Switch internet provider

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all,

Here's my current situation:

I surf internet with Vodafone, I'm very happy with their service, but for a 6,000 Mb/s connection, every month I pay €29.95.

I've seen that several other providers can offer better speeds at a lower price, so although I'm happy with Vodafone, I prefer saving money and getting a higher speed ;)

Do you know if to quit a contract with Vodafone I need to pay something? I've been using it for almost 2 years now.

Also, which other provider do you suggest?

Unitymedia seems to offer a good speed/price ratio (16,000 Mb/s for €20), but as far as I know that's a cable connection and I'll need a Wi-Fi router to send the signal to two laptops and a PS3.

Any suggestion will be very appreciated, thanks.

Posted

While you will need to check your contract it's likely you signed up for a minimum 2 years with Vodafone and if you don't cancel within 3 months of the end of the minimum period then the contract extends for another year and once again you need to cancel 3 months before the end of that period. If you want to leave before the end of the contracted period, and have no good reason to do so then they'll simply charge you for the remainder of the time to the end of the contract, so there is no benefit in moving away, unless you can schedule it to coincide with the contract renewal and remember to formally cancel 3 or more months before.

Posted

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the quick reply.

I've got this reply from Unitymedia:

Der Vertrag hat eine Mindestvertragslaufzeit von 12 Monaten. Einmalig werden 19,90 € Aktivierungsgebühr berechnet. Der Vertrag beim bisherigen Anbieter wird nur von uns gekündigt, wenn Sie die Rufnummer mitnehmen möchten. Ansonsten würden wir Sie bitten, den Vertrag selbst zu kündigen. Unity 1play 16000 würde Sie 20 €/Monat kosten.

What do you think? Does that mean that I won't have to pay contract-termination fees?

Posted

The response from Unitymedia has nothing to do with cancellation fees from your current provider. They will action your cancellation (i.e. send in your request to cancel) if you want to keep your current number, otherwise you do it yourself. In both cases the cancellation clause will apply, so you'll either have to wait until the end of the current contract (which could be as long as 14 months away) or you'll have to pay it off.

Posted

Thanks a lot for the info!

I'll check with my landlord, the contract maybe expiring in August, so timing should be on my side.

I really appreciate your help, that clarifies the whole procedure, so thank you very much :)

Posted

Much though I hate to ask this question, but what has it to do with your landlord?

Posted

Ah, she took care of the paperwork, I only pull out the money ;)

Posted

I have internet thru cable deutschland, 100 Mbits/s which I think is super fast, I´m not a guru. and also with a WLAN-Router, 19.90 a month.

Posted

No one so far has mentioned that if and when you do notify Vodaphone that you want to cancel your contract you will be spammed / phoned unrelentlessly by their sales dept as they attempt to keep you as a customer.If you play your cards right you should be able to wring the faster internet connection and the cheaper monthly rate out of Vodaphone without the hassle of changing your provider. The german providers seem to have a reverse operating customer loyalty policy that only kicks in when it looks as though they will lose you as a customer.

Posted

help .

I have vodafone usb internet for 19.95 euro with 2 years contract . Because it is only 10 Gb after the 10gb it gets slow .i wanted to change it and want to come on 29.95 contract which is unlimited . But vodafone said that i cant change it nor cancel the contract . Any1 know about this can i change it or cancel it? ?

Because it getting difficult to survive with 10 gb per month for 2 years.

Posted

No you can't cancel it.However it is very strange that you can't change it to the 29.95 contract as usually they will change your contract and you will then restart on a new 2 year contract.

Posted

I use http://www.cablesurf.de/.

I pay 11 Euros for 20 Mbps for first 10 months. After that it is 20 euro I guess. Really happy with service. I connected 2 laptops 2 mobilephones and a TV with the router and it works fine.

Posted

help .

I have vodafone usb internet for 19.95 euro with 2 years contract . Because it is only 10 Gb after the 10gb it gets slow .i wanted to change it and want to come on 29.95 contract which is unlimited . But vodafone said that i cant change it nor cancel the contract . Any1 know about this can i change it or cancel it? ?

Because it getting difficult to survive with 10 gb per month for 2 years.

As Keleth said, Vodafone should be willing to upgrade your contract (which will reset the contract clock, as he noted). Did you use the magic word "upgrade" in your conversation with the Vodafone representative?

And are you sure you're with Vodafone and not with another provider who piggybacks on their network? Because the cheapo providers tend to be less flexible (because they minimize their customer service to save money).

I use http://www.cablesurf.de/.

I pay 11 Euros for 20 Mbps for first 10 months. After that it is 20 euro I guess. Really happy with service. I connected 2 laptops 2 mobilephones and a TV with the router and it works fine.

Largely irrelevant here, because we're talking about a mobile contract.