Job applications rejected. What is my problem?

111 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello,

I am an Australian software engineer looking for work in Germany.

I applied to several positions in Germany, which were asking for several years of experience and knowledge in C++ which I have, but I never get called up for even a phone interview. It is always a nice rejection letter.

I have no idea why. I need some help figuring out what might be a problem. Maybe it is something I can improve in my application.

So here are my ideas:

Is it the work permit?

I dont have a work permit (the ads never mention this as a prerequisite) but in this forum and other place on the internet this isnt a big problem if the job offer is made.

Is it that my German isn't fluent?

I speak some basic German (I attended courses up to levels A1 and A2) and I believe I can get along just fine, around the city and around the shops and even in the office. I will learn the rest. Specially if the company is working on projects in English. In any case I only apply to ads in English or to ads in German that mention only that English is required and not German.

Is it the language of the application itself?

I always apply in English. If the ad is in German and I apply in English is this rejected right away even if the ad said "gute English kentnisse". I guess I could write an application in German. I know enough to write a simple application (with the help of Google) of course.

Is it my location?

I am not currently in Germany so it might be perceived costly to bring me for an interview to Germany. I am in Ukraine. I would however even come on my own expenses to the interview if the offer was serious (say after the phone interview or something).

Is it my experience?

I always apply for ads which require skills which I regularly have. I have an excellent engineering degree and excellent marks so I know it is not that. But could it be that my main portion of the experience is not in European or Australian company? I worked for several last years for an Ukrainian outsourcing company as a software engineer.

Is it my marital status

I am not married and therefore don't have a family. Is this counted against me or what. Do they think I would leave the company since I have nothing to tie me to that city where I move. Am I over-thinking this problem anyway.

Lastly It could just be that I do not fit for that position and this is fine. It is just statistically someone should have called me fo at least a phone interview after 30 applications. And all of these were for a position of Software Engineer with several years of experience in C++ which is what I am exactly.

Thank you for bearing with me and reading this post.

I wish I could just ask the company to state the reasons why they didn't consider me. It would make our lives much easier.

Best Wishes

Desert Fox

Posted

Thanks for quick replies.

I guess I can learn German better and apply in the language of whatever the ad is. At least to get to the phone interview stage and hope they dont ask me anything complicated on the interview. Or even I can come for a holiday into Germany and mention my temporary German address on the application.

@Conquistador, not eligible. I forgot to mention I am 34, so I got that not going for me as well :) .

Posted

Australia's economy is doing very well right now- why are you looking at positions in Germany?

Posted

@Conquistador

I have some family in Ukraine, I dont want to go far from them. Australia is like 40 million kilometers away and 20 hours flight time.

I already had a job offer in Australia but I turned it down for that reason.

Posted

Australia's economy is doing very well right now- why are you looking at positions in Germany?

No mutual extradition treaty? ;)

Posted

apply at some companies in the Ukraine. it´s a start. and then work your way towards Germany.

Posted

I guess I can learn German better and apply in the language of whatever the ad is. At least to get to the phone interview stage and hope they dont ask me anything complicated on the interview.

you can't become fluent quickly though. if you can't currently work in German, you're better off having your application in English: an employer who doesn't mind is not going to reject you for it, and those who do mind aren't going to be fooled, and they'll just reject you a bit later when they find out, wasting both their time and yours.

how's your CV quality as well? you can have a poorly written/presented CV in any language.

Posted

Do you understand how they send their CV in Germany? CVs are about an inch thick. You have to document everything.

Posted

Hello,

I am an Australian software engineer looking for work in Germany.

I applied to several positions in Germany, which were asking for several years of experience and knowledge in C++ which I have, but I never get called up for even a phone interview. It is always a nice rejection letter.

I have no idea why. I need some help figuring out what might be a problem. Maybe it is something I can improve in my application.

So here are my ideas:

Is it the work permit?

I dont have a work permit (the ads never mention this as a prerequisite) but in this forum and other place on the internet this isnt a big problem if the job offer is made.

I speak some basic German (I attended courses up to levels A1 and A2) and I believe I can get along just fine, around the city and around the shops and even in the office. I will learn the rest. Specially if the company is working on projects in English. In any case I only apply to ads in English or to ads in German that mention only that English is required and not German.

I always apply in English. If the ad is in German and I apply in English is this rejected right away even if the ad said "gute English kentnisse". I guess I could write an application in German. I know enough to write a simple application (with the help of Google) of course.

Is it my location?

I am not currently in Germany so it might be perceived costly to bring me for an interview to Germany. I am in Ukraine. I would however even come on my own expenses to the interview if the offer was serious (say after the phone interview or something).

Is it my experience?

I always apply for ads which require skills which I regularly have. I have an excellent engineering degree and excellent marks so I know it is not that. But could it be that my main portion of the experience is not in European or Australian company? I worked for several last years for an Ukrainian outsourcing company as a software engineer.

Is it my marital status

I am not married and therefore don't have a family. Is this counted against me or what. Do they think I would leave the company since I have nothing to tie me to that city where I move. Am I over-thinking this problem anyway.

