver is okay, after my sessions on the Bayerischer Best out here, but I am wondering if thanks to the Reinheitsgebot here if it is actually not too destructive of our system compared to beer in the UK, which is full of chemicals.

Posted

did it give any idea of your ancestral heritage ?

My paternal line:

post-16-13025936224605.png

My maternal line:

post-16-13025936272537.png

There's a bunch of detailed text about ancestry, geography, and haplogroups too.

It doesn't get down to which tribe (?!) you're from, but it does say whether you're Basque or Irish or whatever.

Posted

Sounds interesting, but! €118,

Are you getting a cut?

Posted

The only slightly off one was my thyroid, which I am starting to think is an issue for many of us expats not born in Bavaria.

This BBC news story may interest you.

Posted

Oh man, wish hubby was not in the elternzeit I would totally do this. I have to save up, I want to do it some day.

We have some adoptions in our family, back in the good old days when teen pregnancies on the farm were hidden and a family took in the baby without any documentations.

I would love to find out the cultural heritage part, though the health aspects are interesting as well.

Posted

This is a dumb question, but how did you send the kit back? I went to several post offices (both "real" post offices as well as a few run by franchisees) trying to mail mine back, but they all said that they couldn't accept a third-party billing number, like the one printed on the label that came with the kit.

Posted

Sweet westvan I will check them out too.

Has anyone done this with native american ancestry? Did it give actual tribal information or just location?

Looks like NG is just one blood line, so it would be 200 for both parents.

Posted

Jeremy - be careful about iodine supplements until you find out whether your thyroid issues are autoimmune related or 'just' low thyroid.

Posted

Yeah WV I am getting my thyroid ultraschall tomorrow to make sure.

That is if my son is well enuff for KG again.

Posted

23andMe - one of the best things I've ever done.

Now with a $99 special offer for Christmas.

post-16-13552509525963.png

Posted

What are people's experiences with having the kit shipped to Germany? Did you have to collect it from the Zollamt / pay the customs?

Posted

Although the ad that Bob has posted implies that it's a holiday special offer, according to this website, the $99 dollar price is going to be a permanent fixture:

http://techcrunch.com/2012/12/11/23andnotme/

Just in case anyone else, like me, is mad keen to do this but doesn't want to spare the cash right now.

Posted

a voluntary dna database...interesting and nobody screaming big brother

Posted

IWL, I had it delivered to my door here in Germany and didn't have to pay any customs.