What happened in the 90s?

113 posts in this topic

Posted

Right then,

I am as many know a 70s obssessed nutter.

However it came to me via various channels that music woke up after an 80s hiatus. Rave music started up, those TR808s started to become cool things to have. The Propellerheads in Sweden developed a software version of the 808, spawning a huge subculture.

Here are some of the artists of the era I loved. Help me find similar....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOENAAISOxY

Posted

The Seattle scene and grunge!

Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, etc. Need I say more.

Posted

Genaow! I was there just after Cobain topped himself! i am talking 1995. Ten was a fave album, alice in Chains in Red Rock Sedona, hand jo... oh shit.

Edit; might I say that is one fantastic PJ song?

Posted

woke up after an 80s hiatus
how dare you! 80s were the biz!

Posted

The 90s also gave us the Lighthouse Family, which in my mind perfectly justifies destroying the decade with grenades.

Posted

and vanessa Paradis!!! :unsure:

Posted

how dare you! 80s were the biz!

They indeed were. Rick Astley was a much misunderstod artist. As we were.

Posted

Shit! I have reached the Pearl Jam motherlode!

Were they the best of this era?

Posted

Right then, who can update me on who is still alive from the Seattle era.

I didn't know the bands that well but loved their stuff. Used to get Northern Exposure on out telly too.

Posted

Shit! I have reached the Pearl Jam motherlode!

Only if you're into 70s throwbacks with a penchant for endless guitar solos. ;)

One band who straddled the decade and didn't make it out (splitting up at the end of 1999) were the mighty Pavement...

Posted

The only PJ song I like!

One song that brings back memories for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B1ENLLR8cw

Posted

But, I have to say, still my favorite band to this day-

Posted

And one more, then I'm off to work. At the Drive In! These guys broke up, and formed two great bands, Sparta and The Mars Volta. The latter competing with Tool for my top spot. :)

Posted

However it came to me via various channels that music woke up in the 80s after dying a death in the 70s an 80s hiatus.

Mended that for you.

Posted

Pearl Jam always were and still are the Pink Floyd of their Era - Utter drivel.

Posted

And one more, then I'm off to work. At the Drive In! These guys broke up, and formed two great bands, Sparta and The Mars Volta. The latter competing with Tool for my top spot.

I shudder at you even mentioning the holy ATDI in even the forum as "Tool" (nomen is omen) [1] but they were gods. First time I saw them there were about 30 people there. The next time they came to town I couldnt get in and there were more people on the pavement outside than in the club.

[1] Actually I quite like Tool but never understood the fanatiscism they seem to engender

Posted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cACA7AB1T8

Posted

Cobain is the most overrated entertainer of all time : fact.

Posted

The nineties spanned my life from age 10 to age 20, so its always going to be the defining decade for me...the one which shapes you as a man.

The start of the nineties was absolutely fucking bobbins though, a daily quest not to get my head kicked in at school for being a little fatty together with some of the worst music known to man (from what I remember, lets take 80s disco and dance and put it on the track towards the mid 90s, whilst sucking all the soul out of it...2 Unlimited anyone).

The mid-90s were grunge driven, but I didnt get into it till after Cobain was dead. Then there was the birth of "super clubbing", where you would go to a club and drink nothing but water, take pills and just dance. From 96 to 99 I saw most of the best DJs in the world, not to mention the festivals...seeing Britpop at its pomp, indie domination and also some great metal as well.

And the nineties gave us Muse and the Presidents of the USA, for that I will always be grateful.

Oh, and I got my end away as well ;)

Posted

It's possibly just an age thing (being 14 at the time and knowing every single word, every single riff, every single kick), but Rossoneri, you're totally right, and the Presidents of the USA self-titled is right up there in my top albums of all time pick.

Gold of the 90s: Faithless, Radiohead, Blur, Beck, Chemical Brothers, Massive Attack, Portishead, the Dandy Warhols, the Brian Jonestown Massacre, Underworld, Tori Amos, Ween, and as my patriotic gesture of Australianism, the great indie bands of the 90s - You Am I, Grinspoon, silverchair, the Church, Powderfinger, Custard, Something for Kate, Regurgitator.