Lastly It could just be that I do not fit for that position and this is fine. It is just statistically someone should have called me fo at least a phone interview after 30 applications. And all of these were for a position of Software Engineer with several years of experience in C++ which is what I am exactly.

Thank you for bearing with me and reading this post.

I wish I could just ask the company to state the reasons why they didn't consider me. It would make our lives much easier.

Best Wishes

Desert Fox

Hi,

The reason why you are not hired is none of them.

Let me explain.

It's all maths.

30 applications is simply not enough.

Do you know how many people apply to one single job ad?

If it's a public ad it's around 1000 people.

If you applied through a headhunter it's at least 40-50 people.

So here is the math, for every 100 applications you send, you'll get invited for 10 interviews.

I'll let you figure out the rest...

Posted

Hello

G'day. You're not going to like the answers.

Is it the work permit?

Of course the employer didn't talk about it. Why the hell should they expect to take on the expense and time and work of getting you a permit when there are enough people here who are qualified to do the job?

They DIDN'T make the offer, you pie-floater-eating dolt.

Any idea what it takes for a foreigner to get a fucking work permit in DownUndaLand?

What fucking good are you in a meeting if you don't understand the fucking language everyone is speaking? And you can't talk on the phone. And you can't read mails much less send them much less understand any possible subtlety or ambiguity.

As fucking awesome as the English language is (and I have a degree in knowing just how awesomely spectacularifficalistic it is), not everyone speaks it. Oddly enough, here in Germany they speak GERMAN. And you don't --I always apply in English -- you self-centered See You Next Tuesday.

If the ad is in German and I apply in English is this rejected right

Ef ég senda þér starfsleit umsokka á íslensku, lesið þú hana? Getur þú?

Is it my location?

Yes. We hate Aussies because you drink shit beer.

Is it my experience?

How much experience could you have if you apply for jobs in the wrong language and expect them to do all your work for you?

Is it my marital status

No one cares that you tried to marry a wallaby. At least, not if the statute of limitations has run out.

Jesus fucking christmas on a cracker, did you read your complaints as if it was some Indonesian fecker trying to get a job in Perth? THAT ALONE is reason not to hire you.

woof.

Posted

CVs are about an inch thick. You have to document everything.

Ah-ha! I know what it is! You're not sending a photo!

Posted

CVs are about an inch thick. You have to document everything.

Thickest CV i've ever seen was ~75 pages. Seriously. That applicant did about 50 different work trainings during a previous twenty-year job and documented every single one of them with a one-page certificate...

My own is ... eh, too lazy to check, roundabout 15-16 pages. And it doesn't document everything.

So here is the math, for every 100 applications you send, you'll get invited for 10 interviews.

Actually, the typical calculation i hear from people in that kind of business (career advisors) is for average 15-20%, not 10%. Provided CV etc are all optimized to what the companies want to hear and see beforehand.

Posted

DagBoddie

Thanks for saving me the time and effort. Very nice reply. Another idiot left wanting.

Ta ra

Posted

Are you also on linkedin and things like that? I know lots of people who have got computer jobs in Germany through that.

And yes, not having a work visa and not speaking German are big negatives. Remember, everyone you are going up against will also have several years experience etc. What you need to do is somehow standout from the crowd with some great positives which others don't have. Hopefully, they can counteract your negatives and make you attractive to the company.

Oh, and if English is your main selling point, you therefore have to make sure your application has perfect English. The original post had a few errors and it is little things like that which make people get suspicious and ultimately results in the application going in the bin.

Good luck!

Posted

If the ad is in German and I apply in English is this rejected right

Ef ég senda þér starfsleit umsokka á íslensku, lesið þú hana? Getur þú?

English is a bit more common as a 2nd language in Germany than Icelandic though but you do have a point. It is not uncommon in Germany that you have a company where almost nobody speaks English, including the management.

Thickest CV i've ever seen was ~75 pages. Seriously. That applicant did about 50 different work trainings during a previous twenty-year job and documented every single one of them with a one-page certificate...

My own is ... eh, too lazy to check, roundabout 15-16 pages. And it doesn't document everything.

Nice. My CV is 2 pages although it does have a picture and I have about 3 certificates and one reference letter in it. I leave out a lot of older stuff I consider irrelevant.

When I was forced to change manpower agencies, I took my CV with me to sign up with the new agency and so did one of my co-workers. Apparently we were about the only 2 guys out of 150 or something that even bothered to bring one.

Posted

You say you wish the company would tell you the reason why you didn't get a job. Well, why not phone the appropriate person in the company and just ask? Say you want to get their perspective and you'd like to know what you could do to improve your application for another position. I know someone who did that and he got lots of useful advice and it helped him get the next job that came along. There's no harm in asking.

Posted

Apparently we were about the only 2 guys out of 150 or something that even bothered to bring one.

Would never bother with it with a temp agency either. Although the last time i sent it ahead by email. Saved me half a page from their 14-page questionnaire for IT-related applications...

2) Write your CV in the German format and in German. Spend the money on a translator if you cannot do it on your own.

Or, while you do his 1), hire a (English-speaking German) career coach to work on your German CV if you can spare the money.