English people in Dortmund

134 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all,

so i'm starting to wonder if any English people actually live anywhere near me. I actually live in Witten, with the closest city being Dortmund, which is where i spend my weekends.

Have been living here nearly a year now and have not met a single english person...

would really enjoy a few drinks and talking english...

must be on a weekend, but apart from that i'm easy with time/place...

hope to hear from some of you soon...or am i really alone in this area?! :(

Posted

Hi Dani,

I also live in Dortmund. Same prob here. I normally go to Cologne on weekends, but if sometime I decided to stay in Dortmund on weekend, let's meet up for a drink. :)

Posted

ah, i'm not alone :D

i'm actually thinking of moving to Dortmund, since i'm there with my German friends on most weekends!

weekends are the only time i have time, next few saturdays are already full, its hard having a social life when you work 6 day weeks! :(

but sundays are free, if that suits you? i go to Alex [the bar/restaurant] quite often, if you know it? in city centre :)

Posted

Hello Dani,

I live in Dortmund and normally avaiable on weekends. It would be nice to meet english speaking people.

One more thing you are not alone having this problem... May be we need something like this

http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=191828

Posted

Hi Guys,

I will be living in Dortmund for the summer and would also love the chance to meet up with some English speakers. Let me know!

Sarah

Posted

Hello Dani,

I live in Dortmund and normally avaiable on weekends. It would be nice to meet english speaking people.

One more thing you are not alone having this problem... May be we need something like this

http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=191828

is that a recurring meet then? i keep seeing them on here but they're all too far away :(

anyone any suggestions as to where? or does Alex suit?

Posted

Hi Guys,

I will be living in Dortmund for the summer and would also love the chance to meet up with some English speakers. Let me know!

Sarah

Hey Sarah,

when will you be moving then? is it just for the summer, temp? :)

Posted

Hi.

Dani: if you work every week day at Witten and go every weekend to Dortmund... I think it makes sense to stay living in Witten ( 5 > 2 ). But you know better if you will be happier livng in Dortmund :) Particularly if the point is that you would like to meet up with friends on week days (evening or whatever).

Disclaimer: I'm not English (nor a native speaker).

Ivo.

Posted

Hi,

@Ivo

Thanks for your disclaimer :) , which also reminded me that i am also not a native speaker.

@Dani

Alex is ok. I can make it on sunday at 15:00. Does Saturday evening suits you also??

@ All

we do not need to be native speakers to enjoy some drinks together... :P

Posted

Hey there, my hubby and I come from Ireland and sometimes have the same bother. Sometimes u just want to have a drink and not worry bout the german word for something! We are in bochum and always up for a wee drink and a bit of a laugh with new folks so we should all meet sometime :-)

Posted

Hi.

Dani: if you work every week day at Witten and go every weekend to Dortmund... I think it makes sense to stay living in Witten ( 5 > 2 ). But you know better if you will be happier livng in Dortmund Particularly if the point is that you would like to meet up with friends on week days (evening or whatever).

Disclaimer: I'm not English (nor a native speaker).

Ivo.

Ivo, you're probably right. Plus the last few weekends i've been in Dortmund i've seen the really "Assi" [or chavvy] areas "the hood" and it put me right off :(! plus travelling to Dortmund on the weekend is free with my ticket, moving to dortmund to work in Witten would cost an extra €30 per month!

Hi,

@Dani

Alex is ok. I can make it on sunday at 15:00. Does Saturday evening suits you also??

eeeh i didn't check this over the weekend.. Saturdays fit too yup... only 2/4/11 i'm going to Düsseldorf, part from that i'm free.

was maybe thinking we should meet somewhere and walk to Alex? because alex is usually busy and it would be hard to recognise one another?

Hey there, my hubby and I come from Ireland and sometimes have the same bother. Sometimes u just want to have a drink and not worry bout the german word for something! We are in bochum and always up for a wee drink and a bit of a laugh with new folks so we should all meet sometime :-)

Hey there... exactly the reason i'm trying to get this meet-up going...good old chin-wag, with some much missed [on my part] slang! Bochums not far. do you know your way round dortmund?

I'm pleasantly surprised by all the english speakers popping up in the area, looking forward to it!

Posted

Hi, I'll be moving from Munich to Dortmund at the end of May. I'd certainly welcome the chance to have a drink with English people / native English speakers, maybe even make some new friends.

Though my German isn't too bad, it's still a lot of work to keep up with a conversation in a noisy bar.

Posted

Did any meetups happen? I am also English and living in Dortmund and agree it would be great to meet up for old fashioned English drinks and chat. Let me know if you managed to get a regular time going or if anyone is free to meet up.

Thanks, Jo

Posted

Not that I know of until now. How bout meeting next Wednesday then? May 4th around 8PM for a drink or two?

Cheers,

Deedee

Posted

Hi Deedee,

Meetup sounds great although I can't do Wednesday - are you free to switch it to Thursday next week at 8PM?

Thanks, Jo

Posted

I normally go to Cologne for Thursday Night Drink Club Cologne Thursdays, but I can do Thursday next week. 8PM sounds good. Where do you want to meet? Limerick is closed now. For me anywhere in the city is good, and if the weather allows I'd prefer sitting outside so I can take the dog.

Posted

ooo i can make next Thursday 8pm too, have early shift :)

as for where... I'm not really bothered, don't know that many places either, when i meet my german friends we go to Alex, so I'm open to suggestions :)

Posted

hey live in gelsenkirchen, would also love to met some english speakers, free most weekends and wouldnt mind drinks in dortmund

Posted

Great, how about we meet at Esquina in Kreuzviertel - its a really nice bar and has outdoor seating if the weather is good to keep the dog happy! Here's a link with details and directions

http://www.esquina.de/rahg.htm

If thats ok then see you all then, if someone has other suggestions please feel free!

Looking forward to it, Jo

Posted

Hi,

That sounds cool and I like to join you for a couple for drinks. So is this meeting still on this Thursday 8pm in the Esquina? I hope it’s ok that I’ll join you as a non native English speaker.

All the best